Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Current events (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Drop George Zimmerman’s Murder Charge (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=4017)

djv8ga 05-18-2012 12:48 PM

Drop George Zimmerman’s Murder Charge

A column by the racist Righty, Alan Dershowitz.
http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/d...sEnabled=false

noonereal 05-18-2012 01:41 PM

I have said from the beginning that Zimmerman is not guilty of murder under the law.

"A defendant, under Florida law, loses his “stand your ground” defense if he provoked the encounter — but he retains traditional self-defense if he reasonably believed his life was in danger and his only recourse was to employ deadly force."

So according to this article he has no "stand your ground" protection. I think we all agree on this.

The next consideration is, did he have reason to fear for his life?

Maybe but (and this is a very big but) he caused the situation that may have caused him to fear for his life.

I have no clue how the law handles this but common sense makes this an open and shut case.

djv8ga 05-18-2012 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noonereal (Post 102663)
I have said from the beginning that Zimmerman is not guilty of murder under the law.

"A defendant, under Florida law, loses his “stand your ground” defense if he provoked the encounter — but he retains traditional self-defense if he reasonably believed his life was in danger and his only recourse was to employ deadly force."

So according to this article he has no "stand your ground" protection. I think we all agree on this.

The next consideration is, did he have reason to fear for his life?

Maybe but (and this is a very big but) he caused the situation that may have caused him to fear for his life.

I have no clue how the law handles this but common sense makes this an open and shut case.

Documents released yesterday say that He did not follow Martin after the police operator told him not to. To me, that is huge.
I notice the main stream media doesn't want to talk about this.

bobabode 05-18-2012 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djv8ga (Post 102667)
Documents released yesterday say that He did not follow Martin after the police operator told him not to. To me, that is huge.

Source?

piece-itpete 05-18-2012 01:59 PM

There's still more to come so who knows. I don't see where a concerned citizen watching someone a'la block watch voids anything though.

Pete

noonereal 05-18-2012 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piece-itpete (Post 102674)
There's still more to come so who knows. I don't see where a concerned citizen watching someone a'la block watch voids anything though.

Pete

I have got to be honest. Posts like this infuriate me.

noonereal 05-18-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djv8ga (Post 102667)

I heard the opposite yesterday. Even the police report says that Zimmerman caused the confrontation by not listening to the police who told him not to continue stalking the kid.

CarlV 05-18-2012 02:10 PM

Yep, I still see manslaughter, but obviously they still may be more.

Carl

bhunter 05-18-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noonereal (Post 102681)
I heard the opposite yesterday. Even the police report says that Zimmerman caused the confrontation by not listening to the police who told him not to continue stalking the kid.

What the hell does the dispatcher's opinion matter in the case? Stalking is a stretch. You wouldn't watch someone unfamiliar if you lived in a gated community? Doesn't our benevolent government want us to watch and report suspicious actions to presumably curtail terrorist acts? You do not, and no one but Zimmerman, know whether he followed simply because Trayvon was black. Furthermore, If the black community wants blacks to be viewed as being less criminal; perhaps, blacks ought refrain from committing crimes disproportionate to their fraction of the populace. I know the reasons for the black population's higher crime rate is disputable, but the numbers, saliently black on black crime, is not.

Charles 05-18-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noonereal (Post 102679)
I have got to be honest. Posts like this infuriate me.

If I see someone acting in what I consider to be a suspicious nature, I watch them. I've always thought it was the right thing to do.

Chas