Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Economy (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   I hope he is wrong (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=3368)

Dondilion 12-10-2011 01:45 PM

Some sh@t when you can't devalue your currency!

merrylander 12-10-2011 02:11 PM

In that same issue Simon Schama, the noted British historian had a nice comment about Standars & Poor's and Moody's;

"Credit-rating agencies—those ravening hyenas of fiscal trouble—move on from one economy, mutilated by sovereign-debt downgrade, to another, traveling north from the basket cases of the Mediterranean, crossing the Alps in search of freshly fallen game. You might think that the agencies that were the enablers of the subprime calamity and were capable of making a trillion-dollar error in calculating American debt reduction over the next decade would have the decency to go into hiding for just a while before presuming to decree the viability of hard-pressed states to meet their bond obligations."

I agree with this assessment.

BlueStreak 12-10-2011 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 82930)
"Give me control of a nations money supply, and I care not who makes it's laws." Mater Amschel Rothschild

Chas

Methinks you may be on to something, Chas.

Dave

Charles 12-10-2011 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merrylander (Post 82945)
In that same issue Simon Schama, the noted British historian had a nice comment about Standars & Poor's and Moody's;

"Credit-rating agencies—those ravening hyenas of fiscal trouble—move on from one economy, mutilated by sovereign-debt downgrade, to another, traveling north from the basket cases of the Mediterranean, crossing the Alps in search of freshly fallen game. You might think that the agencies that were the enablers of the subprime calamity and were capable of making a trillion-dollar error in calculating American debt reduction over the next decade would have the decency to go into hiding for just a while before presuming to decree the viability of hard-pressed states to meet their bond obligations."

Believe it or not, this dovetails nicely with a lot of opinions advanced by the John Birch Society.

Myself, being a fool from Bugtussell, who's only knowledge of high finance boils down to an analogy of a simple minded poker game....

Whenever you look around the table, and you can't tell who the sucker is , then the sucker is you.

Chas

Bigerik 12-11-2011 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merrylander (Post 82945)

Brilliant!

bhunter 12-12-2011 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigerik (Post 82980)
Brilliant!

We appear to be in agreement on this issue. I have no use for the ratings agencies; however, they still have an effect upon financial decisions despite their record.

d-ray657 12-13-2011 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhunter (Post 82992)
We appear to be in agreement on this issue. I have no use for the ratings agencies; however, they still have an effect upon financial decisions despite their record.

You keep agreeing with lefties and people are going to start questioning your ideological purity. :rolleyes:

Regards,

D-Ray

piece-itpete 12-13-2011 11:35 AM

The ratings agencies are trying to CYA after they missed the mortgage crisis.

Hoover started the Depression? That's a new one on me :headscrtch:

Pete

merrylander 12-13-2011 12:07 PM

Instead of spending money to jumpstart the economy he set out to balance the budget same stupid ideas the GOP is putting forward today.

piece-itpete 12-13-2011 12:17 PM

He knew the sytem was rotten, pulled his cash out of the stock market before the crash and told everyone who would listen to do the same.

Many of the programs continued by FDR were started by him. The big difference is Hoover wouldn't give money directly to people, he gave it to the States for disbursment.

Pete