Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Off-topic (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   anyone Know daul 12v to a 12v wallwart. (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=7545)

one1 05-20-2014 08:52 AM

anyone Know daul 12v to a 12v wallwart.

hey any one have an Idea How I can get a 12+v-0-12-v to work with a 12vac walwart,i can splice if I need to.it is a chinese preamp,one of the toys I play with fairly cheap so no big deal,or sould I just get anoter preamp that does 12v neg. and pos.

ebacon 05-20-2014 10:15 AM

If I understand your question, you want to use a 12VAC wall-wart to power a preamp. The preamp needs +/- 12VDC.

If that is the case then the wall-wart would need rectification and filter circuits. There is more to do than just splicing. Are you handy with a soldering iron?

one1 05-20-2014 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebacon (Post 219627)
If I understand your question, you want to use a 12VAC wall-wart to power a preamp. The preamp needs +/- 12VDC.

If that is the case then the wall-wart would need rectification and filter circuits. There is more to do than just splicing. Are you handy with a soldering iron?

Yes I can solder as long as it is not a complicated process.or would it be beter to just get a single outpu preamp.but if you dont mind Can you still explain what I need to do.I always welcome some schooling.

ebacon 05-20-2014 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one1 (Post 219632)
Yes I can solder as long as it is not a complicated process.or would it be beter to just get a single outpu preamp.but if you dont mind Can you still explain what I need to do.

You need two circuits to make your wall-wart compatible with your preamp.

The first circuit is a full-wave rectifier. It converts the AC to DC.

The second circuit is a filter. It reduces ripple, i.e. AC noise, that remains at the rectifier output.

If this is for a phono preamp, you might want to use batteries instead of a wall-wart. Batteries provide quiet power. The A23 battery size is 12v. Two of those and a battery holder and you are good to go.

one1 05-20-2014 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebacon (Post 219633)
You need two circuits to make your wall-wart compatible with your preamp.

The first circuit is a full-wave rectifier. It converts the AC to DC.

The second circuit is a filter. It reduces ripple, i.e. AC noise, that remains at the rectifier output.

If this is for a phono preamp, you might want to use batteries instead of a wall-wart. Batteries provide quiet power. The A23 battery size is 12v. Two of those and a battery holder and you are good to go.

I have seen a lot on running batteries I will check into it,my ultimate goal is to figure out a universal supply that drives almost all with clean productive power.thanks Buddie I am on it like stink on shit.

one1 05-20-2014 11:17 AM

hmmm they are not teribly expensive,wonder what the life is on themwith a daily draw @4-8 hours.

Ike Bana 05-20-2014 11:21 AM

What, in the name of all that is holy and revered, is a walwart?

ebacon 05-20-2014 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one1 (Post 219640)
hmmm they are not teribly expensive,wonder what the life is on themwith a daily draw @4-8 hours.

Depends on how much current the preamp draws. According to wiki an A23 battery has an energy capacity of about 55 milliamp-hours. That is equivalent to 1 milliamp for 55 hours, 1/2 milliamp for 110 hours, etc. Double those times for two batteries.

one1 05-20-2014 11:27 AM

what about this http://www.ebay.com/itm/HIGH-CAPACTI...item2c73e9690a Larger mah value means longer lasting time of battery.
Duration of power up to 8 hours.
Capacity of battery: 1800mAh.
Input voltage: DC 12.6V.
Output voltage: DC 12V .

one1 05-20-2014 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ike Bana (Post 219641)
What, in the name of all that is holy and revered, is a walwart?

a ac/dc adapter ,Ike,a wart on the wall,get it.