Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Off-topic (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Latest Best Thrift/CL/Dumpster/Ebay Score! (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=6740)

icenine 01-16-2014 07:28 PM

Latest Best Thrift/CL/Dumpster/Ebay Score!

Sorry if it is too AK for PC but if it is not appropriate a mod can delete it;)

Nixon Men's watch on the way home from San Dog today $7.99

Last Week Music Angel Preamp (I paid a fair price for it but it is the newest audio piece I have)

icenine 01-16-2014 07:30 PM

I am thinking if we talk enough audio here our little piece of the net will explode from google searches for best caps for Model Seventeen lol.

Ike Bana 01-16-2014 10:58 PM

A few weeks ago at the Goodwill, a really clean pair of Fried A/2's. New surrounds installed last week. They sound great.

Speakers 12 bucks.
Foams 10 bucks.

bobabode 01-16-2014 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icenine (Post 189099)
Sorry if it is too AK for PC but if it is not appropriate a mod can delete it;)

Nixon Men's watch on the way home from San Dog today $7.99

Last Week Music Angel Preamp (I paid a fair price for it but it is the newest audio piece I have)

They made watches with Tricky Dick's face on it? :eek:;)

icenine 01-17-2014 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 189111)

I bet there is one somewhere lol....

I just became aware of this brand...seems like they are sort of in fashion...they are sort of in the same league as Seiko and Citizen price wise. I saw one of the techs sporting one with...had a larger than usual size watch face on it.

icenine 01-17-2014 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ike Bana (Post 189108)
A few weeks ago at the Goodwill, a really clean pair of Fried A/2's. New surrounds installed last week. They sound great.

Speakers 12 bucks.
Foams 10 bucks.

those are sort of recent speakers ...2000s? I heard they all sound really nice
never seen them out here in Cali

icenine 01-17-2014 09:21 PM

Nothing today except an Apple keyboard. I did pass on Kenwood KR 5010 or 5020 silver receiver from the 70s....wooden trim. They wanted $45 and I bet dollars to donuts something is wrong with it lol

there was a Sony ES SACD receiver...sort of a home theater system...it had speaker outputs so I passed on that too

I will hit again Sunday tomorrow I have the dreaded 12 hour shift at the trauma center

BlueStreak 01-17-2014 11:01 PM

It has been barren around here.

Rex E. 01-17-2014 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icenine (Post 189112)
I bet there is one somewhere lol....

I just became aware of this brand...seems like they are sort of in fashion...they are sort of in the same league as Seiko and Citizen price wise. I saw one of the techs sporting one with...had a larger than usual size watch face on it.

I knew a guy back in the 80's that had a huge watch face. Bigger than the stuff you see around today. If you'd ask him what time it was he'd dump out a pile of coke on it. Guess he was ahead of his time :D

CarlV 01-17-2014 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 189111)

They sure as hell did. :p

Carl

icenine 01-18-2014 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex E. (Post 189281)
I knew a guy back in the 80's that had a huge watch face. Bigger than the stuff you see around today. If you'd ask him what time it was he'd dump out a pile of coke on it. Guess he was ahead of his time :D

Lol I hope he is still around....that must have been a sight to see lol

Yeah the Nixons with a watch face that are a bit larger than a silver dollar are going for around 150-200 dollars new on Ebay. I had a battery put in my Nixon today...it works. SCORE!;) my watch is an older one run of the mill.

icenine 01-18-2014 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlV (Post 189282)
They sure as hell did. :p

Carl

http://boomertime.com/solditems/C2441/c2441b.jpg

now that is a watch

Who was worse Carl Nixon or the Tea Party?

i was only a kid when he was President....

I really cannot stand the Tea Party, however I am sure many hated Nixon for some pretty valid reasons....

CarlV 01-18-2014 10:48 AM

Nixon filled not less than 30,000 body bags that had stars and stripes on them with his policies. If that don't do it maybe you are a teabagger. :D

Carl

bobabode 01-18-2014 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlV (Post 189331)
Nixon filled not less than 30,000 body bags that had stars and stripes on them with his policies. If that don't do it maybe you are a teabagger. :D

Carl

Yup. After running on an antiwar platform in '68 and thereby beating Dem. Hubert Humphrey, Nixon almost trebled the names on that black granite wall in D.C. I hope that lyin' piece of excrement is roasting on a spit for eternity.

icenine 01-19-2014 09:01 PM

today's cd hall

Boom Boom Chi Boom-Tom Tom Club
Public Image Ltd- The Flowers of Romance (I actually got the vinyl in 1980)
Grateful Dead-Working Man's Dead
REM-Murmur
Bob Marley-Confrontation
Steve Miller Band Greatest Hits 1974-78
Disco Hits, Vol 1 Rhino
Dr John N'Awlinz Dis Dat Or D'udda
Violent Femmes The Blind Leading The Naked
Cannonball & Coltraine Emarcy import

Oerets 01-20-2014 05:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Kinda a audio find as well, picked up some of these over the weekend. They just were calling me. Have no earthly idea what is going to happen now with them. (Crystal Tibetan Singing Bowls)
Just thought they were cool....

Barney

Ike Bana 01-20-2014 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icenine (Post 189174)
those are sort of recent speakers ...2000s? I heard they all sound really nice
never seen them out here in Cali

I believe these and a few other similar models like the Q/3's are from the early 1980's.

They're quite nice. And the design is interesting with this long port all the way across the bottom front with a big wad of foam stuffed into it. Apparently designed to deal with room acoustics, but I can't hear much difference with the foam strip in or out.

piece-itpete 01-20-2014 09:59 AM

I can't believe his watch doesn't use his nose for a second hand :p

Pete

d-ray657 01-20-2014 11:55 AM

We now have a "Habitat store" in the neighborhood. That is a great source of speaker wire, and other cables. I found some 12 gauge internal/external wire - 8 bucks for what was left of a spool of 200 feet (about 150 feet). I have also found several coax RCA cables with gold plated ends for two to three bucks apiece. I was a few minutes late for a $10 dollar shop vac. Lots of lumber too. When the weather gets warmer, I will be building some more speaker stands. (Probably use the cherry stain I found for a buck.)

Regards,

D-Ray

icenine 01-20-2014 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d-ray657 (Post 189554)
We now have a "Habitat store" in the neighborhood. That is a great source of speaker wire, and other cables. I found some 12 gauge internal/external wire - 8 bucks for what was left of a spool of 200 feet (about 150 feet). I have also found several coax RCA cables with gold plated ends for two to three bucks apiece. I was a few minutes late for a $10 dollar shop vac. Lots of lumber too. When the weather gets warmer, I will be building some more speaker stands. (Probably use the cherry stain I found for a buck.)

Regards,

D-Ray

These places are really good for cables and wire...
I will buy lamp cord if I see it....you will save a ton of money on wire.

d-ray657 01-20-2014 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icenine (Post 189560)
These places are really good for cables and wire...
I will buy lamp cord if I see it....you will save a ton of money on wire.

Yeah, I just hope that the wires don't run out of electrons because they are used.

Regards,

D-Ray

icenine 01-20-2014 05:58 PM

Can you ever really run out of electrons? without something happening? lol

icenine 01-23-2014 10:57 AM

HP Pavilion Laptop ZD7000

2003 vintage Pentium 4

but it works...17 inch monitor. The build quality is good it is thick with 2 fans

Voice Of America Steve Van Zandt factory cassette
U2 Achtung Baby Cassette
Midnight Oil Earth and Sun and Moon cassette

icenine 01-23-2014 12:27 PM

there is this thrift next to the clinic...I was just there this 89 year old guy who hates Obama was saying how all estates where going to be raided after people die so the government could recoup the money spent on Medicare and SS

now where did he hear that?

finnbow 01-23-2014 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icenine (Post 190033)
there is this thrift next to the clinic...I was just there this 89 year old guy who hates Obama was saying how all estates where going to be raided after people die so the government could recoup the money spent on Medicare and SS

now where did he hear that?

I'm betting Faux News, Talk Radio or both. FWIW, people who watch Faux actually know less about the news than those who watch no news at all. Namely, the things they think they know are false.

http://www.businessinsider.com/study...-at-all-2012-5

icenine 01-23-2014 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 190034)
I'm betting Faux News, Talk Radio or both. FWIW, people who watch Faux actually know less about the news than those who watch no news at all. Namely, the things they think they know are false.

http://www.businessinsider.com/study...-at-all-2012-5

Yeah I was going to say something like where did you hear that? But did not want to argue with him...he is a regular in the retired military que for the store....

I figured it was Rush or Fox...anyway that sort of change would require legislation.

I wanted to ask him if he had hated FDR also...this guy enlisted at age 17 during
WWII and did real well rose to rank of CDR...

pretty cool dude..always calls me Doc

icenine 01-25-2014 09:09 PM

pretty boring day at the junk stores

did find three cds

Kinks Greatest Hits
Dig-Boz Skaggs
Fleetwood Mac The Best Of Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac

Rajoo 01-26-2014 01:02 AM

I picked up a very nice pair of Klipsch KG 3.2 with stands, box and papers for one bill from the original owner. I have a borrowed ST-70 and will see how they sound tomorrow.

icenine 01-26-2014 11:09 AM

You cannot go wrong with Klipsch in my opinion...although I have never heard the Hereseys...seems to be a big divide on those. The Synergy series gets no respect, and the Reference flys under the radar but I enjoy those speakers very much.

Rajoo 01-26-2014 12:43 PM

I had a pair of Hereseys but they were up against a pair of newer Bozak's. Figured I need a high efficiency speaker for my newly acquired Fisher 400. I have been using A-25's and EPI 100's on the Fisher so far. They both sound very good though I like the EPI's better. But then the EPI's have new surrounds, cap, well sealed cabinets; the A-25's all original.

icenine 01-26-2014 12:50 PM

I have a pair of EPI-50s bone stock that still sound really good...are in the closet right now.

icenine 01-26-2014 05:21 PM

Elvis Costello Spike Vinyl $3.00

Exercise In Swing Lester Young Giants of Jazz CD Italian import $2.00

Don Byas Melody In Swing Jazz Archives #141 French Import

m-audio studiophile av40...$10.00
they are stickered and graffiti marked but hopefully they will sound ok.

they sound pretty nice just running my mp3 player through them....

I think I will do what Whell suggested make a linux box server and use these speakers for the sound...I have the M-audio card already.

Rajoo 01-26-2014 05:49 PM

Ice, check and see if the Asus notebook you recently bought has SPDIF out. It's the same jack as the headphone out and will be marked SPDIF also.

icenine 01-26-2014 06:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeamOn (Post 190550)
Ice, check and see if the Asus notebook you recently bought has SPDIF out. It's the same jack as the headphone out and will be marked SPDIF also.

Well it is my daughters notebook so I will check later on....tell me what will the spdif jack do with these speakers?

I have them connected to my Sony ES cd changer....
they sound pretty good...I think I have a good pair since the cabs have been through crap and these things still crank.

Rajoo 01-26-2014 06:33 PM

The SPDIF is a digital output that can be connected to an external DAC. Easier than a sound/desktop configuration.

icenine 01-26-2014 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeamOn (Post 190555)
The SPDIF is a digital output that can be connected to an external DAC. Easier than a sound/desktop configuration.

So lossless from a laptop via spdif to these m-audio monitors would make a sweet system....thanks for the info.....I will see what connections I have.

d-ray657 01-26-2014 07:00 PM

Sounds pretty spdiffy.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Regards,

D-Ray

Rajoo 01-26-2014 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d-ray657 (Post 190561)
Sounds pretty spdiffy.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Regards,

D-Ray

Not a bad line considering MOG is going to Dre. :D
Spotify is the best alternative I've been told.

Rajoo 01-26-2014 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icenine (Post 190557)
So lossless from a laptop via spdif to these m-audio monitors would make a sweet system....thanks for the info.....I will see what connections I have.

Lossless from notebook (laptop is so dated :)) into a DAC first and then to your powered monitors will give you digital bliss. I use Foobar as music player, a very good shareware.

icenine 01-30-2014 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeamOn (Post 190566)
Lossless from notebook (laptop is so dated :)) into a DAC first and then to your powered monitors will give you digital bliss. I use Foobar as music player, a very good shareware.

My Mac Pro 2.8 has a digital audio out....so a DAC with digital audio in should do he trick!