Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Current events (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Socialized Medicine - If you can't cure 'em, kill 'em. (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=5190)

whell 12-18-2012 06:36 PM

Socialized Medicine - If you can't cure 'em, kill 'em.

Looks like folks are dying to be a part of socialized medicine.

http://www.france24.com/en/20121218-...mers-sufferers

http://www.france24.com/en/20121218-...lerated-deaths

noonereal 12-18-2012 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whell (Post 139362)

You are a complete a$$ hole.

No wonder I stay away.

finnbow 12-18-2012 06:46 PM

Whether you know it or not, Whell, Washington, Oregon and Montana all have legal Physician Assisted Suicide similar to what is discussed in your cited articles. It has nothing to do with socialized medicine, just allowing people with incurable disease to die with dignity rather than wasting away in nursing homes.

You really need to get out more, read more, and get your information without a filter that adds a ridiculous right-wing twist to everything.

Rex E. 12-18-2012 06:51 PM

So...what's the issue here? If people do not want to live then why should they be forced to?

Boreas 12-18-2012 06:58 PM

Christ, whell! You'll twist anything to serve your perverted agenda. This is about putting an end to needless and grotesque suffering on the part of hopelessly ill human beings. It has NOTHING to do with "socialized medicine" at all. You're nothing but a disgusting contemptible troll.

John

d-ray657 12-18-2012 07:07 PM

Typical Whell. Even capitalist medicine can't find a cure for his allergy to the truth.

Regards,

D-Ray

whell 12-18-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boreas (Post 139371)
Christ, whell! You'll twist anything to serve your perverted agenda. This is about putting an end to needless and grotesque suffering on the part of hopelessly ill human beings. It has NOTHING to do with "socialized medicine" at all. You're nothing but a disgusting contemptible troll.

John

I love you too, Johnny.

So, you guys are just fine with having the same government that runs the healthcare system codifying into law euthanasia practices for, among others, kids, in an attempt to erradicate - as the article cites - a "cure at all costs culture in the medical establishment"? That doesn't bother any of you even a little bit?

Rex E. 12-18-2012 07:18 PM

I suppose they could just shoot themselves, eh......

d-ray657 12-18-2012 07:19 PM

Ever heard of Hospice? Those who participate in a Hospice program agree to limit medical treatment to palliative care.

Boreas 12-18-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whell (Post 139379)
I love you too, Johnny.

Forget about me, whell. It'll never work.

Quote:

So, you guys are just fine with having the same government that runs the healthcare system codifying into law euthanasia practices for, among others, kids, in an attempt to erradicate - as the article cites - a "cure at all costs culture in the medical establishment"? That doesn't bother any of you even a little bit?

Who else should make the laws? That's what governments are for.

John

finnbow 12-18-2012 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whell (Post 139379)
I love you too, Johnny.

The 'cure at all costs culture in the medical establishment' is certainly alive and well in the US and accounts for a significant amount of wasted medical expenditures trying to extend the lives of terminally ill patients. Terri Schiavo, anyone?

How much time have you spent inside of nursing homes full of terminally ill and Alsheimers patients? I've spent enough to know that I may well desire a quick end to it all rather than living in persistent vegetative state. YMMV.

whell 12-18-2012 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d-ray657 (Post 139383)
Ever heard of Hospice? Those who participate in a Hospice program agree to limit medical treatment to palliative care.

There's a bit of a difference between being made comfortable while nature takes its course, and assisted suicide, dontcha think?

finnbow 12-18-2012 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whell (Post 139390)
There's a bit of a difference between being made comfortable while nature takes its course, and assisted suicide, dontcha think?

Sure, but should the outside observer (you) have the right to tell a terminally ill patient without any hope of survival that he must stick it out until he expires, despite severe pain and no will to live any longer? I'd rather not cede that decision to you.

d-ray657 12-18-2012 08:12 PM

Hospice is definitely one alternative to a "cure at all costs medical establishment," and a well-respected one. I don't see why one for whom palliative care has no effect should be denied the choice to end his or her suffering. That is also a reasonable alternative which should be available.

Zeke 12-18-2012 11:13 PM

If people don't desire to live anymore, they shouldn't have to.

That's freedom.

Bigerik 12-19-2012 05:14 AM

Seems whell is all for less freedom. He'd rather have the law tell people that they must continue suffering.

Bigerik 12-19-2012 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rex E. (Post 139382)
I suppose they could just shoot themselves, eh......

Excellent idea. Just give all palliative care patients a gun. Bed mounted holsters would be great! That's the American way.

merrylander 12-19-2012 07:22 AM

Having just had my brother die after a long and hopless fight against Parkinson's and Alzheimer's all I can say to you is drop dead.

piece-itpete 12-19-2012 08:00 AM

I agree with hospice having just lived through it.

Even then some of the family blamed the hospital.

You don't have to actively kill someone.

Pete

Boreas 12-19-2012 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piece-itpete (Post 139423)

Pete

Sometimes it's the only loving and compassionate thing to do.

John

barbara 12-19-2012 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piece-itpete (Post 139423)

Pete

Pete, I'm not sure what the official hospice policy is, but I do know, from personal experience, that hospice will give one enough drugs to keep them comfortable and the unspoken sentiment I have received was that if one wanted to make one self 'comfortable' for eternity, they had enough drugs on hand to make that choice.

Having sad that, I realize hospices across the country may operate differently. I have only dealt with one in California and one in Illinois and that was my experience both times.

BlueStreak 12-19-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

And, you think the same thing doesn't already happen here?

Holy shit, you're naive.:eek:

Dave

BlueStreak 12-19-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 139385)
The 'cure at all costs culture in the medical establishment' is certainly alive and well in the US and accounts for a significant amount of wasted medical expenditures trying to extend the lives of terminally ill patients. Terri Schiavo, anyone?

How much time have you spent inside of nursing homes full of terminally ill and Alsheimers patients? I've spent enough to know that I may well desire a quick end to it all rather than living in persistent vegetative state. YMMV.

I will never forget what I learned from watching my parents final years and the things my Dad had to say about it......

You know, I think I will go out and buy a gun. Nothing fancy, I only plan to use it once.....when I get too old to take care of myself.

Regards,
Dave

d-ray657 12-19-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueStreak (Post 139456)
I will never forget what I learned from watching my parents final years and the things my Dad had to say about it......

You know, I think I will go out and buy a gun. Nothing fancy, I only plan to use it once.....when I get too old to take care of myself.

Regards,
Dave

Personally, I would prefer the overdose.

Regards,

D-Ray

BlueStreak 12-19-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d-ray657 (Post 139464)
Personally, I would prefer the overdose.

Regards,

D-Ray

Depends on the drug and how long they drag it out. Some of those old vegetables they keep going for years. So long as the rent stays paid up.

Regards,
Dave

piece-itpete 12-19-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbara (Post 139427)
Pete, I'm not sure what the official hospice policy is, but I do know, from personal experience, that hospice will give one enough drugs to keep them comfortable and the unspoken sentiment I have received was that if one wanted to make one self 'comfortable' for eternity, they had enough drugs on hand to make that choice.

Having sad that, I realize hospices across the country may operate differently. I have only dealt with one in California and one in Illinois and that was my experience both times.

It was that. Pull off life support, administer heavy morphine, no feeding tube, just enough water to wet the mouth for comfort.

This guy was TOUGH though. It was obvious the staff expected him to die immediately, lived for almost 3 days...

Pete

Boreas 12-19-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueStreak (Post 139472)
Depends on the drug and how long they drag it out. Some of those old vegetables they keep going for years. So long as the rent stays paid up.

Regards,
Dave

And that's why there's so much resistance to "Death With Dignity" laws.

John

Boreas 12-19-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piece-itpete (Post 139477)
It was that. Pull off life support, administer heavy morphine, no feeding tube, just enough water to wet the mouth for comfort.

This guy was TOUGH though. It was obvious the staff expected him to die immediately, lived for almost 3 days...

Pete

As opposed to how long if they hadn't DCed life support?

John

barbara 12-19-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boreas (Post 139480)
As opposed to how long if they hadn't DCed life support?

John

Exactly.
Reminiscent of Terri Schiavo...
But, someone is making $$ while the guilt ridden family empties the bank account.

piece-itpete 12-19-2012 09:58 AM

It was hard enough on the family without actually having him killed.

Pete

Boreas 12-19-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piece-itpete (Post 139484)
It was hard enough on the family without actually having him killed.

Pete

As opposed to how hard it all was for him.

I find this attitude profoundly selfish.

John

piece-itpete 12-19-2012 10:02 AM

I have no doubt - none - that it is exactly how he would've wanted it.

He never would've put that guilt on his family.

Pete

Bigerik 12-19-2012 10:11 AM

Again, an example of how profit meddles with the proper functioning of a health care system. As usual, the interests of the corporation giving the care are fundamentally different than the person receiving it.

icenine 12-19-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whell (Post 139390)

You are assuming that in all cases the Hospice can make a death less terrible. In some cases, like cancer, a death at a hospice can be still be painful and awful despite well-meaning care to cause as least discomfort as possible. You assume much.

icenine 12-19-2012 10:26 AM

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,496710.column

Boreas 12-19-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piece-itpete (Post 139489)
I have no doubt - none - that it is exactly how he would've wanted it.

He never would've put that guilt on his family.

Pete

Guilt? There's nothing to feel guilty about.

John

piece-itpete 12-19-2012 10:58 AM

They felt guilty just putting him in hospice.

Pete

wgrr 12-19-2012 06:23 PM

Quote:

Are you fucking kidding!? How many people die from lack of insurance everyday in this country. People who cannot afford primary care, and don't have insurance, rely on emergency rooms for primary care, when it is too late to cure an illness that is fatal. THAT IS A REAL DEATH PANEL!

I am sick of this shit that we have to buy insurance from capitalist vultures whose only concern is profit. There should be no profit in medical care. Medical professionals should be paid well and be happy at work. Everyone should have access to primary care that is NOT provided by an employer insurance program. It is called Medicare part E. Medicare for everyone. With slight changes in the tax code and the closing of some of the 700 military bases around the world it is easily achievable.

The military is a major contributor to the budget deficit. Time to get out the hedge trimmers and scale it way back. We are not safer today because we got thousands of Americans killed and hundreds of thousands of Afghani's, Pakistani's, and Iragi's killed in senseless wars to keep the military industrial complex happy and the money rolling in.

I could go on but, whell will never get it until he is dying of an incurable disease, and wants to end his life because the pain killers no longer work. I have seen it up close and personal.

I know my grandmother euthanized my step-grandfather in the 60's when he was dying of incurable lung cancer. She was the head resident nurse at a large hospital in Philadelphia, in the 60's, and had ample access to the drugs to do it. She was a wise woman that worked in her field until she was 76. She died at 93.

God rest her kind merciful soul. The deed must have been excruciatingly painful for her and my grandpa. Bear in mind they were in there 50's at the time. I am glad grandpa had such a wonderful wife that would end his suffering knowing how bad it was.

Merry Christmas and a happy New Year everyone.

bobabode 12-19-2012 07:57 PM

Poor whellie, It's that sick idea that people are just assets/tools to be utilized until they've served their useful life and profitable purpose that colors his opinions. Too sad.

It's just business right, whell? Nothing to get your knickers in a bunch over.

mpholland 12-19-2012 08:24 PM

My stepmother is an RN at a nursing home near here. I don't visit her at work...the place just smells of death. I remember watching what she had to go through as my dad died from the outside in from ALS. He was in his mid 60's. I got to witness my mother go through my stepfather dying from emphysema and lung cancer. When the chemo and radiation did nothing but break up the cancer and spread it through the rest of his body and into his brain until the emphysema and pneumonia decided to bless him with congestive heart failure. He was in his early 50's. My mother was an LPN and loved working in the Alzheimer/dementia ward. She loved it so much she took dementia patients into her home after she retired. Now mom just got diagnosed with lung cancer last month and we get to go through that with her. I get to selfishly mourn the fact that she won't be around for me any longer soon, but she will be the one really "going through" shit. She has already told the docs to piss off, she won't be a guinea pig for them. She has already made it perfectly clear that nobody is to do anything except to keep her as pain free as possible until she goes. If any of them at any time would have been able to just "GO" instead of having to endure what they went through I would have done anything in my power to make it happen. So I just have two words for you Whell.

Fuck you!