Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Economy (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Oil............ (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=682)

BlueStreak 12-29-2009 12:57 AM

Oil............

I think the LAST thing we should ever do is tap our own supply.

Can any of you tell me why I think this way?

I'll give you a little hint;

It has nothing to do with moose habitat, or the f***ing environment.

Dave

Charles 12-29-2009 06:40 AM

Hold it in reserve?

Chas

BlueStreak 12-29-2009 08:04 AM

Bingo.

Use up every last drop of theirs before we start drilling our own.

Dave

hillbilly 12-29-2009 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueStreak (Post 13158)
Bingo.

Use up every last drop of theirs before we start drilling our own.

Dave

How will that help us? The damn government'll just put ours on the world market while we watch the rest of the world suck us dry real quiklike. It won't be reserved for ''just us''.

P.S., could we even begin to imagine the BIG war .. if the USA was the only country with oil left under its feet?

Boreas 12-29-2009 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillbilly (Post 13228)
How will that help us? The damn government'll just put ours on the world market while we watch the rest of the world suck us dry real quiklike. It won't be reserved for ''just us''.

It's not the government that would do that. The government doesn't sell oil. It buys it, with the Pentagon being the largest consumer of petroleum in the world. It's the oil companies that sell it, though I grant you with Bush, Cheney and Rice in the White House it was hard to tell the difference between an oil company and the gummint.

John

Charles 12-29-2009 09:51 PM

The government regulates the oil companies. They tax them when they produce it, then they tax us when we buy it.

Chas

Boreas 12-29-2009 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 13243)
The government regulates the oil companies. They tax them when they produce it, then they tax us when we buy it.

Chas

The government gives the oil companies a virtual free ride with tax breaks and the "Oil Depletion Allowance", allowing them to drill on public land. The most profitable corporations in the history of the world receiving corporate welfare! It's virtually criminal.

John

BlueStreak 12-30-2009 12:10 AM

"How will that help us? The damn government'll just put ours on the world market while we watch the rest of the world suck us dry real quiklike. It won't be reserved for ''just us''."

No. We won't just give it away. That's rediculous. At that point, it becomes a huge bargaining chip. One we can use to get whatever WE want. And make lots of money while we're at it. It puts us in the "catbird seat", as they say, here in the swamp.

"P.S., could we even begin to imagine the BIG war .. if the USA was the only country with oil left under its feet?"

Yes. I can imagine that. As a matter of fact, that's the whole point. If we are sitting on the oil, our enemies run out before we do, and we win. Ask Hitler, tanks aren't much use without fuel. Neither are naval ships, or heavy bombers.

Or, we could do the short sighted, greedy and stupid thing that the oil brokers and that imbecile from Alaska want to do--------"Drill, Baby, Drill!"
That's it, piss it all away as quickly as possible, virtually assuring future dependency on people who will, no doubt, still hate us a hundred years from now.

Dave

piece-itpete 12-30-2009 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boreas (Post 13234)
... I grant you with Bush, Cheney and Rice in the White House it was hard to tell the difference between an oil company and the gummint.

John

Obama hasn't CHANGED that? ;)

Pete

doucanoe 12-30-2009 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piece-itpete (Post 13256)
Obama hasn't CHANGED that? ;)

Pete

Not yet, he's still working on "Total transparency in government" thing.

RC