Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Off-topic (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Womens rights (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=10793)

noonereal 07-12-2016 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d-ray657 (Post 322834)
It is explicitly illegal to discriminate on the basis of gender and to discriminate on the basis of pregnancy. Any employer stupid enough to include prohibitions against pregnancy in a written policy will likely be hit with pattern and practice litigation by the EEOC (provided the employer has fifteen or more employees). If there is a steady history of women facing adverse employment consequences as a result of becoming pregnant, the employer is likely to face litigation. Time off for the birth (or adoption) of a child or for complications from pregnancy is provided by the Family and Medical Leave Act. FMLA coverage is limited to employers with 50 employees, and the leave is limited to 12 weeks. However, if an employer has a practice of providing greater time off for other disabling conditions, the effects of pregnancy are entitled to the same treatment.

Thanks

That is what one would think but you never know.

In this case, nothing is written but they had been open and honest in discussing with her their concern on a pregnancy. Any re course?

Btw, she was hired but she had to promise to not get pregnant again for at least 2 years.
Just curious, is this an allowable"deal" under the law? Again nothing written but everything openly discussed.

noonereal 07-12-2016 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merrylander (Post 322813)
Women here are second class citizens - get used to it or do summat about it.

My experience had always been the opposite. In the late 70s early 80s men were passed over all the time in favor of women based on sex. Right up until the mid 90s when I started my own business I never experienced anything but advantages for or women.

Never lesser pay, alWays softer demands for the same job, cleAr favoritism for the more attractive. Unquestionably favored for promotions.
so as liberal as I am I have always thought the women rights demands much ado about nothing.

barbara 07-12-2016 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noonereal (Post 322873)
My experience had always been the opposite. In the late 70s early 80s men were passed over all the time in favor of women based on sex. Right up until the mid 90s when I started my own business I never experienced anything but advantages for or women.

Never lesser pay, alWays softer demands for the same job, cleAr favoritism for the more attractive. Unquestionably favored for promotions.

so as liberal as I am I have always thought the women rights demands much ado about nothing.

It's hard to see something when you don't want to see it.

noonereal 07-12-2016 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbara (Post 322876)
It's hard to see something when you don't want to see it.

in practical terms, what are you saying?

I have a mom, wife, several and daughters. On top of that I am liberal in nature which means I look to help those oppressed and am predisposed to see oppression.

what is it that I did not want to see when I was young and women always got the nod before men, were paid the same but were never sent to unload the truck?

I am not anti womens rights as this threads shows....

Just what are you saying with that attempted drive by?

icenine 07-12-2016 09:48 AM

You may be liberal but sort of hypocritical. When it comes to you own daughter you are concerned about possible discrimination, but you seem to hold a very biased view toward women and their supposed "advantages" in the workplace based on your own keen analysis from your "experience."

It is well known that women do not get paid for the same work as men.

Boreas 07-12-2016 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icenine (Post 322889)
You may be liberal but sort of hypocritical. When it comes to you own daughter you are concerned about possible discrimination, but you seem to hold a very biased view toward women and their supposed "advantages" in the workplace based on your own keen analysis from your "experience."

For instance, he thought Trump's misogyny was "a riot".

icenine 07-12-2016 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boreas (Post 322891)

Plus he called Hillary an "old woman"...

I guess he never thinks of his own daughter being of an age someday.

noonereal 07-12-2016 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icenine (Post 322889)

what is my biased view? That I personally never witnessed anything but advantages for women ?

That is experience not bias. I am all open ears to their plight. Seriously. I just never saw it. Honest.

And how am I hypocritical if I already spoke to this in dispassionately?

Teach me, I am always open to polite contradiction.

noonereal 07-12-2016 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boreas (Post 322891)

John, I do not have your photographic memory

Can you recant or link "a riot."

I can't recall the context but I respect your memory.

thanks

noonereal 07-12-2016 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icenine (Post 322893)
Plus he called Hillary an "old woman"...

I guess he never thinks of his own daughter being of an age someday.

she is not old?

Sometimes this PC crap is extreme.

I submit this is a case of that.

BTW, everything is context and relative.

I go to the supermarket every Wednesday and ask the cashier for the "old man discount" in reference to myself. I refer to senior discounts as "old man discounts."

If you are old, you are old. I have always chosen descriptive words or phrases over conventional talk.

Anyway, this place has a habit of attacking posters not posts... it's ashame.

Why not just share your experiences of work place inequities so I may understand because frankly, generally I don't.

Thanks