Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Economy (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   TPP: An act of duplicity (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=9037)

Boreas 05-07-2015 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 269962)
I believe that the TPP will be a net plus for the USA, though it will definitely cause some displacement - creative destruction, as it were.

What specific aspects of the treaty do you think will benefit us and why?

finnbow 05-07-2015 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boreas (Post 269964)
What specific aspects of the treaty do you think will benefit us and why?

http://www.bloombergview.com/article...-can-live-with

Dondilion 05-07-2015 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 269966)

In your own words Finn.

finnbow 05-07-2015 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dondilion (Post 269968)
In your own words Finn.

Reduction in manufacturing jobs in the US is already a done deal with or without this agreement. It's services and innovation that fuels the modern-day American economy and this agreement helps those sectors where we still remain viable/profitable. Simply put, I'm a free-trader and always have been.

Oerets 05-07-2015 08:38 PM

"lo barato sale caro"

Spanish Proverb: Cheap is sometimes expensive!

I see a race to the bottom for us in the USA. For every country with a increase in their lot another will have a decrease. A leveling world wide. Bad for US good for India China Korea ......

Barney

Boreas 05-07-2015 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 269969)
Reduction in manufacturing jobs in the US is already a done deal with or without this agreement. It's services and innovation that fuels the modern-day American economy and this agreement helps those sectors where we still remain viable/profitable. Simply put, I'm a free-trader and always have been.

From your link:

Quote:

Economists David Autor, David Dorn and Gordon Hanson are among the authors of a famous study arguing that trade with China caused U.S. employment to take a hit. But they have written strongly in support of the TPP. They argue that manufacturing jobs are not coming back, but that the TPP’s liberalization of trade in services and knowledge industries -- areas in which the U.S. is strong -- will provide a big boost to U.S. workers.

Excellent paraphrasing!;)

finnbow 05-07-2015 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boreas (Post 269976)
From your link:

Excellent paraphrasing!;)

We need to focus our manufacturing on high-value-added items rather than commodity items. Look at how Germany's manufacturing sector has remained robust. They retain the high-value-added work at home while being content to out-source lesser work to places like Brazil, Mexico, even Tennessee.

Oerets 05-07-2015 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 269977)
We need to focus our manufacturing on high-value-added items rather than commodity items. Look at how Germany's manufacturing sector has remained robust. They retain the high-value-added work at home while being content to out-source lesser work to places like Brazil, Mexico, even Tennessee.

Strong active Labor and Unions in Germany might have some to do with it too?

Barney

Dondilion 05-08-2015 04:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oerets (Post 269984)

Barney

Bingo!

We are outsourcing some of our high value service to other countries, especially India.

In addition we bypass American high tech workers, with a flood of relatively cheap special visa workers.
Many American companies with an eye on penetrating the Chinese Market have willingly transferred their top technology to China. GM for instance.

But more to the point: Fast Track.

The essence of Warren opposition is Fast Track.

donquixote99 05-08-2015 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 269969)
Simply put, I'm a free-trader and always have been.

You know, I think lot's of folks decide what to think on the basis of 'who they are and have always been.' Politics equals identity equals politics. But few state how they decide with such lucidity and plainness.

finnbow 05-08-2015 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oerets (Post 269984)

Barney

Indeed it does. The entire management/labor relationship is quite different in Germany than it is here.

merrylander 05-08-2015 07:34 AM

The article says he believes it will increase world wealth by 3 trillion. The question is who is going to see that increase. None of the USA middle class I'll warrant.

finnbow 05-08-2015 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merrylander (Post 269998)
The article says he believes it will increase world wealth by 3 trillion. The question is who is going to see that increase. None of the USA middle class I'll warrant.

So, are you saying that pursuing a course of action that will forgo the growth of world wealth by $3 trillion will somehow benefit American workers?:confused:

Here's an interesting tidbit:

PORTLAND, Ore. — President Obama plans to campaign for a Pacific free-trade zone on Friday by visiting the headquarters of Nike, where executives will announce that they will create 10,000 jobs in the United States if the accord is approved...

...Nike said the tariff relief promised by the trade pact, called the Trans-Pacific Partnership, would allow the company to speed development of advanced manufacturing methods and a domestic supply chain to support United States-based manufacturing. In addition to 10,000 new manufacturing and engineering jobs, the company predicted that the trade pact would create thousands of construction jobs and up to 40,000 indirect jobs with suppliers and service companies over 10 years.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/05/09/bu...-approved.html

Dondilion 05-08-2015 08:22 AM

Obama to visit Nike to promote TPP.

Some choice: Nike with its poor record.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dave-j...b_7233118.html

donquixote99 05-08-2015 08:59 AM

Jobs are promised? Nike may offer jobs or may not. That will be up to them. But the vast increase in the power of supra-national corporations will be law. And power is always wielded in the interest of the ones that have it.

donquixote99 05-08-2015 09:20 AM

Future increased wealth of three trillion is, of course, an estimate. And nothing is more plastic than an estimate.

But should it not be three trillion, under the new world order, someone will have to make it up to them.

Rajoo 05-08-2015 09:55 AM

From Post #53:

Quote:

...Nike said the tariff relief promised by the trade pact, called the Trans-Pacific Partnership,
Buy Nike stocks, that's where this relief is going. Isn't this yet another tax break and can we afford it? No.

Dondilion 05-08-2015 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeamOn (Post 270013)
From Post #53:

Buy Nike stocks, that's where this relief is going. Isn't this yet another tax break and can we afford it? No.

Check Nike tax avoidance record. link Post #54.

Boreas 05-08-2015 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 269991)
Indeed it does. The entire management/labor relationship is quite different in Germany than it is here.

But just as unwelcome. To wit: VW Chattanooga.

Rajoo 05-08-2015 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dondilion (Post 270016)
Check Nike tax avoidance record. link Post #54.

Thanks for the link. My office in Portland (2000-2014) was less than a mile form Nike headquarters. They do have a few very high paying jobs but for ordinary folks in PDX, they are SOL.

donquixote99 05-08-2015 11:28 AM

I want to emphasize the revolutionary change the TPA represents. As things are now, corporate income largely derives from sales in markets. As such they must provide goods and services that customers are free to buy or not, to get income. The TPA changes that. Through tribunal judgements, corporations can establish entitlement to income streams from involuntary taxation, without delivering any goods or services at all.

I can see a future in which corporations, having established such entitlement, actually shut down operations that compete to provide good and services to customers, in favor of 'rent seeking.'

Pio1980 05-08-2015 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donquixote99 (Post 270025)
I want to emphasize the revolutionary change the TPA represents. As things are now, corporate income largely derives from sales in markets. As such they must provide goods and services that customers are free to buy or not, to get income. The TPA changes that. Through tribunal judgements, corporations can establish entitlement to income streams from involuntary taxation, without delivering any goods or services at all.

I can see a future in which corporations, having established such entitlement, actually shut down operations that compete to provide good and services to customers, in favor of 'rent seeking.'

Afaik, that's been going on for decades.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

donquixote99 05-08-2015 11:59 AM

As they can. This empowers it on a new scale.

Tom Joad 06-13-2015 03:48 PM

Things are looking up.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...5cf_story.html

Quote:

House Democrats dealt President Obama a humiliating defeat on his free-trade initiative Friday, derailing a key priority for the president and rebuffing his rare, personal pleas for their support.

The defeat at the hands of his own party placed Obama’s trade agenda in limbo and exposed deep party divisions on economic policy, leaving the pro-trade Democrats marginalized by the anti-corporate wing of the party, which has been on the rise since the 2008 financial collapse. It also exposed the weakening hand of House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.), who had worked for days to avoid a Democratic takedown of the president’s agenda, only to throw her support in with the rank-and-file rebellion at the last minute.

The fate of the trade legislation now depends on Obama’s ability, along with business-friendly interests, to persuade dozens of Democrats to switch their votes before a planned do-over vote early next week.

Dondilion 06-13-2015 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donquixote99 (Post 270029)
This empowers it on a new scale.

Indeed!

Dondilion 06-16-2015 11:28 AM

Where is Hillary on this issue?

Boreas 06-16-2015 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dondilion (Post 274851)
Where is Hillary on this issue?

Shhhhh! It's a secret. Just like the TPP.:D

Boreas 06-16-2015 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boreas (Post 274869)
Shhhhh! It's a secret. Just like the TPP.:D

Bernie Sanders, in the other hand.....................