Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Politics and the Environment (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   California Air Resource Board Sucks (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=7657)

bhunter 06-09-2014 03:21 AM

California Air Resource Board Sucks

The other day I went to purchase Weldwood Contact Cement; however, due to the all knowing jackasses at the California Air Resources Board it is no longer available in California. It would be better for the environment if we tossed our illegal aliens back across the border since most of our environmental problems are a function of rampant population growth. Oh, here's the regulation:

http://www.arb.ca.gov/consprod/regs/...htm#automotive

Slightly complicated ain't it. Just because some fanatical environmentalists think VOCs released through consumer products have a terrible environmental impact—environmentalists tend to gravitate towards employment in the regulatory agencies—they ought be outlawed. There is little wonder why businesses leave California for more friendly states. Lighter fluid has become so diluted that it's difficult to start a barbecue.

Oh, I can still buy it , but only 1 ounce at a time. Thus, instead of 12.00/qt. it will be 160.00/qt.

merrylander 06-09-2014 05:43 AM

To be honest I used it once on veneer - it sucks so ever afterward I used Titebond II.

bhunter 06-09-2014 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merrylander (Post 223535)
To be honest I used it once on veneer - it sucks so ever afterward I used Titebond II.

I could see it not working well for veneer. I used it to repair my Magnepans and for other projects when I want an instant bond. The waterborne product is not nearly as good. I just get pissed when I can no longer buy something that's been available for years because of VOC regulations, but then we have 2-Cycle gas dust blowers operating all over the state and rampant population growth.

bhunter 06-09-2014 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merrylander (Post 223535)

Speaking of veneers, where did you purchase those beautiful veneers?

finnbow 06-09-2014 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhunter (Post 223537)
I could see it not working well for veneer. I used it to repair my Magnepans and for other projects when I want an instant bond. The waterborne product is not nearly as good. I just get pissed when I can no longer buy something that's been available for years because of VOC regulations, but then we have 2-Cycle gas dust blowers operating all over the state and rampant population growth.

I've had a problem with the reduced quality of decking stains since VOC's are now verboten. The old VOC-based Cabot deck stains were fantastic. Water would bead up for several years. The new water based stuff sucks loudly in comparison.

Oerets 06-09-2014 06:17 AM

Here they banned the sealer I used on my exposed aggregate walkway. Raised the price of the only products available.

Rattle can paint another product that use to be better before.

Barney

merrylander 06-09-2014 07:18 AM

3M makes a spray on contact cement 77 is for mooderate duty 99 is heavy duty

bobabode 06-09-2014 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhunter (Post 223527)
The other day I went to purchase Weldwood Contact Cement; however, due to the all knowing jackasses at the California Air Resources Board it is no longer available in California. It would be better for the environment if we tossed our illegal aliens back across the border since most of our environmental problems are a function of rampant population growth. Oh, here's the regulation:

Slightly complicated ain't it. Just because some fanatical environmentalists think VOCs released through consumer products have a terrible environmental impact—environmentalists tend to gravitate towards employment in the regulatory agencies—they ought be outlawed. There is little wonder why businesses leave California for more friendly states. Lighter fluid has become so diluted that it's difficult to start a barbecue.

Oh, I can still buy it , but only 1 ounce at a time. Thus, instead of 12.00/qt. it will be 160.00/qt.

Living in the LA basin for over four decades, I'll take the trade off of lowering volatile organic compounds, lead in gasoline and so on over anyone else's imagined right to pollute the air I breath.

icenine 06-09-2014 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhunter (Post 223527)

God I'm worried about you--Bill Murray

bobabode 06-09-2014 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icenine (Post 223616)
God I'm worried about you--Bill Murray

Who uses BBQ lighter fluid anymore? I've had one of those chimney things for decades, they work so much better with a couple sheets of newspaper. ;)