Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Current events (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Insurance renewal (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=6469)

mpholland 11-14-2013 08:06 PM

Insurance renewal

I have been blessed with a pretty decent insurance policy at work (Providence Personal Option). It is a small non-union manufacturing company with about 35 employees. The company pays 80% of the premiums, whether just for the employee or the whole family if you have one. We have all been a bit anxious not knowing what was going to happen for 2014. We got the papers this morning that our insurance will be renewed for another year with no change in coverage. Looks like my cost is going to go up about 20 bucks per month for the whole whole family, from about 120 to 130 every two weeks, which works out to about an 8% increase. I am a pretty relieved guy tonight.

Marc

bobabode 11-14-2013 08:16 PM

Cool beans, Marc:).

That story will never make the National Review or the Wall St. Urinal:rolleyes:.

mpholland 11-14-2013 08:23 PM

No, it won't. Can't have any happy, grateful insured folk in the country at the moment.

bobabode 11-14-2013 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpholland (Post 179849)
No, it won't. Can't have any happy, grateful insured folk in the country at the moment.

True dat. What frost my cookies is the Republicants and the lamestream media searching out every bad story, real or imagined, to blast this huge gift to the insurance companies. As if they ever really gave a shit about middle class working stiffs like you or me. The only bright spot is they can't dump you for pre existing conditions anymore or toss us off the turnip truck if you get a really expensive illness.

Charles 11-15-2013 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 179856)
True dat. What frost my cookies is the Republicants and the lamestream media searching out every bad story, real or imagined, to blast this huge gift to the insurance companies. As if they ever really gave a shit about middle class working stiffs like you or me. The only bright spot is they can't dump you for pre existing conditions anymore or toss us off the turnip truck if you get a really expensive illness.

And who GAVE this huge gift to the insurance companies?

Chas

one1 11-15-2013 06:20 AM

Well BULLY for you, Glad to see that some companies still give a shit.

piece-itpete 11-15-2013 08:38 AM

Thank goodness it's only 8%?

Pete

BlueStreak 11-15-2013 08:39 AM

Same here. We did open enrollment on Monday. No changes at all, no increase in premiums or employee costs.

My sisters employer has informed employees not already covered under the existing plan, which only covers employees grandfathered before a certain date, that they will NEVER have health insurance through the company. The underlying message being, if you want health insurance, go sign up for Obamacare.

BlueStreak 11-15-2013 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piece-itpete (Post 179886)
Thank goodness it's only 8%?

Pete

I seem to recall premium rises of 20-25% per annum or more just a few years ago.

So, yes. Thank goodness it's only 8%.

Dave

whell 11-15-2013 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpholland (Post 179837)
I have been blessed with a pretty decent insurance policy at work (Providence Personal Option). It is a small non-union manufacturing company with about 35 employees. The company pays 80% of the premiums, whether just for the employee or the whole family if you have one. We have all been a bit anxious not knowing what was going to happen for 2014. We got the papers this morning that our insurance will be renewed for another year with no change in coverage. Looks like my cost is going to go up about 20 bucks per month for the whole whole family, from about 120 to 130 every two weeks, which works out to about an 8% increase. I am a pretty relieved guy tonight.

Marc

Just curious - what's the date of the policy renewal? Is it December 1 or January 1?