Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Current events (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Benghazi attack - Terrorists or unruly crowd? (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=4702)

finnbow 09-28-2012 08:41 AM

Benghazi attack - Terrorists or unruly crowd?

I fail to understand why it's a big deal at this moment to assert, one way or the other, that the Benghazi attack was the work of terrorists rather than an unruly crowd. Until all the facts are in and the investigation completed, why is it important (for the GOP particularly) to go out on a limb and attribute this attack to terrorists?

ebacon 09-28-2012 09:04 AM

The GOP paints the attackers as terrorists because that word is more scary than unruly crowd.

The goal is to send a message that Obama is not protectecting us from scary people. Fear is used as a motivator to get people to vote Republican.

Fear is all they have to sell.

piece-itpete 09-28-2012 09:14 AM

Unruly crowds always carry RPGs ;)

Pete

ebacon 09-28-2012 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piece-itpete (Post 126147)
Unruly crowds always carry RPGs ;)

Pete

Hells yes. They were seriously unruly. None of that silly spinning like the Dead Heads used to do. :D

piece-itpete 09-28-2012 09:16 AM

LOL!

Pete

JJIII 09-28-2012 09:35 AM

I heard (and have no idea if it is true or not) that the video had only had approx. 900 views at the time the trouble started. Is there any way to find out more about that?

d-ray657 09-28-2012 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJIII (Post 126153)
I heard (and have no idea if it is true or not) that the video had only had approx. 900 views at the time the trouble started. Is there any way to find out more about that?

Not sure about that, but the one that was linked here is different than the one they were seeing in the ME. Someone had added Arabic subtitles, and it was constantly running on Egyptian television. I get the impression that it was translated by those who didn't agree with its message, but saw it as a useful "organizing" tool.

I made it through about 2 minutes when I looked at the English version. It is the artistic equivalent of fingerpainting on the wall.

Regards,

D-Ray

ebacon 09-28-2012 10:37 AM

And that's putting fingerpainting in bad light.

finnbow 09-28-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d-ray657 (Post 126154)
Not sure about that, but the one that was linked here is different than the one they were seeing in the ME. Someone had added Arabic subtitles, and it was constantly running on Egyptian television. I get the impression that it was translated by those who didn't agree with its message, but saw it as a useful "organizing" tool.

I made it through about 2 minutes when I looked at the English version. It is the artistic equivalent of fingerpainting on the wall.

Regards,

D-Ray

It was kinda like Monty Python's "Life of Brian" that had been stripped completely of its humor. It's hard to understand what about this silly film riled them up so much. Then again, religious nuts here say that there's a War on Christmas (a holiday that last about 2 months nowadays).

Boreas 09-28-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 126164)
It was kinda like Monty Python's "Life of Brian" that had been stripped completely of its humor. It's hard to understand what about this silly film riled them up so much. Then again, religious nuts here say that there's a War on Christmas (a holiday that last about 2 months nowadays).

Well, for one thing, we don't really know how the subtitles read. Even in the English language version, the editors went back and overdubbed the dialog, presumable to put words in the actors' mouths they wouldn't have been willing to say.

John