Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Off-topic (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Everclear "Scroe" (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=11324)

icenine 01-06-2017 10:35 PM

Everclear "Scroe"

On my lunch break today I drove my elitist butt over to the Miramar MCAS 7 Day store (mini-mart) and found some 191 proof Clear Spring pure grain alcohol on sale for $2.91 a bottle! Now I realize that I court death by even thinking about taking a shot.

Is it really true that if I add 750ML of water to 750ML of this pure grain stuff it will equal a 50 proof vodka mixture? I can drink that.

I bought 4 bottles lol and left 3 on the shelf I am pretty sure it is a close out I imagine I might have saved a Marines life this weekend lol.

Which means I might have scored eight bottles of vodka!

We are about to have a dangerous non-vodka drinker at the controls of the 747 I hope we don't crash.

Back in Ohio at University we would do these red punch bowl fruit filled garbage bag lined big tubs of everything mixed together called Hairy Buffaloes but I don't think I drank from one filled with Everclear.

bobabode 01-06-2017 11:12 PM

Just throw some Juniper berries in it and call it Gin. ;)

Cutting by half gives you 95.5 proof hooch.

icenine 01-06-2017 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 343636)
Just throw some Juniper berries in it and call it Gin. ;)

Cutting by half gives you 95.5 proof hooch.

thanks!

Or I could save it and have multiple lifetime supplies of tape head cleaner lol.

donquixote99 01-07-2017 12:57 AM

I'll never forget the time (years ago) when i was in a liquor store and there was the Muslim family group in there--just off the plane, four people and about five words of English. Anyway, they were out to buy alcohol. Came from a very dry country I guess. But here's thousands of bottles, what to buy? Well, they could read the numbers on the bottles, and they hit on some Everclear, and the numbers apparently looked good, because that's what they bought.

I always wondered how that worked out....

finnbow 01-07-2017 07:23 AM

From what I hear, drinking Everclear will make your babies get born naked.:eek:

FWIW, I have a buddy who uses Everclear to make homemade Limoncello.

mpholland 01-07-2017 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icenine (Post 343635)

Back in Ohio at University we would do these red punch bowl fruit filled garbage bag lined big tubs of everything mixed together called Hairy Buffaloes but I don't think I drank from one filled with Everclear.

We called those spodies or jungle juice. Never had one with only 190 but it was often added to the mix in fairly high quantities.

Everclear is just a brand name, as is Clear Springs, of neutral spirit which is just highly concentrated distilled ethanol. It is used as a base for many liquors and liqueurs if you want to try your hand at creating something of your own.

If you ever wondered why they don't produce higher than 190-191 proof it is because as you reach about 95% purity in alcohol content the liquid and vapor have the same composition and can no longer be separated by distillation.

BTW, in Portland, this is what comes to mind when you mention Everclear. https://www.google.com/search?q=i+wi...utf-8&oe=utf-8

MrPots 01-07-2017 08:26 AM

Best I've had is about 145 proof. Shit burns...... instant buzz tho....

Tom Joad 01-07-2017 11:48 AM

When I was 16 my redneck buddy got his older cousin to get us a pint of moonshine from somewhere out in the North Florida sticks. We didn't drink it straight. We mixed it with coke. He went first. Took a swig out of his six and a half ounce bottle of coke and then poured in some moonshine.Then he took a swig of that, turned to me and said: "I just ruined a perfectly good coke".

MrPots 01-07-2017 11:54 AM

Well, nobody drinks hardcore shine for the taste.....

Tom Joad 01-07-2017 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPots (Post 343695)
Well, nobody drinks hardcore shine for the taste.....

I think his cousin skinned us too.

He charged us four bucks for that pint.

That was a lot of money back in '63. :(