Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Religion & Politics (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   The Argument for Separation (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=2005)

piece-itpete 12-08-2010 12:09 PM

Agreed, it's what makes books better than movies imo.

My dad used to say 'The Shadow Knows', in that tone of voice :) I think I've even heard a program or two of it on cassette years ago.

Pete

Charles 12-08-2010 03:53 PM

I still say Goebbels would have thought that the teevee was the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Chas

Charles 12-08-2010 03:57 PM

Say Rob, were you scared when you heard "War of the Worlds"?

Chas

merrylander 12-08-2010 04:01 PM

Don't recall that I ever heard it.

Charles 12-08-2010 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merrylander (Post 46757)
Don't recall that I ever heard it.

See, you're not THAT old!!!

Being the young whippersnapper I am, I missed the golden years of radio. And although I have a low opinion of the teevee, I'll always consider Red Skelton as an absolute master of the new medium.

Perhaps it was the novelty of a new device, but somehow teevee has went to shit and the hogs have ate it.

IMHO,

Chas

d-ray657 12-08-2010 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 46763)

Being the young whippersnapper I am, I missed the golden years of radio. And although I have a low opinion of the teevee, I'll always consider Red Skelton as an absolute master of the new medium.

Perhaps it was the novelty of a new device, but somehow teevee has went to shit and the hogs have ate it.

IMHO,

Chas

But if not for TV, how would advertisers encourage people to over-consume, particularly when it comes to their product. Mind control is a little harder without the pretty colors.

Regards,

D-Ray

BlueStreak 12-09-2010 12:54 AM

Quote:

IMHO,

Chas

You ain' nevah lied! Pink Floyds "......thirteen channels of shit on the teevee to choose from." has turned into 500. Next it'll be 5,000 channels of shit plugged directly into your brain. That's when I punch out for good.

Dave

merrylander 12-09-2010 08:17 AM

Quote:

IMHO,

Chas

It is as well that Newton Minnow did not live to see it, what he called a vast wasteland has become an open sewer. We can thank Murdoch for much of that, along with "reality" TV however WTF is real about most of those 'reality' shows beats me.:rolleyes:

As to age, despite a good night's sleep you still can't prove it by me, damn this cold.

finnbow 12-09-2010 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merrylander (Post 46794)
It is as well that Newton Minnow did not live to see it, what he called a vast wasteland has become an open sewer. We can thank Murdoch for much of that, along with "reality" TV however WTF is real about most of those 'reality' shows beats me.:rolleyes:

As to age, despite a good night's sleep you still can't prove it by me, damn this cold.

BTW, Happy 80th Birthday Rob (one day late). You don't look a day over 79.:D As to your child bride, she looks more like 39.

merrylander 12-09-2010 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 46795)
BTW, Happy 80th Birthday Rob (one day late). You don't look a day over 79.:D As to your child bride, she looks more like 39.

Thanks, it is not that great but certainly better than the alternative.:D