Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Current events (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Yet another! (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=12572)

HarmanKardon 08-04-2019 01:17 PM

The American society has cancer. The name of the carcinogenic symptom is HATRED. This social disease is incurable.

Will dedicate my tomorrow's meditation to you Americans.

Oerets 08-04-2019 01:26 PM

Guess the old saying, love conquers hate is no longer true.

For I don't think it will work on the Trump supporters or gun wingnuts!

donquixote99 08-04-2019 07:10 PM

Doesn't work on the worst of them. Hopefully not too too many of those.

(Any number is too many. Too too many is enough to cause real bad trouble.)

Pio1980 08-05-2019 12:20 AM

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...eption/595450/

nailer 08-05-2019 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pio1980 (Post 379901)

Excellent article.

Chicks 08-05-2019 10:59 AM

John Oliver Rolls Footage Of Trump Laughing At A Call To Shoot Immigrants

The “Last Week Tonight” host called out the president for creating an environment where “white nationalism and anti-immigrant hysteria ... can fester and indeed thrive.”

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5...b0ca604e344b93

Lest there be any remaining doubt as to where to place the blame for these horrific events. “The buck stops here.”

HarmanKardon 08-05-2019 11:25 AM

I think that it is better to leave this forum in your hands, folks. Thank you very much for being your guest over here for about six years and see you over there whenever you want.

Take care, friends...

Oerets 08-05-2019 12:44 PM

I have been having a hard time understanding, comprehending, conversing with my fellow countrymen. It is almost like a nightmare of a dream desperately trying to just unable to wake up from.

Can only imagine of what someone in another country thinks of us.

Take care yourself Chris.

Chicks 08-05-2019 12:51 PM

Ohio GOP Lawmaker Blames Mass Shootings On Trans People, Gay Marriage And More

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5...b0acb57fcfe3e1

Um, sure. These are happening everywhere, yet the mass killings are almost entirely here. Typical stupid GOP response. “Thoughts and prayers!” :rolleyes:

donquixote99 08-05-2019 01:38 PM

^^^ Sounded way too much like sympathy for the shooter to me. "The fury will continue!"

bobabode 08-05-2019 02:56 PM

Here's what a rational leader sounds like - https://twitter.com/BarackObama

NipperDog 08-05-2019 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarmanKardon (Post 379891)
The American society has cancer. The name of the carcinogenic symptom is HATRED. This social disease is incurable.

Will dedicate my tomorrow's meditation to you Americans.

How true Chris.

I don't see any hope either until we can replace our Hater-In-Chief with someone sane.

Chicks 08-05-2019 06:43 PM

https://i.redd.it/dgwyin9od8e31.png

Chicks 08-05-2019 08:39 PM

Rashida Tlaib @RashidaTlaib
Your prayers aren't working. Try checking your dad on his tweets. 251 mass shootings in the U.S. in 216 days.

He incites violence every day w/ his hate agenda & racism. More people are dying b/c he fails to fight white supremacist terrorists.

They are the ones who hate America.
Quote Tweet

Ivanka Trump @IvankaTrump
· Aug 4
As our nation mourns the senseless loss of life in El Paso, Texas and Dayton, Ohio and prays for the victims and their loved ones, we must also raise our voices in rejection of these heinous and cowardly acts of hate, terror and violence.

3:48 PM · Aug 4, 2019·Twitter for Android

Pio1980 08-05-2019 10:38 PM

I'm spending ten hours in the Salt Lake City airport due to my flight being cancelled for the plane being grounded, and it occurs to me that this is probably one of the safest public places in the country re being a target in a shooting gallery.

Oerets 08-06-2019 07:05 AM

What I ask is the answers to combat this issue?

Ban, buy back all assault weapons?
Never happen IMO.

I say make 1M in liability insurance a requirement on each hi capacity military style semi auto owned the law of the land. The fees to be used as a fund for the victims. Hi capacity mags banned and confiscated.

Background checks along with licensing of all owners with required gun safety courses, evaluation by authorities. Records of all gun transactions.

All firearms to be registered.

Shed light on the issue.

donquixote99 08-06-2019 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pio1980 (Post 379923)
I'm spending ten hours in the Salt Lake City airport due to my flight being cancelled for the plane being grounded, and it occurs to me that this is probably one of the safest public places in the country re being a target in a shooting gallery.

You're inside a security perimeter, there are no crowds of minorities to draw fire, few people hate Mormons, and those Mormons probably have fewer violent headcases in their ranks, due to being a more close-knit and caring community than the country as a whole. So yes, pretty good spot.

And sad that one's mind runs to such things when out in public these days....

donquixote99 08-06-2019 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oerets (Post 379925)

Never happen IMO.

I say make 1M in liability insurance a requirement on each hi capacity military style semi auto owned the law of the land. The fees to be used as a fund for the victims. Hi capacity mags banned and confiscated.

Background checks along with licensing of all owners with required gun safety courses, evaluation by authorities. Records of all gun transactions.

Shed light on the issue.

All that other stuff doesn't sound a ton easier to get than the buy-back. But yes, let's get more well-regulated. A bunch more.

Dondilion 08-06-2019 12:47 PM

Quote:

Never happen IMO.

Shed light on the issue.

America's gun culture in charts

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41488081

Pio1980 08-06-2019 06:50 PM

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...ds-ncna1039571

Pio1980 08-06-2019 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donquixote99 (Post 379927)
You're inside a security perimeter, there are no crowds of minorities to draw fire, few people hate Mormons, and those Mormons probably have fewer violent headcases in their ranks, due to being a more close-knit and caring community than the country as a whole. So yes, pretty good spot.

And sad that one's mind runs to such things when out in public these days....

SLC itself is a pretty culturally eclectic metropolis, the airport more so. Mormons would be a minority there. Weapons exclusion security at US airports is almost absolute, rogue baggage handlers notwithstanding.

bobabode 08-06-2019 06:56 PM

Quote:

Never happen IMO.

Shed light on the issue.

A twenty ton rolling mill sounds good to me. If you want mil-spec weaponry? Join the Marines.

Oerets 08-06-2019 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 379934)
A twenty ton rolling mill sounds good to me. If you want mil-spec weaponry? Join the Marines.

Fact are facts, as long as politicians are wanting to or needing to be elected by a majority. The wholesale removal of firearms will never happen.
Plus the added over supply already in the country , in the millions. Much like closing the barn door after the horse is loose. It is to late to consider the removal rather the regulation and to control them.

Chicks 08-06-2019 10:44 PM

A Reformed White Nationalist Says the Worst Is Yet to Come

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...iolini/595543/

Quote:

I’m as horrified as everyone else is. And frustrated, because this is something I’ve been banging the drum about for 20 years—that the escalation of violence would get worse. The [white-supremacist] ideology is spreading more into the mainstream than it ever has before. There aren’t checks and balances to counter it. There aren’t programs being funded to help people disengage from extremism. Some of the rhetoric coming from the very top is emboldening extremists.

Chicks 08-07-2019 10:47 AM

Donny quietly used regulations to expand gun access
The president* said he has taken tough action on guns. His administration has mostly focused on expanding gun access through little-noticed regulatory moves.

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...ctions-1449663

The only way this problem will be resolved is when Donny and the Repubes are completely removed from power.

Oerets 08-07-2019 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicks (Post 379953)
The president* said he has taken tough action on guns. His administration has mostly focused on expanding gun access through little-noticed regulatory moves.

The only way this problem will be resolved is when Donny and the Repubes are completely removed from power.

Scary to consider just what it will take, how terrible the incident to be. For the Reps to see then the need for taking action!

Dondilion 08-07-2019 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicks (Post 379953)

And disarmament?

Chicks 08-07-2019 01:15 PM

Tucker Carlson’s claim that white supremacy is a “hoax” is false — but revealing

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...y-hoax-el-paso

Laughable, yet there are people right here on these forums who defend this filthy pig.

Oerets 08-08-2019 06:45 PM

Republicans,

So eliminating the gun show loophole, background checks not good. Just blame it on crazy!

So they might just be painting themselves into a corner on the issue. Instead of doing something positive, they go and throw up the hands and do nothing...
Causing the inevitability of a total ban of the weapons removal the threat. The only real way to stop the mayhem!
All of the hi capacity semi auto weapons gone!

Once the Dems control all three branches it may well happen.

donquixote99 08-08-2019 07:21 PM

"Don't get me wrong, mental health is important. But I love the implication that solving the whole of the human condition would be easier than regulating something sold at Wal-Mart."

(seen on facebook)

bobabode 08-08-2019 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oerets (Post 379961)
Republicans,

So eliminating the gun show loophole, background checks not good. Just blame it on crazy!

So they might just be painting themselves into a corner on the issue. Instead of doing something positive, they go and throw up the hands and do nothing...
Causing the inevitability of a total ban of the weapons removal the threat. The only real way to stop the mayhem!
All of the hi capacity semi auto weapons gone!

Once the Dems control all three branches it may well happen.

Oh, happy day.

You want a pistol to protect your home? Have at it.

You want to shoot Bambi? Moose or sqvirrel? Please do and save me a piece of backstrap.

You want an M16, AK47 and such? Tough shitski, no sale. Move your pale white ass to Somalia. (grin)

Oerets 08-08-2019 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donquixote99 (Post 379962)
"Don't get me wrong, mental health is important. But I love the implication that solving the whole of the human condition would be easier than regulating something sold at Wal-Mart."

(seen on facebook)

If they were truly interested in mental health care. Then it would be 100% funded thus free to ALL those in need.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 379963)
Oh, happy day.

You want a pistol to protect your home? Have at it.

You want to shoot Bambi? Moose or sqvirrel? Please do and save me a piece of backstrap.

You want an M16, AK47 and such? Tough shitski, no sale. Move your pale white ass to Somalia. (grin)

I own a 556 and will be the first to tell ya, it is just used for target practice.
FUN!
A big boy toy!

Not for personal protection at all.

Gladly give it up whenever it is required for everyone. Refuse to until then. Like the Righties knowing a Lefty is armed too! Seeing their confused looks when I'm at the range with my truck with the Obama Bernie Warren Union stickers on it.

donquixote99 08-08-2019 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oerets (Post 379964)
I own a 556 and will be the first to tell ya, it is just used for target practice.
FUN!
A big boy toy!

Not for personal protection at all.

Gladly give it up whenever it is required for everyone. Refuse to until then. Like the Righties knowing a Lefty is armed too! Seeing their confused looks when I'm at the range with my truck with the Obama Bernie Warren Union stickers on it.

You admit it a toy. Most toy owners don't. And of course, it's an exquisitely dangerous toy....

"Fuck You, I Like Guns!"
(Be sure to click on this. It's not exactly what it sounds like....)

Oerets 08-08-2019 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donquixote99 (Post 379965)
You admit it a toy. Most toy owners don't. And of course, it's an exquisitely dangerous toy....

"Fuck You, I Like Guns!"
(Be sure to click on this. It's not exactly what it sounds like....)

""This rifle is so deadly and so easy to use that no civilian should be able to get their hands on one. We simply don’t need these things in society at large.""

So true.....

As a gun owner since childhood having the AR is for fun.
Should not be so, for it is very lethal

I'm intelligent enough to know if there was a breakdown in society. Having one would be of little help.

We have a problem right now, needing addressed quickly. Do to inaction over the years.

Not something created to cause fear, imagined future events to sell weapons.

Dondilion 08-09-2019 07:35 AM

Note:
Rifles are involved in about 4% of the mayhem.
The populace is well armed.
No government, dem or repug can disarm the people.
In essence there is no solution.

donquixote99 08-09-2019 11:48 AM

Yes but that 4% includes the scariest stuff, and is very worth counter-action.

"Well-armed' is a phrase that evokes the power trip of the deadly toys under discussion. But the populace is mostly innocent of any conception of how to use their arms in a military sense, and certainly is not organized and trained to fight together using good tactics. Their arms would be essentially useless to them in a fight against regular troops. One can envision a popular militia, over time, developing effective hit-and-run guerrilla tactics, but they cannot take and hold ground against an army. So they cannot defend their homes and families. The frequent criticisms of holocaust victims for not offering armed resistance reflect total ignorance of the above facts.

A populace that wishes to do so can raise and train troops. But this is a process that would not be materially aided by any level of civilian small arms.

All that is almost beside the point, except as observations on popular ignorance and folly. People into the gun trip THINK they can defy the government if they want, like thinking that, and are not going to give up their ego-flattering delusions easily. But it's a dangerous mindset, and we should try to undermine it. The time may be right to take small steps towards that--banning high-capacity magazines for civilian weapons, and voluntary buy-backs of assault rifles.

Oerets 08-09-2019 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dondilion (Post 379967)
Note:

We have not in all reality tried anything yet. They regulated full auto's and the country survived quite well!

Some may think it impossible without even trying. I know we are smarter then this. Get the gun industry and the NRA out of the discussion and workable solutions will be found. Some at first will be painful then forgotten about.

Pio1980 08-09-2019 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dondilion (Post 379967)
Note:

The solution is repeal of the second amendment, overdue and highly unlikely for the foreseeable future.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/27/o...amendment.html

Oerets 08-09-2019 03:21 PM

We as a society have to decide if allowing the slaughter to continue by allowing the ownership of these lethal toys. Or the elimination of them for they sever no real purpose.
Some will argue they are needed to fight, yes protect against a government in crisis. A government at the point imagined would be immune to a army of citizens . We are in the age of tanks, cannons and drones with smart bombs after all.

The second clearly states "well regulated" and so it should be.

A diligent gun owner always keeps their weapons safe and secure at all times.
So should society do the same.

Chicks 08-11-2019 01:24 PM

Surrogate Angels of Death
What to make of the First Lady holding the motherless child and youngest survivor of the El Paso massacre.

https://www.thecut.com/amp/2019/08/t...-shooting.html