Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Current events (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Non-politics from a speech-writer (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=3012)

d-ray657 09-27-2011 09:11 AM

Non-politics from a speech-writer

I have come to really appreciate former Bush speech-writer Michael Gerson as a columnist. He's one of those folks (not unlike Kathleen Parker) with whom one can disagree a majority of the time, but still believe that he is a reasonable and thoughtful person (unlike Krauthammer). Today's column isn't necessarily political, which is all the better. It is about core values - something we can hope to share.

Regards,

D-Ray

finnbow 09-27-2011 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d-ray657 (Post 74047)
I have come to really appreciate former Bush speech-writer Michael Gerson as a columnist. He's one of those folks (not unlike Kathleen Parker) who one can disagree with a majority of the time, but still believe that he is a reasonable and thoughtful person (unlike Krauthammer). Today's column isn't necessarily political, which is all the better. It is about core values - something we can hope to share.

Regards,

D-Ray

... and such reasoned, thoughtful people find themselves excommunicated from the GOP. Go figure.

Dondilion 09-27-2011 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d-ray657 (Post 74047)
unlike Krauthammer

D-Ray

This one is just awful!

Thanks for the Gerson link.

JJIII 09-27-2011 10:50 AM

I, being the smart-a$$ that I am, liked the comment below the article about Gerson being paid to write an eight grade book report.:)

d-ray657 09-27-2011 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJIII (Post 74073)
I, being the smart-a$$ that I am, liked the comment below the article about Gerson being paid to write an eight grade book report.:)

But you have to admit that he earned an "A" on it. :p

Seriously, however, how often are core values seriously discussed in politics.

Regards,

D-Ray

BlueStreak 09-27-2011 06:42 PM

Our most stubborn and dangerous enemies are those that dwell within us.

“Which is better — to have rules and agree, or to hunt and kill?”

Great stuff.

Dave

JJIII 09-28-2011 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d-ray657 (Post 74164)
But you have to admit that he earned an "A" on it. :p

Seriously, however, how often are core values seriously discussed in politics.

Regards,

D-Ray

Seldom, if ever. Those who choose to go into politics lack core values for the most part. We have turned from electing the best to allowing power hungry little people remain in office for years and years, sometimes through generations of families.:(

djv8ga 09-28-2011 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJIII (Post 74223)
Seldom, if ever. Those who choose to go into politics lack core values for the most part. We have turned from electing the best to allowing power hungry little people remain in office for years and years, sometimes through generations of families.:(

You throw their butts out, and the newly elected appoint them to a cabinet job...and round and round it goes.
It really sucks. :mad:

merrylander 09-28-2011 07:00 AM

There is a revolving door between Congress and K Street - all hail SCOTUS.