Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Global political discussions (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   World Government? (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=1203)

BlueStreak 04-28-2010 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie (Post 27134)
Want to know what the future will look like? Go watch Rollerball from 1975. Yeah, not exactly like that, but we're seeing some of it already. Giant corporations are becoming the new government and they don't stop at borders. Seems we're doing everything we can to help them.

This massive distrust of our freely elected government in favor of for-profit companies is one of the more insane things I've ever seen. But it seems to be gaining ground. People marching in the streets to make sure their health care dollars are lining someone's pockets.

Ahhhh, yes, I'm with you, Eddie. "Unelected corporate oligarchs good, democratically elected officials bad." Does seem to be the emerging mantra, does it not? Some of us do seem to have developed an overriding concern that everything we do stuffs more money into the pockets of those who already have it, don't they, Ed?

Dave

BlueStreak 04-28-2010 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d-ray657 (Post 27140)
Rick and Pete, it looks like you two are saying about the same thing. At least I agree with both of you. I don't believe that backroom dealing among financial and political elites is good for anyone but the elites. As far as corporations rendering government obsolete, it is a legitimate fear, but one I hope will not happen. The Supremes did their part, however, to hasten the approach of the corporatocracy in the US.

Regards,

D-Ray

Oh, I believe it's happening already. "Obsolete", not necessarily, but "puppet regimes", yes.

Dave

Sandy G 04-28-2010 11:48 PM

In the words of "The Twilight Zone", "YOU ARE OBSOLETE !!!"

BlueStreak 04-28-2010 11:52 PM

Anyhow, I personally don't think any type of world government (per se) would remain cohesive for long. Although, I do believe there are those who wish to try.

What I see evolving is more along the corporatocracy lines. Powerful multinationals, who owe no alliegence to a specific country using their financial strength to influence national governments. Create more "business friendly environments" for themselves through bribery and such. We are already seeing this, and have for a while, but I believe they will continue to accrue power until they have rendered most governments impotent.

Mere puppets with the corporatocracy pulling the strings.

Dave

d-ray657 04-29-2010 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueStreak (Post 27144)
Right, right, I see. Corporations keeping government in check, rather than the other way around? Interesting.

I think we've already been there, concerning the cause of wars. You do realize the beef that Japan had with China and the U.S. before WWII was mainly over trade, don't you?

I think Rick was simply observing what has been happening rather than advocating corporate control of government.

Don't forget Haliburton's role in Iraq, as well as the oil interests. Think of the corporate interests in the military industrial complex. Shoot, the crap that Wall Street was selling infected the world banking industry. I like Google, but I worry about a corporation large enough to thumb its nose at China. Already mentioned the gift that foreign corporations have been given by the Supremes. Is the smaller government that the right is demanding really going to be able to go toe to toe with these beasts? Of course not. The GOP cannot let a meddling government make things difficult for their patrons.

Regards,

D-ray

merrylander 04-29-2010 07:13 AM

If you needed another example it was just run up the flagpole in the Goldman Sachs hearings. They really should have taken that lot out behind the barn and beat then within an inch of their lives - and I'm not all that sanguine about that inch either.

Zeke 04-29-2010 09:00 AM

They didn't fear an opposition that had no power. :(

piece-itpete 04-29-2010 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fast_Eddie (Post 27134)
Want to know what the future will look like? Go watch Rollerball from 1975. Yeah, not exactly like that, but we're seeing some of it already. Giant corporations are becoming the new government and they don't stop at borders. Seems we're doing everything we can to help them.

This massive distrust of our freely elected government in favor of for-profit companies is one of the more insane things I've ever seen. But it seems to be gaining ground. People marching in the streets to make sure their health care dollars are lining someone's pockets.

Will someone explain to me where the corporations end and government starts?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boreas (Post 27136)
Define "we" please. I doubt you'd find many Africans, South and Southeast Asians, Latin Americans or Arabs to agree with you.

John

'We' being the human race is all.

Pete

Boreas 04-29-2010 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piece-itpete (Post 27184)
'We' being the human race is all.

Pete

Then I'll have to disagree. I think the 20th century was pretty damned good for the "first world" but pretty bad for everyone else. Now the 21st is looking like being bad for everyone. Cause and effect.

John

piece-itpete 04-29-2010 10:31 AM

At the very least a lot of 2nd world folks might disagree.

Pete