Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Obama Losing Union Votes (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=4530)

Twodogs 08-31-2012 08:49 AM

Obama Losing Union Votes

They still steal money out of our checks to support Dems, but I can tell you that Obama isn't going to get the Union member votes (private sector) he enjoyed in 08. I used to be the rogue union guy that ran anti Obama stickers on my truck, but it seems to have caught on, at least in Kansas City. I've seen several the last couple weeks, including one IBEW worker's truck that used the entire tailgate to say "Nobama". This is a first for me, as they drill that shit into the young guys heads during their apprenticeship. I've almost gotten into a fight or two, once for a yard sign and once for a truck sticker. All the Unions around here had to take shit for contracts last year (first time I can remember). Us pipefitters have had two dollars a year raises for the last 10 years at least, and this time we almost had to strike to get 50 cents. Talk about a bloom falling off a rose, hit a union man in his wallet and watch. I hear it in the parts houses too. Guys like me that would usually talk in a whisper, are having no problem letting people know where they stand. I had always hoped my union brothers weren't as dumb as the general public, and it seems like they have finally figured it out. I want to see that Employees Rights bill go through so they can't take PAC money out of my check without my written permission. IME they have never backed a single republican. In all those years there was never a single Republican that they could back. Bullchit.

d-ray657 08-31-2012 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twodogs (Post 120496)
They still steal money out of our checks to support Dems, but I can tell you that Obama isn't going to get the Union member votes (private sector) he enjoyed in 08. I used to be the rogue union guy that ran anti Obama stickers on my truck, but it seems to have caught on, at least in Kansas City. I've seen several the last couple weeks, including one IBEW worker's truck that used the entire tailgate to say "Nobama". This is a first for me, as they drill that shit into the young guys heads during their apprenticeship. I've almost gotten into a fight or two, once for a yard sign and once for a truck sticker. All the Unions around here had to take shit for contracts last year (first time I can remember). Us pipefitters have had two dollars a year raises for the last 10 years at least, and this time we almost had to strike to get 50 cents. Talk about a bloom falling off a rose, hit a union man in his wallet and watch. I hear it in the parts houses too. Guys like me that would usually talk in a whisper, are having no problem letting people know where they stand. I had always hoped my union brothers weren't as dumb as the general public, and it seems like they have finally figured it out. I want to see that Employees Rights bill go through so they can't take PAC money out of my check without my written permission. IME they have never backed a single republican. In all those years there was never a single Republican that they could back. Bullchit.

That's right TD. Anyone who disagrees with you or with Mezz is an idiot. It's much better to support the folks who want to do away with unions all together. I mean, just think how much easier it will be to get any kind of raise without the union.

Regards,

D-Ray

finnbow 08-31-2012 09:12 AM

Good luck in finding a receptive ear in today's GOP, TD.

whell 08-31-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d-ray657 (Post 120499)
That's right TD. Anyone who disagrees with you or with Mezz is an idiot. It's much better to support the folks who want to do away with unions all together. I mean, just think how much easier it will be to get any kind of raise without the union.

Regards,

D-Ray

A little cranky today Don? ;)

icenine 08-31-2012 09:20 AM

If the union sucks so much just quit your job.
Guess what? he has not lost this union vote.

d-ray657 08-31-2012 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whell (Post 120501)
A little cranky today Don? ;)

You're just jealous that I didn't name you along with those other two great opinion leaders. :rolleyes:

Regards,

D-Ray

Combwork 08-31-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icenine (Post 120503)
If the union sucks so much just quit your job.
Guess what? he has not lost this union vote.

I'm stepping into this one. If it's the same in the USA as in the UK, even in skilled trades when a job becomes available there'll be more than one applying for it. Go to the unskilled market and it's a hell of a lot more than that.

This is why the Unions lose support. Not because what they stand for is inherently wrong but because with unemployment levels as high as they are, employers can pick and choose.

icenine 08-31-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Combwork (Post 120507)
I'm stepping into this one. If it's the same in the USA as in the UK, even in skilled trades when a job becomes available there'll be more than one applying for it. Go to the unskilled market and it's a hell of a lot more than that.

This is why the Unions lose support. Not because what they stand for is inherently wrong but because with unemployment levels as high as they are, employers can pick and choose.

Yeah ...but if your the guy with the union job you are glad no one can take it...I will not lie about that at all. And most Americans are not even in a position to have job security period. People want to blame unions for everything that is wrong. Well guess what...union membership is at all time low. So thinking that unions are going to have an impact on Obama's re-election is sort of unrealistic. Union or non-union, most people have already decided.

icenine 08-31-2012 10:02 AM

Well I am wrong in that the only union votes that really count are in Ohio and Florida.
And maybe Colorado and New Mexico. States like Kansas and California are already won by the candidates

mpholland 08-31-2012 10:05 AM

I wouldn't vote for him if I was a union guy either.