Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   The Auto industry (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   The Truth about the Big D........... (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=8184)

BlueStreak 09-16-2014 02:00 PM

Tin Foil hat? Not at all. Remember, many in my family worked in the automotive industry as I was growing up, both in management as well as hourly. I worked for 12 years at Federal-Mogul.

I'm not saying that auto executives just had a twisted determination to screw the city of Detroit, that's ridiculous. But, it's a fact that the industry had/has a hard-on for the UAW. Always has. I'm saying Detroit just happened to be where the U.S. auto industry was centered as the industry declined, the latter dragging down the former. Trust me, it's not just Detroit, many communities across the country have been adversely affected.

Some years ago, I'm thinking late 1980s-1990s my brother John, an engineer who at the time worked at General Motors/ Packard Electric Division, told me: "Something's wrong. Now, when we go into contract negotiations with the unions, upper management pretty much just gives them whatever they want. You don't do that unless you don't care anymore................"

I think he was onto something. In fact, it didn't take much at all to see that as they gave away the farm, they shipped more work out of the country. 'Sure, we can do that! Whatever you want, Bud!!'-------Because in a few years you won't be working for us anymore, anyways.

Timing is everything.

Get it?

Think outside of the box, Fellas. I'm thinking that's where the truth lies.

Dave

piece-itpete 09-16-2014 02:07 PM

If they were allowed to outsource they sure weren't giving the union whatever they wanted Dave :/

Areas have an economic life cycle regardless of how bad or good their leaders are, not saying the leaders have no control at all. Probably easier to screw things up worse though.

Pete

Dondilion 09-16-2014 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueStreak (Post 242424)

Think outside of the box, Fellas. I'm thinking that's where the truth lies.

Dave

The truth is simple...American consumers had more choices.

BlueStreak 09-16-2014 02:17 PM

Pete, Pete, Pete..............

Why would they so easily agree to things as ridiculous as the "Jobs Bank", unless they knew it didn't matter? So long as a given plant exists they have to pay temporarily laid off workers 90% of their pay for up to two years? That sounds like something a sarcastic bastard would do just before he shuts the plant down........... Really.

Trust me, the industry has a venomous hatred for the UAW. One of my uncles had some sort of kiss ass middle management job at the Lordstown plant until he retired. Those guys despise the union.

It would be a revelation to you to realize that large corporations plan and execute long term strategies?

Dave

BlueStreak 09-16-2014 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dondilion (Post 242429)
The truth is simple...American consumers had more choices.

So what? That doesn't have a fucking thing to do with it. As Rob pointed out, assembly line people don't design cars.

Love,
Dave

piece-itpete 09-16-2014 02:19 PM

I never said they loved each other....

Why do they make anything at all here then?

Pete

BlueStreak 09-16-2014 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piece-itpete (Post 242434)

Pete

Beats me. Maybe because it keeps the bailout billions flowing?

Dave

BlueStreak 09-16-2014 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piece-itpete (Post 242434)

Pete

Besides, I thought the reason manufacturing jobs were leaving was because of the federal corporate tax? If that were true, then it would be nationwide and not just certain parts of the country, now wouldn't it?

I smell a grudge f**k. I'm thinking somebody got mad because the little people got too "uppity".

Dave

Dondilion 09-16-2014 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueStreak (Post 242433)
So what? That doesn't have a fucking thing to do with it. As Rob pointed out, assembly line people don't design cars.

Love,
Dave

Design of cars was just a part of the package, once the Japanese had access to the American market it became a new game.

BlueStreak 09-16-2014 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dondilion (Post 242442)
Design of cars was just a part of the package, once the Japanese had access to the American market it became a new game.

Okay. Everyone is to blame but management. They are always the hapless victim of fate. Got it.:rolleyes:

Dave