Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Mornin', gents (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=7110)

mystic 03-19-2014 10:27 AM

Mornin', gents

Have you considered adding a Gun Control discussion board?

finnbow 03-19-2014 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mystic (Post 203051)
Have you considered adding a Gun Control discussion board?

We've had a bunch of threads on the subject, generally prompted by the latest massacre or idiotic statement from the NRA. It might not be a bad idea to add such a forum though.

icenine 03-19-2014 10:37 AM

what is the point

Like Finnbow says the next massacre is just around the corner....

mystic 03-19-2014 10:51 AM

Prompted by massacres, not legislation. I see. One-way discussions. Never mind.

finnbow 03-19-2014 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mystic (Post 203061)

It seems to me that you posted on the thread I started about Georgia's proposed legislation. You're also free to start a thread about proposed gun legislation any time you want.

icenine 03-19-2014 11:02 AM

Quote:

Oh there are no massacres?

Rajoo 03-19-2014 11:54 AM

Quote:

Did NRA enter into a two way discussion when they lobbied and effectively defeated Obama's Surgeon General's nomination? :rolleyes:

BlueStreak 03-19-2014 06:05 PM

It might help keep gun control issues from derailing threads in other forums?

I say, yes.

Dave

djv8ga 03-19-2014 06:55 PM

NO. Why would we do that?

bobabode 03-19-2014 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djv8ga (Post 203219)
NO. Why would we do that?

Agreed, it would be a sad and lonely place, plus we can't have you gun nuts plotting and scheming behind our backs. :D

djv8ga 03-19-2014 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 203225)
Agreed, it would be a sad and lonely place, plus we can't have you gun nuts plotting and scheming behind our backs. :D

Dude, that FDR signature is so yesterday.

4-2-7 03-19-2014 07:55 PM

No need for gun control i'm already an excellent marksman and gunsmith. We can talk about prefer loads we like in our firearms if anyone loads there own.

finnbow 03-19-2014 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4-2-7 (Post 203247)
No need for gun control i'm already an excellent marksman and gunsmith. We can talk about prefer loads we like in our firearms if anyone loads there own.

I reload my .270 with a 130 Sierra BTSP over 60 grains of Hodgdon 4381, though I don't use it much anymore. I mostly use a muzzleloader for my firearms hunting (with a 250 gr Hornady SST on top of 100 grains of Hodgdon Triple Seven.) It's incredibly accurate and hard-hitting. I killed a deer at a measured 183 yards with it.

djv8ga 03-19-2014 08:40 PM

Just wondering, do any of you shoot air rifles? I really enjoy shooting my RWS Magnum 350 in .22 cal. I'm finally going to send it off for a Vortek kit & full tune.
I know, it's a BB gun, but it's fun.

finnbow 03-19-2014 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djv8ga (Post 203269)
Just wondering, do any of you shoot air rifles? I really enjoy shooting my RWS Magnum 350 in .22 cal. I'm finally going to send it off for a Vortek kit & full tune.

I have a Gamo 1000 fps .177 (can't remember the model. It has a synthetic stock and a Bushnell 3-9x airgun scope) as well as a Webley Tempest air pistol. In the rifle, pellet choice sure makes a difference. Mine shoots far better with RWS Meisterkugeln than with any other. With these pellets, it can shoot a dime size group at 20 yards if I do my part (sometimes smaller). With other pellets, the group size can go up to ~1.5".

4-2-7 03-19-2014 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 203264)
I reload my .270 with a 130 Sierra BTSP over 60 grains of Hodgdon 4381, though I don't use it much anymore. I mostly use a muzzleloader for my firearms hunting (with a 250 gr Hornady SST on top of 100 grains of Hodgdon Triple Seven.) It's incredibly accurate and hard-hitting. I killed a deer at a measured 183 yards with it.

Hell of a shot!! You must of sat there watching the trajectory like you trough a hook down the bowling lanes. Come on come Yeah!!!

Ya It's been awhile for me also. I move house twice and never set a bench back up to load. Then three other hobbies later (Classic Cars, Photography, HiFi,) shooting and hunting got pushed back about 18 years. That 270 is a hard hitter Which manufacture is the riffle?

I had a Ruger #1 in the 270 & 243 both with leupold 20x30 mounted on them. Never really needed the 270 here in Cali but the 243 got me two deers. I started getting into Archery hunting as well making my own arrows wood and aluminum. Now Im feeling nostalgic of times past. I miss it but not all the work, it's not easy to hunt. Packing deer out of the woods getting them back home fast. I wonder if I'm too old now?:confused:

bobabode 03-19-2014 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djv8ga (Post 203231)
Dude, that FDR signature is so yesterday.

I'm pleased that it bothers you enough to mention it Deej. ;)

djv8ga 03-19-2014 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 203271)
I have a Gamo 1000 fps .177 (can't remember the model. It has a synthetic stock and a Bushnell 3-9x airgun scope) as well as a Webley Tempest air pistol. In the rifle, pellet choice sure makes a difference. Mine shoots far better with RWS Meisterkugeln than with any other. With these pellets, it can shoot a dime size group at 20 yards if I do my part (sometimes smaller). With other pellets, the group size can go up to ~1.5".

You're a great shot. I suck with this thing. It's way more gun than I'm shooter, but I'm being told the tune & Vortek kit will settle it down. I'm shocked at what a springer can do.
In hindsight, I should have bought a model 34.

finnbow 03-19-2014 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4-2-7 (Post 203272)
Hell of a shot!! You must of sat there watching the trajectory like you trough a hook down the bowling lanes. Come on come Yeah!!!

Ya It's been awhile for me also. I move house twice and never set a bench back up to load. Then three other hobbies later (Classic Cars, Photography, HiFi,) shooting and hunting got pushed back about 18 years. That 270 is a hard hitter Which manufacture is the riffle?

I had a Ruger #1 in the 270 & 243 both with leupold 20x30 mounted on them. Never really needed the 270 here in Cali but the 243 got me two dears. I started getting into Archery hunting as well making my own arrows wood and aluminum. Now Im feeling nostalgic of times past. I miss it but not all the work, it's not easy to hunt. Packing dear out of the woods getting them back home fast. I wonder if I'm too old now?:confused:

My rifle is an older and very pretty Remington 700 ADL with a walnut stock and a 3-9 Vari-XII Leopold scope.

Actually, I bowhunt far more than I hunt with any other weapon. I've killed well over 50 deer with a bow in the past 25 years. I also make all my own arrows (Easton 2413's) and use 100 grain Thunderheads for my broadhead. We have an amazing number of deer around here. You're allowed 6 bucks (2 bucks each with bow, muzzleloader and modern firearm) and unlimited does with all weapons. When my sons were still in the house, we'd frequently kill up to a dozen a year and give away a lot of meat. Now, I shoot one or two with a bow during the rut (early November) and that's about it.

4-2-7 03-19-2014 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djv8ga (Post 203269)

I have been thinking of getting a high dollar air riffle. One well made that shoots about 800+ FPS. There is so many good ones now with many calibers deciding speed and trajectory over kinetic energy is a futile task.

one1 03-19-2014 09:04 PM

Is not this section for Introductions???????Hello Mystic If thou are new here,and Welcome aboard.

finnbow 03-19-2014 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djv8ga (Post 203275)
You're a great shot. I suck with this thing. It's way more gun than I'm shooter, but I'm being told the tune & Vortek kit will settle it down. I'm shocked at what a springer can do.

Spring piston guns are tricky to shoot well. It is imperative to hold it fairly loosely, yet consistently with your front hand. Hold them too tight or rest them on a hard bench and they'll jump inconsistently, spraying the pellets all over. Mine is murder on squirrels when they're raiding my wife's birdfeeders.

bobabode 03-19-2014 09:05 PM

Not that I'm a shooter but I do have a fascination with older firearms. I've had one of Buffalo Bill Cody's trick Winchesters in my grubby liberal paws and one of those octagonal barreled guide Winchesters. Big sumbitch that fires the same round as a Gatling. Too bad the guy I know won't let me fire the Gatling he has...;)

djv8ga 03-19-2014 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4-2-7 (Post 203278)
I have been thinking of getting a high dollar air riffle. One well made that shoots about 800+ FPS. There is so many good ones now with many calibers deciding speed and trajectory over kinetic energy is a futile task.

The RWS 34 is a nice gun.
My gun is a beast, but it's big & heavy + it jumps all over the place. Finn's gun a cool piece too.

bobabode 03-19-2014 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one1 (Post 203279)
Is not this section for Introductions???????Hello Mystic If thou are new here,and Welcome aboard.

Naw, Mystic is an oldtimer liberal lovin' gun nut. :D

one1 03-19-2014 09:08 PM

Hmmmm all I got is a Pee shooter,it is acurate to about 2 feet.

one1 03-19-2014 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 203285)
Naw, Mystic is an oldtimer liberal lovin' gun nut. :D

oh ,I shoulda figured.

finnbow 03-19-2014 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4-2-7 (Post 203278)

Gas piston rifles are now the new big thing, taking over from springers it seems.

bobabode 03-19-2014 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one1 (Post 203286)
Hmmmm all I got is a Pee shooter,it is acurate to about 2 feet.

Haw!!!!

djv8ga 03-19-2014 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 203288)
Gas piston rifles are now the new big thing, taking over from springers it seems.

Yeah, the guys on the Diana site are all drooling over the new RWS RAM. Crossman has an interesting one too.

one1 03-19-2014 09:23 PM

Actualy you can retool those compresion chambers and make some of those puppies pretty lethal

finnbow 03-19-2014 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djv8ga (Post 203275)

Here's a link you may find useful in getting better accuracy from your gun.

http://www.airgundepot.com/how-to-ge...t-article.html

4-2-7 03-19-2014 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 203277)
My rifle is an older and very pretty Remington 700 ADL with a walnut stock and a 3-9 Vari-XII Leopold scope.

Actually, I bowhunt far more than I hunt with any other weapon. I've killed well over 50 deer with a bow in the past 25 years. I also make all my own arrows (Easton 2413's) and use 100 grain Thunderheads for my broadhead. We have an amazing number of deer around here. You're allowed 6 bucks (2 bucks each with bow, muzzleloader and modern firearm) and unlimited does with all weapons. When my sons were still in the house, we'd frequently kill up to a dozen a year and give away a lot of meat. Now, I shoot one or two with a bow during the rut (early November) and that's about it.

Shit in California your lucky to get one a year. You see deer were you can't hunt and were you can nothing. lol. I never got one with a bow and only ever had one opportunity out of a dozen trips. I have an older Oneida Screaming Eagle Bow. My ex's father got me into the bows his hunting partner owned a local store. They used to fly to Alaska and hunt everything available. He had two record Moos back in the day that have been surpassed. He must have passed away by now.

It looks like hunting is not that difficult were you live. By that I mean the getting there and actually finding a good location. An area that they're not all spooked with another 50 hunters. That's why it's so hard here. A long drive to were you need too get hoping no one else is around in the limited space thats offered in this state. Or you get to your favorite spot and all you see is mountain lion tracks.

bobabode 03-19-2014 09:36 PM

You need to find a friend who can get you on Ft. Hunter Liggett Dan. I've seen an elk rack taken by bow there that would blow your mind. It ain't cheap according to my neighbor.
http://www.liggett.army.mil/sites/fishhunt/update.asp

djv8ga 03-19-2014 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 203295)
Here's a link you may find useful in getting better accuracy from your gun.

http://www.airgundepot.com/how-to-ge...t-article.html

Cool article. I've got to get serious & practice more.
I just bought a case off eBay so I can take it with me down to my property. It wasn't easy finding a used (cheap), but clean soft case for a non-scoped 48" rifle.

4-2-7 03-19-2014 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 203281)
Not that I'm a shooter but I do have a fascination with older firearms. I've had one of Buffalo Bill Cody's trick Winchesters in my grubby liberal paws and one of those octagonal barreled guide Winchesters. Big sumbitch that fires the same round as a Gatling. Too bad the guy I know won't let me fire the Gatling he has...;)

That's a 45 70 round

Meaning a very big 45 caliber slug and a cartridge that holds 70 grains of power.

4-2-7 03-19-2014 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 203288)

I have noticed that as well but at least with springers their consistent. At least that's what I would be worried about with gas.

djv8ga 03-19-2014 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4-2-7 (Post 203305)
I have noticed that as well but at least with springers their consistent. At least that's what I would be worried about with gas.

This thing is one bad boy! I'm not sure what it is priced at, but I know it's more than I'm gonna pay for a BB gun.
I would love one though.
http://www.diana-airguns.de/index.ph...133&height=850

finnbow 03-19-2014 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4-2-7 (Post 203298)
It looks like hunting is not that difficult were you live. By that I mean the getting there and actually finding a good location. An area that they're not all spooked with another 50 hunters. That's why it's so hard here. A long drive to were you need too get hoping no one else is around in the limited space thats offered in this state. Or you get to your favorite spot and all you see is mountain lion tracks.

I bowhunt about 150 yards behind my house where I keep two hang-on treestands. My community owns about 70 acres of woodland that adjoins another ~200 acres. One neighbor and I are the only guys who even go into these woods for any reason. I can decide to do a quick hunt an hour before dark and be dressed and in my stand in 5 minutes. This is part of the reason that I've mostly given up on gun hunting. For that, I need to drive 15 minutes. Too far.;)

bobabode 03-19-2014 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4-2-7 (Post 203302)
That's a 45 70 round

Meaning a very big 45 caliber slug and a cartridge that holds 70 grains of power.

Ayup. If you dig around the Off Topic forum there's a thread about it. Beautiful gun and stock.