Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Economy (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Poverty Measures (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=3522)

bhunter 01-27-2012 01:14 PM

Poverty Measures

The boilerplate assertion of Obama and progressives that income inequality has increased in America doesn't account for the migratory nature between quintiles nor does it account for the increased consumption by the lowest quintile over the same time span. Hence, the "us versus them" meme of Obama's campaign is wrong.

The absolute absurdity of Buffet's secretary assertion and the concomitant conflating of investment income tax rates with salaried worker tax rates either demonstrates an utter lack of economic knowledge or, worse, an underlying political goal of instigating crass class warfare. I'm thinking the latter precisely because Obama has nothing else to use as an effective campaign strategy. What exactly was the "hope and change" that he so eloquently put forth back in 2008? Has he fulfilled the "hope and change" rhetoric of 2008? Has the country ever been more polarized than it is today under his divisive strategy? How effective has "lead from behind" been in reigning in ascendant states like North Korea, Iran, Russia, China, Turkey?

From WaPo:
Quote:

In other words, the country has become more prosperous, as measured not by income but by consumption: In constant dollars, consumption by people in the lowest quintile rose by more than 40 percent over the past four decades.

Income as measured by the federal government is not a reliable number, but consumption is. Though poverty is a problem, it has become less of one.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinio...Q_story_2.html

Wasillaguy 01-27-2012 04:15 PM

You want to see how poor people are, go sit in front of a WIC clinic, or up here "Denali Kid Care" and watch the "poor" people walking in and out, talking on their iphones and driving their SUVs.

Bigerik 01-27-2012 04:41 PM

Oh bullshit.i worked with the poor in the US. There are some damn poor people down there. Would not want to trade places with any of them!

BlueStreak 01-27-2012 08:30 PM

Right.

We're all rich, so there is obviously no need for social safety nets
or worker protections of any sort. In a nation where everyone is
independently wealthy such things are obviously passe'. Got it.

After all, I have everything I need, so there is no problem. Correct?

Thanks for clearing that up.

Dave

djv8ga 01-27-2012 09:39 PM

Buffet's secertary makes $250,000.00 a year. According to the Prez, that makes her a millionaire.
Just saying...

merrylander 01-28-2012 06:50 AM

But she still pays income tax at a higher rate than he does.

merrylander 01-28-2012 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhunter (Post 87269)
The boilerplate assertion of Obama and progressives that income inequality has increased in America doesn't account for the migratory nature between quintiles nor does it account for the increased consumption by the lowest quintile over the same time span. Hence, the "us versus them" meme of Obama's campaign is wrong.

The absolute absurdity of Buffet's secretary assertion and the concomitant conflating of investment income tax rates with salaried worker tax rates either demonstrates an utter lack of economic knowledge or, worse, an underlying political goal of instigating crass class warfare. I'm thinking the latter precisely because Obama has nothing else to use as an effective campaign strategy. What exactly was the "hope and change" that he so eloquently put forth back in 2008? Has he fulfilled the "hope and change" rhetoric of 2008? Has the country ever been more polarized than it is today under his divisive strategy? How effective has "lead from behind" been in reigning in ascendant states like North Korea, Iran, Russia, China, Turkey?

From WaPo:

If you believe all that horse hockey you will be interested to know that we are running a special in the Chesapeake Bay Bridge this weekend.:rolleyes:

d-ray657 01-28-2012 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wasillaguy (Post 87305)
You want to see how poor people are, go sit in front of a WIC clinic, or up here "Denali Kid Care" and watch the "poor" people walking in and out, talking on their iphones and driving their SUVs.

Why don't you provide us with a log of your observations. Be sure to quantify, with comparisons with those who used public transportation to get to the aid offices; make sure you have observed that all of the telephones being used are iphones; that the people receiving the aid were driving the SUV's and were not being provided a ride. Don't forget that when gas prices skyrocketed, some of the cheapest vehicles available were used SUV's. Let's see if your stereotype survives against hard data.

Regards,

D-Ray

Wasillaguy 01-28-2012 11:21 AM

How about this. You hold your breath until I deliver that report.

Dondilion 01-28-2012 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhunter (Post 87269)

From WaPo:

So if I am living high off credit I am rich! per Wapo.