Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Current events (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Russian Support for Putin (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=12303)

barbara 03-18-2018 11:47 AM

Russian Support for Putin

I do not know enough about Russian politics to comment one way or the other on this article.

I just thought it was interesting.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/better-...tin-1521205201

Oerets 03-18-2018 12:07 PM

Is an animal kept in a cage amply feed dry and warm better off then if in the wild?

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.”
Benjamin Franklin

“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
Benjamin Franklin

Barney

barbara 03-18-2018 12:22 PM

Thank you , Barney.... that cleared a lot up for me. You wrote what I was feeling but could not articulate.

finnbow 03-18-2018 12:25 PM

Russia was humiliated with the collapse of the USSR and the strongman Putin is giving them pride in their country again by standing up to the west. They enjoy being relevant again and viewed by some as more than the corrupt kleptocracy they are.

HarmanKardon 03-18-2018 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 369219)
Russia was humiliated with the collapse of the USSR and the strongman Putin is giving them pride in their country again by standing up to the west. They enjoy being relevant again and viewed by some as more than the corrupt kleptocracy they are.

The capacity for suffering of the Russian people has always been outstanding, as the history of the 20th Century shows. So it is not a paradox that they vote for a President who actually harms millions of them by putting them at a disadvantage...

nailer 03-18-2018 03:43 PM

Americans hate Putin because he rules Russia, is doing a better job of it than our current president is doing here and is making us look like fools.

Oerets 03-18-2018 03:53 PM

He is waging a cyber war against the USA and Democracies all over the world.
That has more to do with just how he is looked upon then being a ruthless Dictator.

Barney

nailer 03-18-2018 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oerets (Post 369217)
Is an animal kept in a cage amply feed dry and warm better off then if in the wild?

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.”
Benjamin Franklin

“Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
Benjamin Franklin

Barney

My answer to your question is that I sure am. My cage is roomy, dry, has hot and cold springs at my command ... I also have fun toys to play with and for the most part my fellow caged apes are okay too.

Ben is my favorite Founding Father.

nailer 03-18-2018 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oerets (Post 369230)
He is waging a cyber war against the USA and Democracies all over the world.
That has more to do with just how he is looked upon then being a ruthless Dictator.

Barney

I agree, he's making us look like fools.

BlueStreak 03-18-2018 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oerets (Post 369217)

Benjamin Franklin

Benjamin Franklin

Barney

Questions;

A). Would Americans voting for the promise of tax cuts and fatter refunds be the same as Americans voting for money?

I think so.

B). Could it be that we're sacrificing liberty for safety in supporting things such as militarized law enforcement, Arpaio-esque tactics, vilifying anyone who speaks up against police brutality, turning schools into fortresses, building walls........

.....and the host of other "safety oriented" bullshit that our rightwing friends support?

I believe so. In fact, I've come to believe the people who rant about "freedom" the most in this country are actually freedoms worst enemy. They are fans of strongman leaders who despise Democracy.

If something isn't done soon to know them down several pegs, we'll end up like Russia.