Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Global political discussions (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Let's not screw Pakistan. (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=473)

piece-itpete 10-21-2009 01:46 PM

Let's not screw Pakistan.

We finally got Pakistan fighting the Taliban - really - and apparently winning to boot, but the polls are split on what Obama should do in Afghanistan, namely fish or cut bait.

It's something of a dilemma for our fearless leader. His power base, one he repeatedly pandered to during the election (out of Iraq in 16 months, reaching out to enemies) will be PISSED if he agrees to increase troops.

But geopolitical realities dictate the answer, and because of this I believe Obama will pull a Bush and do the right thing regardless.

Pete

Fast_Eddie 10-21-2009 02:00 PM

I think he's already made up his mind. I think he'd like to get health care done before he pisses off the left even more.

Pakistan just pisses me off in general. We screwed that up back in the 80s when Reagan was busy undermining the entire future of our country. That thing could fall apart any day and it would be like Afghanistan, only with nukes.

merrylander 10-21-2009 02:25 PM

Afghanistan has some 28 million people yet they can only raise a security force of some 20,000. If they are no more concerned about their country why in hell should we be? Give McChystal some tactical nukes and clean out the damned border.

piece-itpete 10-21-2009 03:29 PM

Wow, is there anything Reagan can't do (or hasn't done)??

Troops are being shot at and killed, I hope Obama gives it it's proper urgency.

Rob, there have been a lot of interviews on Charlie Rose over the last few weeks with Afghan 'experts', some good news is they see Afghan troops as good quality and more coming on line every day. There's real hope :)

Pete

Grumpy 10-21-2009 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piece-itpete (Post 7623)

Troops are being shot at and killed, I hope Obama gives it it's proper urgency.

Rob, there have been a lot of interviews on Charlie Rose over the last few weeks with Afghan 'experts', some good news is they see Afghan troops as good quality and more coming on line every day. There's real hope :)

Pete

Is there a such thing as quality troops over there ?

Anything involving the middle east is a no win situation.

Let Israel deal with them. They wont pussy foot around like we are..

Fast_Eddie 10-21-2009 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piece-itpete (Post 7623)

I see. I'm wrong because... because... I mean, the point you're making is... is... Oh. you don't have any point. And I'm right. Reagan tried to kill America. Just remains to be seen if he succeeded or not.

Charles 10-21-2009 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twodogs (Post 7630)
Heck yeh Pete, he used to smother puppies in his spare time too.:p

I say bring the troops home and put them on OUR borders. The whole point is to keep America from being attacked again right? I just can't imagine that we couldn't secure our boarders with the resources we have there, and in Iraq, and in Korea, and every other corner of the stinking world.

Lay offa Shrub, most the time he was happy with just pullin' the wings offa flies.

Novel idea TD, bring our troops, and their paychecks, home and post them on our borders. We've supported the rest of the world long enough, and all that they've given us in return is a hard way to go.

And while we're at it, ride the international bankers out of the country on a rail. Along with the international corporations.

The United States is a big enough of a country to make a go of it on our own...should we put our minds to it.

Chas

noonereal 10-21-2009 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles (Post 7639)

We've supported the rest of the world long enough,

We have never supported anyone but ourselves.

I suppose we give foreign aid to countries to be nice.

Come on Chas, we do what we do for us and only us.

merrylander 10-22-2009 07:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noonereal (Post 7644)
We have never supported anyone but ourselves.

I suppose we give foreign aid to countries to be nice.

Come on Chas, we do what we do for us and only us.

Disagree with that, who is usually first in line when eartquakes or tsunamis strike, yet who was knocking on our door after Katrina?

Grumpy 10-22-2009 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merrylander (Post 7669)
Disagree with that, who is usually first in line when eartquakes or tsunamis strike, yet who was knocking on our door after Katrina?

Does not happen too often but im gonna agree with rob on this one :D