Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Current events (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Yet another! (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=12572)

Oerets 11-08-2018 06:28 AM

Yet another!

Mass shooting in the U.S.A!

https://www.usatoday.com/picture-gal...ar/1927977002/

What is it gonna take to wake the rest of US up to the madness?

donquixote99 11-08-2018 10:29 AM

Too early to know much this time. In general we need to take care of each other better and promote more sanity.

Oerets 11-08-2018 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donquixote99 (Post 375922)
Too early to know much this time. In general we need to take care of each other better and promote more sanity.

Starting by agreeing on intelligent gun control measures maybe?

Doing nothing, how's that working out?

bobabode 11-08-2018 08:00 PM

13 dead, for what? :(

mpholland 11-08-2018 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oerets (Post 375932)
Starting by agreeing on intelligent gun control measures maybe?

Doing nothing, how's that working out?

Because California has such lax gun control laws?

Oerets 11-08-2018 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpholland (Post 375934)
Because California has such lax gun control laws?

For one, the extended mags?
Illegal in CA, yet he had at least one.

mpholland 11-08-2018 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oerets (Post 375935)
For one, the extended mags?
Illegal in CA, yet he had at least one.

And if California had an outright ban on all guns he probably would have had one also. I am not saying there isn't a problem, I just think it is impossible to legislate away.

donquixote99 11-08-2018 11:17 PM

The system had contact with this guy, but failed to take his guns, failed to commit him to treatment, failed to see him as a danger and even watch him a little. I want us to stop failing to stop these people..

HarmanKardon 11-09-2018 01:05 AM

The shooting was not in the German main news program "Tagesschau" ARD, 8 pm, which means that it is not worth to report these routine issues over here anymore.

barbara 11-09-2018 04:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpholland (Post 375937)
And if California had an outright ban on all guns he probably would have had one also. I am not saying there isn't a problem, I just think it is impossible to legislate away.

Other countries have gun laws that work. We could too if the NRA did not control our law makers.

Oerets 11-09-2018 07:19 AM

He legally purchased a firearm, we should all agree should not of been able too. I see a problem to be addressed. Through enhanced screening, training. To use a word oversight!
As a gun owner I just don't want to accept these events, throw my hands up give in. Rather do something, will it be right the first time? Second? Third? We will get it right in the end, once we get started on sensible limitations on lethal toys.

barbara 11-09-2018 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donquixote99 (Post 375939)
The system had contact with this guy, but failed to take his guns, failed to commit him to treatment, failed to see him as a danger and even watch him a little. I want us to stop failing to stop these people..

I saw that on the news....

But, it really is very tricky to declare a person a danger to others or them self. I am very familiar with the local assessment team in our county and there are so many ways this system fails us.

There are too many times when the team conducts an interview and the person can maintain during that interview and give all the right answers. The minute the team leaves, the facade is dropped and despite several surprise visits, it is still a hard call to make.

This mass shooting issue creates ripples all through society. We need better gun laws, more mental health programs, more education in schools about the dangers of guns and when and how to use them with respect.

(Stepping off my soap box now)

BlueStreak 11-09-2018 09:02 AM

Stop assuming Americas gun lovers give a damn because, obviously, most of them don't. "Thoughts and Prayers, Thoughts and Prayers, Thoughts and Prayers.....", blah, blah, blah, blah...…...Oh, STFU with that cop out already. Yesterday, I listened to a man bitch about some trouble he had clearing a background check for a hand gun in North Carolina...………...BECAUSE HE HAS A HISTORY OF VIOLENT BEHAVIOR. Barroom brawls, road rage, a fight he got into with his neighbor, beating his girlfriend, multiple arrests with convictions...………. And others were agreeing with him. Seriously. One man even said, "He absolutely still has a right to own guns and I have a right to shoot him if he comes after me!".

Who doesn't see what's wrong with this picture?

Come on, people, this is insane. ".....shall not be infringed." includes protecting gun ownership rights for loudmouth bullies who go around picking fights and beating the shit out of others? Really? Is a psychological profile even necessary with such a monster?

donquixote99 11-09-2018 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbara (Post 375944)
I saw that on the news....

But, it really is very tricky to declare a person a danger to others or them self. I am very familiar with the local assessment team in our county and there are so many ways this system fails us.

There are too many times when the team conducts an interview and the person can maintain during that interview and give all the right answers. The minute the team leaves, the facade is dropped and despite several surprise visits, it is still a hard call to make.

This mass shooting issue creates ripples all through society. We need better gun laws, more mental health programs, more education in schools about the dangers of guns and when and how to use them with respect.

(Stepping off my soap box now)

Appreciate the benefit of your experience here, Barbara.

My own thinking is OK, some number of people will be wrongly caught up in coercive mental health commitment if we relax safeguards. That is bad. OTOH, it's also very bad to be shot dead in a nightclub. As long as we're smart and careful and able to keep the number of wrong commitments down to "dozens," I think the trade-off worth it.

And certainly when there's more doubt we do things short of commitment, just like visit people, watch them, try to be helpful on a voluntary basis.

And very certainly, the threshold for taking someone's guns, at least temporarily, should be quite low.

Pio1980 11-09-2018 10:20 AM

It's a Constitutional birthright entitlement relic of the 18th Century with no real contemporary purpose that has become a liability. By logic, it should have been repealed after failing the stress test of the war of secession, but that did not happen.
So, here we are, dealing with the consequences of an entitlement that lost its purpose to a fantasy of another bloody rebellion.

Oerets 11-09-2018 10:44 AM

If nukes chemical, bio weapons were around when they enacted the 2nd, would they also be available now?

Personally I don't want to live in the wild wild west, rather a civilized society. Have no problem having to register or train, license be evaluated.

We are better then this! For a country that claims the be the best we should be truthful and admit the problem and fix it.

Chicks 11-09-2018 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pio1980 (Post 375947)
It's a Constitutional birthright entitlement relic of the 18th Century with no real contemporary purpose that has become a liability. By logic, it should have been repealed after failing the stress test of the war of secession, but that did not happen.
So, here we are, dealing with the consequences of an entitlement that lost its purpose to a fantasy of another bloody rebellion.

Firearms at the time could, in the hands of an expert, fire MAYBE three rounds in a minute, requiring reloading between each round. They were extremely inaccurate. Mass killings would be impossible with them. These are what this amendment assumed, not today’s firearms, which should not be legal outside military and law enforcement, IMO.

barbara 11-09-2018 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donquixote99 (Post 375946)
Appreciate the benefit of your experience here, Barbara.

My own thinking is OK, some number of people will be wrongly caught up in coercive mental health commitment if we relax safeguards. That is bad. OTOH, it's also very bad to be shot dead in a nightclub. As long as we're smart and careful and able to keep the number of wrong commitments down to "dozens," I think the trade-off worth it.

And certainly when there's more doubt we do things short of commitment, just like visit people, watch them, try to be helpful on a voluntary basis.

And very certainly, the threshold for taking someone's guns, at least temporarily, should be quite low.

I hear what you are saying and do not necessarily disagree.
But.... the person wrongly caught up in the system suffers too. That record follows them, the stigma haunts them. And it is way to easy for someone who has a beef with another to make the accusation that starts things in motion.

The system is broke in many ways. No easy answers.

I think the only way to begin is to consider the common denominator in every single mass shooting. And that could be a starting point.

Oerets 11-09-2018 08:49 PM

Those who fail to see or feel the need for action before and now should heed history's lessons. For history has time and time again shown a backlash effect. One day an event so horrendous will happen, then more drastic extreme restriction will occur. Due to inaction and waiting, not wanting to make the hard choices.
We have become weak, for I doubt our predecessors would not of waited.

bobabode 11-09-2018 09:15 PM

Gun fetishists are a clear and present danger to the citizens of our country.

Pio1980 11-10-2018 12:48 AM

I used to listen to The Hour of the Time on pre-internet short wave in the 1990s for his take on the "Illuminati" conspiracy theory nonsense. M. W. Cooper (no relation, afaik) was a conspiracy theory coocoobird par excellence. James "Bo" Grites, a fellow conspiracy theorist who fell out with him referred to his book as "Behold, a Pail of Horseshit".
Gun show fodder;
https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/...int-today.html

donquixote99 11-10-2018 06:24 AM

No, not weak, manipulated. The right wing elite figured out that guns, made into right wing cultural symbols, would be a useful mobilizing factor, and not dangerous to them. There's probably a Rand study on it dating back to 1966 or so.

You want to see gun control in a big hurry? Guess what would happen if someone shot up one of the top prep schools. *

* Thought experiment only, not advocacy!

Oerets 11-10-2018 09:02 AM

We all know just where the debate would be going if the majority group buying guns and openly carrying were OTW!

(Other Then White)

donquixote99 11-10-2018 09:37 AM

No debate, just war. Recall what happened to the Black Panthers, and to Move.

Pio1980 11-10-2018 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oerets (Post 375964)
We all know just where the debate would be going if the majority group buying guns and openly carrying were OTW!

(Other Then White)

I've seen at least one black man oc in a restaurant I frequent in Oxford, Al. A unicorn of sorts, yet home defense by firearm was the only defense persons of color had, and still have in some places tho it doesn't necessarily come out well, may discourage self entitled peckerwoods from endulging their self entitlement.

Oerets 11-10-2018 01:47 PM

My point was a broad one, implying that if OTW's were to march with arms shouting support for 2nd amendment rights. Acting like the White Nationalists I don't think it they would be looked at the same way.

finnbow 11-10-2018 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oerets (Post 375968)
My point was a broad one, implying that if OTW's were to march with arms shouting support for 2nd amendment rights. Acting like the White Nationalists I don't think it they would be looked at the same way.

You are, of course, correct. Back in the '60's, white folks freaked out over pictures of armed Black Panthers and convinced Gov. Ronald Reagan to pass strict gun controls in California.

Throughout the late 1960s, the militant black nationalist group used their understanding of the finer details of California’s gun laws to underscore their political statements about the subjugation of African-Americans. In 1967, 30 members of the Black Panthers protested on the steps of the California statehouse armed with .357 Magnums, 12-gauge shotguns and .45-caliber pistols and announced, “The time has come for black people to arm themselves.”

The display so frightened politicians—including California governor Ronald Reagan—that it helped to pass the Mulford Act, a state bill prohibiting the open carry of loaded firearms, along with an addendum prohibiting loaded firearms in the state Capitol. The 1967 bill took California down the path to having some of the strictest gun laws in America and helped jumpstart a surge of national gun control restrictions...

In contrast to the NRA’s rigid opposition to gun control in today’s America, the organization fought alongside the government for stricter gun regulations in the 1960s. This was part of an effort to keep guns out of the hands of African-Americans as racial tensions in the nation grew.

https://www.history.com/news/black-p...rt-mulford-act

Pio1980 11-10-2018 02:40 PM

The purpose of the right to keep and bear arms is elucidated in the first part of the second amendment.
Minus that, what exactly are "second amendment rights"?

Pio1980 11-10-2018 07:11 PM

NRA draws fire after saying doctors should 'stay in their lane'

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/08/healt...act/index.html

Pio1980 11-10-2018 07:33 PM

Food for thought.
https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...see-ncna934641

bobabode 11-12-2018 01:06 AM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...=.2d6f505252de

Louisville, Ky. :(

Oerets 11-12-2018 08:49 AM

Something right!

Just what the NRA and Trump advocate, more guns for safety.

They had a news segment in the past week or so where the Church Pastor was talking. Stated when he announced armed security was present the worshipers then showed they were also.

Pio1980 11-12-2018 10:54 AM

Well, if we insist that all and sundry nut jobs have "second amendment rights" (whatever the hell *that* means), I guess that's where we are headed.
And, I suppose by extension, I should keep an inflatable life jacket on in case I'm caught in a flash flood event. A lot less trouble than flood control management, right?

Pio1980 11-12-2018 11:26 AM

I don't have a problem with reasonable armed home defense, tho the second is silent on that and so, under the tenth, it falls to the States to regulate firearms inside Federal authority. This shouldn't mean that there is an unlimited entitlement to private arsenals.
Open carry is legal in many States, including this one, but I am not a fan of OC. CC, vetted by a thorough background check, is fine with me. I have one but seldom use it.
I've spent some thought on what rights I have that have been defended via a second amendment rationale in the last century and have nothing. Pretty much all of it has come by systematic procedure, no guns involved.

Chicks 11-15-2018 05:19 PM

Dr. Esther Choo: The NRA denies the reality of gun violence. Doctors like me know it all too well.

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinio...all-ncna936226

BlueStreak 11-17-2018 11:51 AM

The reason the United States has more gun related violence than any other "first world" nation is…………..because we don't have enough guns.

Right.

Pio1980 11-17-2018 12:07 PM

The US is really the world's greatest gun violence paradise? Well, wooo-peee us!

Pio1980 11-17-2018 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pio1980 (Post 376045)
The US is really the world's greatest gun violence paradise? Well, wooo-peee us!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/File..._countries.png

HarmanKardon 08-04-2019 01:00 PM

The evil preacher of hatred, Barking Monster Trump, is at least partly responsible for mentally weak people like Patrick Crusius starting a mass shooting.

It is interesting to see that nobody is starting a commemorative thread (for the friends and families of the victims) on the latest mass shootings, neither here nor at AK. So mass shootings have become at last as common as car accidents. Should I consider this fact as being comforting?

You Americans are really, really strange... rude... I am not sure if it still makes sense to "talk with America" (my signature).

Pio1980 08-04-2019 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarmanKardon (Post 379887)
The evil preacher of hatred, Barking Monster Trump, is at least partly responsible for mentally weak people like Patrick Crusius starting a mass shooting.

It is interesting to see that nobody is starting a thread on the latest mass shootings, neither here nor at AK. So mass shootings has become at last as normal as car accidents. Should I consider this fact as being comforting?

You Americans are really, really strange...

The "social justice warriers" to watch are the entitled white supremacist gun nuts