Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Economy (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   "Made in Germany" - another chapter closed (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=6295)

HarmanKardon 10-02-2013 03:24 AM

"Made in Germany" - another chapter closed

The famous German producer of audio and video

LOEWE

is bankrupt. Please google "Spiegel online Loewe Insolvenz" For sure in Geman but look at the very impressive pictures showing finest LOEWE products of the last century.

It was one of the last famous audio/video brands of the 20th century of Germany, like Telefunken, Grundig, SABA, Dual, Nordmende...

At last they did produce nothing else than expensive but extremly high quality television gear. That was a blind alley. People in Germany buy LG and Samsung and such stuff, probably of acceptable quality as well but not the legendary "Made in Germany" standard.

If somebody of you would ask me: "So did you buy such a TV in order to support this brand?" I would answer: "I wish I could have done so, but - much too expensive."

It is always the same. There is one thing that is astonishing to me: why did this factory survive so much longer than the other brands mentioned above, they all went to hell, killed by Asia, in the eighties and nineties.

merrylander 10-02-2013 06:48 AM

How the asians did it was that they initially assigned markets to one company. That company was subsidized by the Government such that they could undersell the local companies. Then when all the locals were gone they could charge whatever they pleased.

I had a very interesting chat over a couple of beers with a Japanese trade official waiting for my flight in the San Francisco airport.

d-ray657 10-02-2013 06:51 AM

Many of those sets were indeed works of art.

So do you remember the days of TV repairmen? Durable goods meant durable goods, and something was worth enough to pay someone to fix it.

Regards,

D-Ray

BlueStreak 10-02-2013 06:57 AM

Yep, and now we live in a throwaway world.

I sit here, listening to an amplifier first built in the early 1960s. My television I bought two years ago for $1200. Technically, it's already obsolete and something tells me it won't last but a few more years.

Dave

HarmanKardon 10-02-2013 08:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
1926 Loewe receiver

BlueStreak 10-02-2013 08:08 AM

That is a sweet looking tube! I bet it looks awesome all lit up.

CarlV 10-02-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarmanKardon (Post 174266)
1926 Loewe receiver

Way cool! :)

Carl

bobabode 10-02-2013 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarmanKardon (Post 174266)
1926 Loewe receiver

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueStreak (Post 174267)
That is a sweet looking tube! I bet it looks awesome all lit up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlV (Post 174276)
Way cool! :)

Carl

Wow! Those two coils? receiving antenna? are neat-o! :)

bobabode 10-02-2013 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d-ray657 (Post 174257)
Many of those sets were indeed works of art.

So do you remember the days of TV repairmen? Durable goods meant durable goods, and something was worth enough to pay someone to fix it.

Regards,

D-Ray

I've seen some AKers who recap the boards on the new TVs when they crap out, instead of tossing them. Maybe not all is lost? I know there are some of us anachronisms who get a kick out of resurrecting old 'Maggotbox' tube amps.:)

merrylander 10-02-2013 01:23 PM

Resurect old stereos? Wouldn't even think of it.

Bigerik 10-02-2013 01:39 PM

I'd rather have a new, hi res TV than the best built old monster of decades past. Come to think of it, I prefer new audio gear too!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

bobabode 10-02-2013 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merrylander (Post 174300)
Resurect old stereos? Wouldn't even think of it.

:D;):cool: or reel to reel decks.

HarmanKardon 10-02-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigerik (Post 174303)
I'd rather have a new, hi res TV than the best built old monster of decades past. Come to think of it, I prefer new audio gear too!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Well Erik I prefer my

1958 Harman Kardon Stereo Festival 20 valves receiver,

I prefer it so much that I got two of them, although in Europe they are as rare as the Blue Mauritius stamps. Five of them are known in Europe, two of them are mine.

CarlV 10-02-2013 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarmanKardon (Post 174321)
Well Erik I prefer my

1958 Harman Kardon Stereo Festival 20 valves receiver,

I prefer it so much that I got two of them, although in Europe they are as rare as the Blue Mauritius stamps. Five of them are known in Europe, two of them are mine.

Buy mine, have 3. :)
http://www.audiokarma.org/gallery/sh...500&ppuser=272

Carl

bobabode 10-02-2013 04:50 PM

Hoarder!:D

HarmanKardon 10-03-2013 01:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice one! These are mine. The green is darker in reality, I painted the enclosure in the green that was usual in the fifties.

HarmanKardon 10-03-2013 01:41 AM

"Now we live in a throwaway world." Yes Dave. Planned obsolescense rules the market everywhere.

merrylander 10-03-2013 06:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 174305)
:D;):cool: or reel to reel decks.

But there are only three, the Teac X-1000R, Teac 1230 and Pioneer 707

HarmanKardon 10-03-2013 07:47 AM

Yamaha CR 3020?

merrylander 10-03-2013 08:54 AM

Yes, I restored it and refinished the case, the Turntable is a Yamaha PX-2 linear and cassette deck below is a Yamaha K-1000.

The pictures on the walls represent four generations from our grandparents to our granddaughters. They continue right around the playroom, we have maybe 12 linear feet of blank wall left.

HarmanKardon 10-03-2013 12:27 PM

Nice pictures, nice looking people, nice Rob. :)

merrylander 10-03-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarmanKardon (Post 174438)
Nice pictures, nice looking people, nice Rob. :)

Danke, the first one is Florence at 16, then an oil portrait someone made when she was 20, then both of us 30 years ago when we got married, then me at 27.

We are leaving the house to our granddaughters and leaving all the pictures as a sort of genealogical record. Fortunately I have a wide format printer/plotter and was able to get some 24" wide photo weight paper. I was able to enlarge this one of our Son and his two girls to 16" x 20" and print it.

piece-itpete 10-03-2013 12:49 PM

Is that you as Santa? :)

Pete

merrylander 10-03-2013 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piece-itpete (Post 174442)
Is that you as Santa? :)

Pete

No that was taken in Ottawa where they were living, just to show us the dresses we sent them for Christmas.

HarmanKardon 10-03-2013 12:57 PM

One of the things I like most in this forum is that threads get quite often totally off topic and nobody curses at it. It is different on AK. PC is very relaxed with regard to off topic. This is cool! :cool:

merrylander 10-03-2013 02:15 PM

Oops Sorry Chris

bobabode 10-03-2013 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarmanKardon (Post 174445)
One of the things I like most in this forum is that threads get quite often totally off topic and nobody curses at it. It is different on AK. PC is very relaxed with regard to off topic. This is cool! :cool:

I disagree.

piece-itpete 10-03-2013 03:14 PM

I'm gone for 2 whole days and there's only 21 updated threads, but pages and pages of posts :D

I don't mind :)

Pete

BlueStreak 10-03-2013 04:18 PM

Speaking of "Made in Germany";

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=326734

This is my favorite German product. (Scroll to bottom.)

The whine is the cheap camera.

Dave

ebacon 10-03-2013 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piece-itpete (Post 174475)
I'm gone for 2 whole days and there's only 21 updated threads, but pages and pages of posts :D

I don't mind :)

Pete

We started another web site where we just talk about YOU! :D

HarmanKardon 10-04-2013 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 174474)
I disagree.

Do not misunderstand me, please. I do not vote for anarchy and issue-chaos in this forum. But the fact that it is possible to roam somewhere else for some posts and then returning to the topic is something that creates a smooth familiar atmosphere. I think that should be accepted in such a small forum, it would not work on AudioKarma, of course.

Nur meine 2 cents.

Back to "Made in Germany!"

piece-itpete 10-04-2013 10:13 AM

Not yet HK! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebacon (Post 174494)
We started another web site where we just talk about YOU! :D

I'm speshal

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-E3yo0tM3Hv.../short+bus.jpg

Pete

HarmanKardon 10-04-2013 12:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is my favourite product "Made in Germany"

BlueStreak 10-04-2013 12:39 PM

Your son?

HarmanKardon 10-05-2013 01:11 AM

Mom's and Dad's son. HK.

merrylander 10-05-2013 07:00 AM

How old were you then Chris?

HarmanKardon 10-05-2013 07:18 AM

I was four years old, the picture was shot six months after a nearly lethal accident - I fell into a door made of glass then and was extremely seriously wounded, so this picture means a lot to me. I still remember a lot of details of this horrible incident although I was just three and a half years old.

merrylander 10-05-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarmanKardon (Post 174774)
I was four years old, the picture was shot six months after a nearly lethal accident - I fell into a door made of glass then and was extremely seriously wounded, so this picture means a lot to me. I still remember a lot of details of this horrible incident although I was just three and a half years old.

Glad you survived it, I did something similar as a kid, tried to climb up the old wringer washing machine to see the works inside. Trouble was it was three legged an I pulled it over on top of me. Still have the scar under one eye.

donquixote99 10-05-2013 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarmanKardon (Post 174541)
Do not misunderstand me, please. I do not vote for anarchy and issue-chaos in this forum. But the fact that it is possible to roam somewhere else for some posts and then returning to the topic is something that creates a smooth familiar atmosphere. I think that should be accepted in such a small forum, it would not work on AudioKarma, of course.

Nur meine 2 cents.

Back to "Made in Germany!"

Traffic level makes a huge difference in how 'tightly' a place has to be moderated. Around here, looks to me like it's easy enough for users to adapt to a bit of topic drift without losing track of everything. And it's what conversations naturally want to do....

donquixote99 10-05-2013 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarmanKardon (Post 174246)
The famous German producer of audio and video

LOEWE

is bankrupt. Please google "Spiegel online Loewe Insolvenz" For sure in Geman but look at the very impressive pictures showing finest LOEWE products of the last century.

It was one of the last famous audio/video brands of the 20th century of Germany, like Telefunken, Grundig, SABA, Dual, Nordmende...

At last they did produce nothing else than expensive but extremly high quality television gear. That was a blind alley. People in Germany buy LG and Samsung and such stuff, probably of acceptable quality as well but not the legendary "Made in Germany" standard.

If somebody of you would ask me: "So did you buy such a TV in order to support this brand?" I would answer: "I wish I could have done so, but - much too expensive."

It is always the same. There is one thing that is astonishing to me: why did this factory survive so much longer than the other brands mentioned above, they all went to hell, killed by Asia, in the eighties and nineties.

What created their excellence still lives, and will find other opportunities to emerge. It's easy enough to see that everything passes, but everything is reborn too.