Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   The Auto industry (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Clunkers, it gets better (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=311)

Charles 08-27-2009 08:48 PM

Clunkers, it gets better

What can I say, Chas

http://market-ticker.org/archives/13...You-Again.html

wajobu 08-27-2009 09:22 PM

No such thing as a free ride.

Twodogs 08-28-2009 10:18 AM

I can just see someone trading in their SUV, paying full sticker for a clown car, then getting hosed a couple times on taxes. All this so they can save 2 or 3 hundred bucks a year in fuel. Dumbshits:p

Grumpy 08-28-2009 05:10 PM

I knew about being taxed on the full value and did not even trade something in. Sorry but I think anyone who did not do their homework cannot say nothing about having to pay the taxes. They were disclosed up front nearly all over the web.

Charles 08-28-2009 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy (Post 4537)
I knew about being taxed on the full value and did not even trade something in. Sorry but I think anyone who did not do their homework cannot say nothing about having to pay the taxes. They were disclosed up front nearly all over the web.

That I did not know.

But I DID know that I wasn't gonna get suckered by the Clunkers bill.

From where I come from, fixin' the old clunker is a hell of a lot cheaper that buyin' a new clunker.

'course, I'm pretty handy, and it gives me an edge. And I can count, which gives me a bigger edge.

And as far as keepin' up witt th' Jones's...my junks paid for...you fellers pay th' interest.

Chas

merrylander 08-29-2009 07:23 AM

We did not even think about a trade-in, we drive full sized Chaev Impala LSs that get 29 MPG highway. Saw Mr. Opportunity peddling Honda Civics that also get 29 MPG highway and that is a 4-cyl upholstered rollerskate.

Grumpy 08-29-2009 08:15 AM

Even if you wanted to trade the impala in it would not have qualified under the max MPG guidelines for the program.

I am not defending Honda ( as I think our gov's money should have only been paid out to US companies ) but your impala is a few years old if I recall. Its 29 mpg rating would be less if rated to the 2009 EPA standards the new civic is.

noonereal 08-29-2009 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy (Post 4561)
Even if you wanted to trade the impala in it would not have qualified under the max MPG guidelines for the program.

I am not defending Honda ( as I think our gov's money should have only been paid out to US companies ) but your impala is a few years old if I recall. Its 29 mpg rating would be less if rated to the 2009 EPA standards the new civic is.

Isn't the line as to what is a US company blurred today?
Don't Jap cars get built in the US?
Who owns how much stock in any given company?

Walmart is a US company. Is it good for the US? Should we support it over a rival who is Jap based but sells American made stuff?

Grumpy 08-29-2009 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noonereal (Post 4563)
Isn't the line as to what is a US company blurred today?
Don't Jap cars get built in the US?
Who owns how much stock in any given company?

Walmart is a US company. Is it good for the US? Should we support it over a rival who is Jap based but sells American made stuff?

I knew my post would bring up this subject even before I posted it. yup the lines are blurred and smearing more every day.

Let me clarify my stance on the clunker program to try and get this thread back on track. I do not feel we had any business offering tax payers money to try to stimulate the auto industry. Sure the program was supposed to be eco friendly and I applaud that but it was a ruse to sell cars and get the factories back to work.

Now that the moneys exhausted I really feel the auto companies are going to feel the pain in the car sales department. They depleted what, maybe the next 6 months worth of car sales to help speed things up.

Two steps forward and 12 back..

noonereal 08-29-2009 08:58 AM

I tend to agree with you but I do think you woke some thoughts about what buy American really means. Think I'll start a new thread to explore it. :rolleyes: