Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Medicare for all by Bernie Sanders (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=11947)

JCricket 09-01-2017 08:42 PM

Medicare for all by Bernie Sanders

Hey Folks,
I just got an email from Senator Sanders. He is going to be introducing legislation in the next couple of weeks to create a single payer medicare insurance program for all. I am not quite sure what to think of this. I don't know how it will work, but it may appeal to the repeal and replace crowd,

I know I am kind of sweating the upcoming changes. I have one prescription that cost about $5k per month. No insurance means no meds. I'll likely end up in wheel chair or bed ridden within 5 years.

Pio1980 09-01-2017 09:39 PM

If he had come up with this instead of the impractical promises during the campaign, he might have had a better chance.

donquixote99 09-01-2017 10:01 PM

No changes are upcoming in the foreseeable future, least of all any introduced by Bernie Sanders. No Sanders idea will appeal to the 'repeal and replace' crowd.

icenine 09-01-2017 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCricket (Post 360616)
Hey Folks,
I just got an email from Senator Sanders. He is going to be introducing legislation in the next couple of weeks to create a single payer medicare insurance program for all. I am not quite sure what to think of this. I don't know how it will work, but it may appeal to the repeal and replace crowd,

I know I am kind of sweating the upcoming changes. I have one prescription that cost about $5k per month. No insurance means no meds. I'll likely end up in wheel chair or bed ridden within 5 years.

To be frank Sanders pushed back single payer much further by running against Clinton in 2016. So I tend to scoff at anything he says right now.

No Republican Senate is going to pass single payer anytime soon. The only chance is that in 2018 both Houses go Democrat and they pass it and Trump signs it because he has not had any sort of legislative success. That is a very long shot. But possible I imagine. Other than that the USA must look toward 2020.

I thought about Houston and was sad that the poorer people in the crisis would have been better covered under the Medicaid expansion had the Texas government accepted the roll out.

Sorry about your medical issues. $5000k a month is a lot. I hope everything works out ok for you.

Senator Harris from my state has come out in support of single payer.
Whether Americans will elect her President is another issue. I will vote for her is she is the nominee of the Democratic party.

Ike Bana 09-03-2017 09:47 AM

I don't like lefty populists much more than I like right-wingjob populists.

Pio1980 09-03-2017 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ike Bana (Post 360662)
I don't like lefty populists much more than I like right-wingjob populists.

Making promises one can't keep to get votes kept me from supporting Bernie

barbara 09-03-2017 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pio1980 (Post 360669)

It's too bad Trump voters didn't feel the same.

Ike Bana 09-03-2017 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbara (Post 360681)
It's too bad Trump voters didn't feel the same.

I expect there are some significant and common cognitive challenges in that cohort.

Ike Bana 09-03-2017 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pio1980 (Post 360669)

They all do it. Some are just more blatant than others.

whell 09-03-2017 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pio1980 (Post 360620)
If he had come up with this instead of the impractical promises during the campaign, he might have had a better chance.

This isn't "practical" either. Just ask the folks in Cali, whose legislature punted on a similar proposal because of the anticipated costs, and no way to pay for it.