Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Voter Turnout - Any guesses? (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=4939)

Bigerik 11-05-2012 06:34 PM

Voter Turnout - Any guesses?

I'm thinking it will be much lower than last time. Somewhere around 54%.

Thoughts?

Boreas 11-05-2012 06:46 PM

It's anyone's guess. Normally, I'd say that you were pretty close but early voting has been unexpectedly high. I think we may also see a higher than normal Democratic turnout as sort of backlash against the Republican voter suppression efforts. I hope my intuition is reliable and I hope the machines "behave".

bobabode 11-05-2012 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boreas (Post 132656)
It's anyone's guess. Normally, I'd say that you were pretty close but early voting has been unexpectedly high. I think we may also see a higher than normal Democratic turnout as sort of backlash against the Republican voter suppression efforts. I hope my intuition is reliable and I hope the machines "behave".

I caught a segment on the Young Turks about the horrendous lines to vote in Ohio & Florida. They've done nothing to allow for the higher turnouts because they have lessened the number of days available for early voting. The Florida scene is especially bad. A travesty on the part of the Repub leaders in these battleground states. Florida is a prime candidate for UN oversight.

Bigerik 11-05-2012 06:59 PM

I'm hoping to be surprised. I'd love to see a much higher turnout then that. With everything that was happening in 2008, I think it hit 58. I can't imagine it being close to that, but again, I'd love to be pleasantly surprised.

Bigerik 11-05-2012 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 132658)
I caught a segment on the Young Turks about the horrendous lines to vote in Ohio & Florida. They've done nothing to allow for the higher turnouts because they have lessened the number of days available for early voting. The Florida scene is especially bad. A travesty on the part of the Repub leaders in these battleground states. Florida is a prime candidate for UN oversight.

I lived through that crap in Florida in 2000. It was tragic.

bobabode 11-05-2012 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 132658)

That all said, I think we will see a slightly higher turnout than in 2008. Everyone that I talk to is fired up, (lefties, of course). Other than my stoner teabagging neighbor and Pete, I don't really know any wrongies.

Oerets 11-05-2012 07:21 PM

In my part of the country, Southern Indiana, Louisville Kentucky area early voting has been very high. Plus a higher amount of absentee ballots requested. I plan on going around 0700 with the wife. I think it will be a large turnout fraught with delays and problems in a number of areas throughout the country.

Barney

bobabode 11-05-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oerets (Post 132672)
In my part of the country, Southern Indiana, Louisville Kentucky area early voting has been very high. Plus a higher amount of absentee ballots requested. I plan on going around 0700 with the wife. I think it will be a large turnout fraught with delays and problems in a number of areas throughout the country.
Barney

I anticipate an easy day. I'll be going over to my polling spot in the early afternoon before the folks get off of work. It's worked in the past for me. Besides, my wunnerful wife is behind the table on this one, (poll volunteer). So, if I see any shenanigans, ( self appointed teabagging poll watchers) I'll be hanging out with a camera till the polls close.
Where your "Forward" buttons when you vote, y'all!:D

Rex E. 11-05-2012 07:37 PM

I'm off work so I'll probably roam around the corner when I wake up.......

Bigerik 11-05-2012 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 132670)
That all said, I think we will see a slightly higher turnout than in 2008. Everyone that I talk to is fired up, (lefties, of course). Other than my stoner teabagging neighbor and Pete, I don't really know any wrongies.

Well, here's hoping. a 60% turnout would be great.

And isn't it bad form to quote yourself? :)