Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   If the election falls to the house.......... (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=11093)

JCricket 11-01-2016 11:11 PM

If the election falls to the house..........

It looks like this could be a possibility, slim but possible.
If neither candidate gets the 270, then the 50 states cast a vote. One vote per state. Currently the GOP controls most states.

This would mean Pence will be our next president.:rolleyes::D

bobabode 11-01-2016 11:13 PM

Not bloody likely. ;)

Tom Joad 11-02-2016 06:19 AM

None of the third party candidates have a snowballs chance in Hell of winning any electoral college votes. So, the only way that could happen is if Clinton and Trump tie with 269 each. That's a possibility, but a very remote one.

In that case, who knows who they would pick?

Pence would not be a shoo-in.

They might go with Ryan, or even Jeb Bush. They could even stick with Trump I suppose.

JCricket 11-02-2016 07:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Joad (Post 335308)
None of the third party candidates have a snowballs chance in Hell of winning any electoral college votes. So, the only way that could happen is if Clinton and Trump tie with 269 each. That's a possibility, but a very remote one.

They might go with Ryan, or even Jeb Bush. They could even stick with Trump I suppose.

I thought the house had to cast vote, deciding between the two highest candidates.

finnbow 11-02-2016 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Joad (Post 335308)

McMullin could possibly win in Utah, though it's unlikely.

Tom Joad 11-02-2016 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 335314)

Didn't think of that one.

That could throw some shit in the game.

The last time a third party won any electoral votes that I know of was George Wallace in 1968 when he carried several of the state of the Olde Confederacy.

Nixon still managed to pull it out, but I hear that he was apoplectic about it because at that time the Democrats controlled the house.

Pio1980 11-02-2016 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 335314)

McMuffin gets an apology from a Trump despicable deplorable.
As McMullin hits Trump on racism, white nationalist apologizes for verbal attack - http://www.sltrib.com/news/4536968-1...rump-on-racism

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

donquixote99 11-02-2016 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pio1980 (Post 335445)
McMuffin gets an apology from a Trump despicable deplorable.
As McMullin hits Trump on racism, white nationalist apologizes for verbal attack - http://www.sltrib.com/news/4536968-1...rump-on-racism

The white nationalist uses his 'apology' to push the same message he was apologizing for, with elaboration. Cute trick.

The Salt Lake Tribune cooperates nicely with the trick, I note. I'm noticing that they seem to be good at that sort of thing.

Pio1980 11-02-2016 07:06 PM

Yet McMuffin makes a pretty good case for himself as an alternative to the demagogue manchild.

JCricket 11-02-2016 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Joad (Post 335337)
Didn't think of that one.

That could throw some shit in the game.

The last time a third party won any electoral votes that I know of was George Wallace in 1968 when he carried several of the state of the Olde Confederacy.

Nixon still managed to pull it out, but I hear that he was apoplectic about it because at that time the Democrats controlled the house.

A c&p from wiki on Ross Perot. He didn't win any electoral votes, but some other guy won one in 1972
In the 1992 election, he received 18.9% of the popular vote, approximately 19,741,065 votes (but no electoral college votes), making him the most successful third-party presidential candidate in terms of the popular vote since Theodore Roosevelt in the 1912 election.[40] Unlike Perot, however, some other third party candidates since Roosevelt have won electoral college votes. (Robert La Follette had 13 in 1924, Strom Thurmond had 39 in 1948, George Wallace had 46 in 1968 and John Hospers won one in 1972, albeit from a faithless elector). Compared with Thurmond and Wallace, who polled very strongly in a small number of states, Perot's vote was more evenly spread across the country. Perot managed to finish second in two states: In Maine, Perot received 30.44% of the vote to Bush's 30.39% (Clinton won Maine with 38.77%); in Utah, Perot received 27.34% of the vote to Clinton's 24.65% (Bush won Utah with 43.36%). Although Perot won no state, he received the most votes in some counties, including Trinity County, California.