Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Current events (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   CO Supreme Court Boots Insurrectionist Trump from Primary Ballot (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=14124)

finnbow 12-19-2023 05:36 PM

CO Supreme Court Boots Insurrectionist Trump from Primary Ballot

In a historic decision Tuesday, the Colorado Supreme Court barred Donald Trump from running in the state’s presidential primary after determining that he had engaged in insurrection on Jan. 6, 2021...

The decision is certain to be appealed to the U.S. Supreme Court, but it will be up to the justices to decide whether to take the case. Scholars have said only the nation’s high court can settle the issue of whether the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol constituted an insurrection and whether Trump is banned from running.

“A majority of the court holds that President Trump is disqualified from holding the office of President under Section Three of the Fourteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution,” the decision reads. “Because he is disqualified, it would be a wrongful act under the Election Code for the Colorado Secretary of State to list him as a candidate on the presidential primary ballot.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...lorado-ballot/

Chicks 12-19-2023 05:49 PM

YES!!!!!!

Now, if this gets to SCOTUS, they will surely rule exactly the way they did on abortion, right, Whell?

bobabode 12-19-2023 05:58 PM

Very interesting.

Oerets 12-19-2023 06:15 PM

Begging for dollars commercials to pay lawyers soon to follow…..

SCOTUS will either save this country or destroy it with it’s decisions ahead dealing with the former guy.

Rajoo 12-19-2023 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicks (Post 426641)
YES!!!!!!

Now, if this gets to SCOTUS, they will surely rule exactly the way they did on abortion, right, Whell?

Aren't elections under the purview off each individual state, in which case all the justices will sit this one out except Justice "pay me more" Thomas.

Regardless this is indeed great news, state of Colorado is alleging that Trump is an insurrectionist and as such unworthy of the highest office, something the McConnel's Senate refused to do.

I am hoping the the MAGAts will go apeshit over this.

Human 12-19-2023 06:39 PM

Trump was never going to get Colorado’s electoral college votes anyway.

If this goes to the Supreme Court I would not be shocked if Trump loses.

RickeyM 12-20-2023 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rajoo (Post 426645)
Aren't elections under the purview off each individual state, in which case all the justices will sit this one out except Justice "pay me more" Thomas.

Regardless this is indeed great news, state of Colorado is alleging that Trump is an insurrectionist and as such unworthy of the highest office, something the McConnel's Senate refused to do.

I am hoping the the MAGAts will go apeshit over this.

I read a response from one online saying he's going to personally boycott Colorado and calling for other MAGAt's do do likewise. I may be wrong but I doubt anyone in Colorado cares about this boycott or 'Swammi's boycott of the Colorado primary election either.

GChief 12-20-2023 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Human (Post 426646)

Same, I don't see him losing the appeal. And most of the talking head legal experts I heard on the radio this morning said they would not be surprised if the SCOTUS was unanimous for Trump.

Chicks 12-20-2023 09:47 AM

Colorado Supreme Court Rules Trump is Ineligible for the Presidency Under Section 3 of the 14th Amendment
The Colorado court got this issue right. The case is now likely headed to the US Supreme Court.
https://reason.com/volokh/2023/12/19...4th-amendment/

The libertarian legal scholars at Reason are always an interesting read. The hard-right members of SCOTUS are going to have to really squirm on this one, as their rulings are cited by the SCOCO. Let's see just how corrupt Thomas and Alito are...

Rajoo 12-20-2023 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Human (Post 426646)
Trump was never going to get Colorado’s electoral college votes anyway.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GChief (Post 426664)
Same, I don't see him losing the appeal. And most of the talking head legal experts I heard on the radio this morning said they would not be surprised if the SCOTUS was unanimous for Trump.

After reading more on this, now I am betting the SCOTUS will reverse this very easily. Michigan ruled that since primary elections are a private affair conducted by the duopoly, the secretary of state has no legal grounds to interfere. I had forgotten that primaries are not state sanctioned elections, so Trump will get a reversal on this. The risk is that if they uphold this, another fifteen states or so will follow suit leading to serious civil consequences.

On the other hand, I do wish a lot of other states follow suit before SCOTUS makes their ruling.

Perhaps the Colorado's justices have accomplished what they set out to accomplish, determining that Trump is an Insurrectionist and a Traitor.