Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Current events (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   She was dangling from a bridge! (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=12559)

barbara 10-22-2018 08:01 AM

She was dangling from a bridge!

I do not know if any of you watched cnn this morning but they were reporting on the caravan of immigrants stalled on a bridge.
They showed a mother hanging onto a ladder, dangling off a bridge to be lowered to a raft in the river. Once she reached the raft, her two small children were brought down.
Ok.... I know all the arguments about these people breaking the law to come here illegally .... blah blah blah...
putting all the politics of that aside, there was a desperate mother dangling from a bridge.
As a parent, I, much like any of you, would move mountains in the best interest of my children. And while I have seen tough times, I have never had to dangle from a bridge.
I have to wonder about the condition of our country when we have, seemingly, lost our humanity to partisan politics.

I do not know why this story struck such a nerve in me. I guess I am sick and tired of the hate being peddled by politicians.

donquixote99 10-22-2018 03:27 PM

Lots of other things go on in these people lives that are even worse than dangling from a ladder.

barbara 10-22-2018 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donquixote99 (Post 375649)
Lots of other things go on in these people lives that are even worse than dangling from a ladder.

Exactly....
Seems to me the most powerful nation in the world could come up with some ideas of how to address the situation in a humane way.

donquixote99 10-22-2018 06:32 PM

El Presidente is instead looking forward to his very own Gaza-on-the-Rio-Grande.

Pio1980 10-22-2018 08:07 PM

I keep thinking of the S. S. St Louis debacle.

Dondilion 10-23-2018 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbara (Post 375652)
Exactly....
Seems to me the most powerful nation in the world could come up with some ideas of how to address the situation in a humane way.

It gave amnesty to millions, mostly Mexicans, when Reagan was President.

j_b_rainey 10-29-2018 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbara (Post 375652)
Exactly....

I agree...We have room for a billion plus people here. Open the gates!!!

donquixote99 10-29-2018 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j_b_rainey (Post 375759)
I agree...We have room for a billion plus people here. Open the gates!!!

That's about as fair as me suggesting the anti-immigration solution is 'kill them all.'

j_b_rainey 10-29-2018 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donquixote99 (Post 375760)
That's about as fair as me suggesting the anti-immigration solution is 'kill them all.'

Excuse me? That sounds racist to me. Why would you deny entry to anyone worldwide if you allow entry to those "dangling" from a bridge and their families. Is there a double standard? What would your entry criteria be?

donquixote99 10-30-2018 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j_b_rainey (Post 375776)
Excuse me? That sounds racist to me. Why would you deny entry to anyone worldwide if you allow entry to those "dangling" from a bridge and their families. Is there a double standard? What would your entry criteria be?

How cute. You worked the R-word in.

The person does not get entry because of dangling from a bridge, per se, although your lack of sympathy for a person in such peril is quite telling. Asylum for refugees, of course, is based on demonstrated peril in homeland, not while traveling. But on humanitarian grounds, we should assist Mexico to assure safety of travellers.

@JJIII: tell me I've got a new target here, and I'll suspect you're right!