Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Politics (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Global Warming? (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=4260)

Independent 07-04-2012 11:29 AM

Global Warming?

With 16 of the last 20 years being the the warmest in recordable history, what do you all think?

All I know is, it's been been an awful damn long time since I heard some right-wing nut job say "so much for global warming"......

:D

Indy

merrylander 07-04-2012 11:44 AM

Given the crazy weather we have been having I can't see any other explanation.

Boreas 07-04-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Independent (Post 110695)
With 16 of the last 20 years being the the warmest in recordable history, what do you all think?

All I know is, it's been been an awful damn long time since I heard some right-wing nut job say "so much for global warming"......

:D

Indy

Hey, Indy-

It ain't what I think. It's what I know. Anthropogenic global warming is a scientific fact.

By the way, in the United States since June 25th more than 2,000 local high temperature records have been tied or broken. Since June 1st the number is over 3,200.

Then there's that freak "derecho" last week. These are land-based straight line (non-cyclonic but tornadoes can form within them) "super hurricanes". It arose out of nowhere and covered 700 miles before anyone knew what hit them.

These things and other forms of freak severe weather are exactly in line with scientific models of global warming phenomena.

John

Oerets 07-04-2012 12:50 PM

Sea levels rising, stronger storms and drought. Wild fires going on almost all spring and summer. High temperature records breaking at ever increasing frequencies. If this last one was a occurrence in the norm. Then there also should be new records being for cold temperatures at close to one to one ratio. That is if we were in a stable environment model. But we are not the temperature is going up plenty of evidence to those who look.

I think people do not want to face the facts that our lifestyles is unsustainable. Someday hard choices will be made and I'm afraid the ones doing them will look back with discuss on all of us today!

Barney

djv8ga 07-04-2012 12:55 PM

85* and raining right now on the 4th of July in Phoenix. If this is global warming, lets keep it going!

Boreas 07-04-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oerets (Post 110703)
I think people do not want to face the facts that our lifestyles is unsustainable.

Or that the way they've chosen to earn their livelihood is exacerbating the problem.

John

finnbow 07-04-2012 01:07 PM

I don't have a great deal of doubt about the existence of global warming. I do, however, have issues with the partisan nature of the debate on the subject as well as the efficacy/costs of any measures to counter it.

I believe the GOP's denial of its existence is just a shortcut to not having to have an intelligent discussion about what, if anything, to do about it.

BlueStreak 07-04-2012 01:07 PM

Just another item in the growing list of things the wingnuts are wrong about.

Nothing suprising about that, really........

djv8ga 07-04-2012 01:09 PM

Now 79* and raining harder. I love global warming.

BlueStreak 07-04-2012 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 110710)
I don't have a great deal of doubt about the existence of global warming. I do, however, have issues with the partisan nature of the debate on the subject as well as the efficacy/costs of any measures to counter it.

The problem is so big, there's really not much we can do about it?

I agree. But, I can still find the wingnuts dogged denial of it's existence amusing, can't I?

Dave