Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Current events (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   A Very Near Miss (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=674)

Boreas 12-25-2009 08:28 PM

A Very Near Miss

Earlier today a Nigerian with apparent terrorist ties attempted to blow up a Delta flight from Amsterdam to Detroit. Details are sketchy but it appears that he triggered the device but that it failed, succeeding only in starting a small fire. Passengers who noticed the "POP" and the flames subdued the man.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8430612.stm

John

noonereal 12-26-2009 02:38 AM

Seems to me this is airline security not doing it's job.

merrylander 12-26-2009 07:02 AM

Since the 'explosive' did not explode maybe it was not detectable as an explosive.

Noon your PM box is full.

Grumpy 12-26-2009 07:09 AM

If i was on the plane next to him, third degree burns would not be all he had to worry about.

noonereal 12-26-2009 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merrylander (Post 12971)
Since the 'explosive' did not explode maybe it was not detectable as an explosive.

Noon your PM box is full.

Yes, I am trying to figure out how to archive. :confused:

I dislike deleting any communications as I have such a poor memory!

When I got a new PC (business) the tech kid who came over to transfer my settings/info and he said he had never had a seen so much mail. As customers have much worse memories than I do, I save all communication with them. Very handy.

Sandy G 12-26-2009 08:04 AM

Me, too, Dave...Back in the day, I had a friend who flew for Saudia, the Saudi Arabian flag airlines.There was commonly a Saudi security guard or 2 that flew incognito on most of their flights. Once a couple of byrds tried to hijack one of THEIR flights, they were overpowered, brought up to the front seats of the plane, had towels wrapped around them, & the security guys slit their throats. When the plane landed, EVERYBODY on board had to file by & see what would happen if YOU tried to do the same thing...Needless to say, there weren't many hijackings of Saudia planes...

Grumpy 12-26-2009 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandy G (Post 12976)
Me, too, Dave...Back in the day, I had a friend who flew for Saudia, the Saudi Arabian flag airlines.There was commonly a Saudi security guard or 2 that flew incognito on most of their flights. Once a couple of byrds tried to hijack one of THEIR flights, they were overpowered, brought up to the front seats of the plane, had towels wrapped around them, & the security guys slit their throats. When the plane landed, EVERYBODY on board had to file by & see what would happen if YOU tried to do the same thing...Needless to say, there weren't many hijackings of Saudia planes...

Dang I like that policy !

piece-itpete 12-28-2009 08:29 AM

This is all just fearmongering by Obama and Co.

;)

Pete

BlueStreak 12-28-2009 10:00 AM

So, if he boarded the plane in Amsterdam, then how in the hell is this the fault of the U.S. Government and President Obama, as the media and the Republican Party has already been busy alledging? Seems to me the airline and the airport security in Amsterdam should be the ones under the microscope. He was on the list, (As big as the list may be.), was he not?

And my second question would be this;
He planned to crash the plane over Detroit?
The loss of the people in the plane would have been a terrible tradgedy,
but Detroit is already wrecked. What, you crash a plane into an abandoned, delapidated car factory, then what?:confused: What a putz!

Dave

Boreas 12-28-2009 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueStreak (Post 13097)
So, if he boarded the plane in Amsterdam, then how in the hell is this the fault of the U.S. Government and President Obama, as the media and the Republican Party has already been busy alledging?

Pathetic, isn't it? So much for the "Left Wing Media"!

John