Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Current events (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Lefty College Prof Attacked....by other lefties (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=11555)

whell 03-13-2017 12:01 PM

Lefty College Prof Attacked....by other lefties

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...bGN/story.html

Gotta love the open - minds and tolerance on the left these days.

Snowflakes melted down last week at Middlebury College in VT, attacking and injuring a college professor. Allison Stanger, a professor of international politics and economics, dared to engage in a public exchange of ideas at an American institution of higher learning.

Her offense? She interviewed Charles Murray. Apparently, having an individual with different ideas that the liberal consensus is just not allowed on college campuses today.

Her punishment? "Stanger was physically attacked by protesters, her neck was injured and her hair was pulled. She was later taken to the emergency room and released, she said. “For those of you who marched in Washington the day after the inauguration, imagine being in a crowd like that, only being surrounded by hatred rather than love. I feared for my life,” she wrote."

News reports have her returning to the hospital today suffering on-going concussion symptoms.

Her attackers? An angry mob of lefty snowflakes who are absolutely intolerant of opposing viewpoints.

I wonder if any of our PC forum members where hanging around Middlebury College last week.

JCricket 03-13-2017 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whell (Post 350375)
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...bGN/story.html

Gotta love the open - minds and tolerance on the left these days.

Snowflakes melted down last week at Middlebury College in VT, attacking and injuring a college professor. Allison Stanger, a professor of international politics and economics, dared to engage in a public exchange of ideas at an American institution of higher learning.

Her offense? She interviewed Charles Murray. Apparently, having an individual with different ideas that the liberal consensus is just not allowed on college campuses today.

Her punishment? "Stanger was physically attacked by protesters, her neck was injured and her hair was pulled. She was later taken to the emergency room and released, she said. “For those of you who marched in Washington the day after the inauguration, imagine being in a crowd like that, only being surrounded by hatred rather than love. I feared for my life,” she wrote."

News reports have her returning to the hospital today suffering on-going concussion symptoms.

Her attackers? An angry mob of lefty snowflakes who are absolutely intolerant of opposing viewpoints.

I wonder if any of our PC forum members where hanging around Middlebury College last week.

Hey Whell, just for the sake of completeness, here is the final quote in the article from Strange:

“To people who wish to spin this story as one about what’s wrong with elite colleges and universities, you are mistaken,” Stanger wrote. “Please instead consider this as a metaphor for what is wrong with our country, and on that, Charles Murray and I would agree.”

Pio1980 03-13-2017 12:47 PM

While Murray called the incident a possible “disaster” for liberal colleges, Stanger said it highlighted the divides in the country.

“To people who wish to spin this story as one about what’s wrong with elite colleges and universities, you are mistaken,” Stanger wrote. “Please instead consider this as a metaphor for what is wrong with our country, and on that, Charles Murray and I would agree".

whell 03-13-2017 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCricket (Post 350378)
Hey Whell, just for the sake of completeness, here is the final quote in the article from Strange:

“To people who wish to spin this story as one about what’s wrong with elite colleges and universities, you are mistaken,” Stanger wrote. “Please instead consider this as a metaphor for what is wrong with our country, and on that, Charles Murray and I would agree.”

I didn't say anywhere in my post that I thought something was specifically wrong with colleges and universities. I did certainly mean to imply that there was something wrong with LEFTISTS at colleges and universities. I can certainly understand where you might think "leftists" and "colleges and universities" might be a distinction without a difference, however.

whell 03-13-2017 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pio1980 (Post 350379)
While Murray called the incident a possible “disaster” for liberal colleges, Stanger said it highlighted the divides in the country.

“To people who wish to spin this story as one about what’s wrong with elite colleges and universities, you are mistaken,” Stanger wrote. “Please instead consider this as a metaphor for what is wrong with our country, and on that, Charles Murray and I would agree".

See post 4.

merrylander 03-13-2017 02:25 PM

And so the Trumpists at an Arizona rally were telling people of Jewish faith to go home (likely somewhere in the Bronx) or stating that they could hardly wait for the leftist genocide. Your man Donald seems to have set the country against itself. I have no link as it was in a Daily KOS e-mail, someone seems to have gotten me on their list, hopefully not the same person who had the NRA send me a membership application or given my e-mail to the Heritage Foundation.

I really do not have time for looking about for such headlines as for the last year and a half I have been researching the depredations of Monsanto Chemical and arguing with the Department of Labor. But whatever floats your boat Mike.

JCricket 03-13-2017 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whell (Post 350382)
I didn't say anywhere in my post that I thought something was specifically wrong with colleges and universities. I did certainly mean to imply that there was something wrong with LEFTISTS at colleges and universities. I can certainly understand where you might think "leftists" and "colleges and universities" might be a distinction without a difference, however.

"Gotta love the open - minds and tolerance on the left these days." This is the first sentence of your OP. It seems to point at all left leaning people. I guess I don't recognize sarcasm when I see it.:rolleyes:

whell 03-13-2017 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merrylander (Post 350386)
And so the Trumpists at an Arizona rally were telling people of Jewish faith to go home (likely somewhere in the Bronx) or stating that they could hardly wait for the leftist genocide.

Folks still have freedom of speech in this country. It used to be the left that said "I don't agree with what you're saying but I support your right to say it."

That mindset appears to be dying on the left, and is being replaced by "snowflakes" who want their "safe spaces", and folks like those who showed up at Middlebury College to disrupt the discussion and physically attack those they disagree with.

Your effort to conflate a few idiotic loudmouths in Phoenix with folks who physically attacked and injured a college prof is nothing more than a sad defense of the violence of the folks at the college....and its sad.

whell 03-13-2017 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merrylander (Post 350386)
I really do not have time for looking about for such headlines ....

Apparently neither did the usually lefty rags like Salon who were all over the comments of the loudmouths in Phoenix but couldn't be bothered with the story at Middlebury College. :rolleyes:

finnbow 03-13-2017 04:56 PM

There are ample examples of @ssholes from across the political spectrum. I'm not sure what the point of highlighting those from one side as if they don't exist on the other. That said, the biggest @sshole of the bunch sits in the Oval Office.