Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Introductions (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   New members start here (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=148)

d-ray657 06-24-2014 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HarmanKardon (Post 226851)
Looking for truth or as close as one can get to the truth is in a way a taoist virtue.

Welcome. I am the only no native English speaking foreigner in this crazy gang.

Your English is better than many native speakers. But one of the hardest things to learn about a language, particularly on a medium like this, where there is no tone of voice to provide clues, is when someone is being facetious.

And who are you calling a gang? :rolleyes:

Regards,

D-Ray

HarmanKardon 06-25-2014 01:03 AM

Always this damned language barrier. I think "hen party" (in the sense of the German term "Kaffeekränzchen") is better. :D

:)

merrylander 06-25-2014 05:54 AM

The biggest problem for speakers of a different language is slang or local usage. Having grown up in Quebec I am well aware how this works in both English and French. Allso having lectured abroad you had to be very careful to avoid such terms and phrases.

finnbow 06-25-2014 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merrylander (Post 227016)
The biggest problem for speakers of a different language is slang or local usage. Having grown up in Quebec I am well aware how this works in both English and French. Allso having lectured abroad you had to be very careful to avoid such terms and phrases.

Yep. It was funny to listen to Americans who thought they spoke passable German when I lived there. They would directly translate American idioms and wonder why Germans didn't understand them.:confused:

HarmanKardon 06-25-2014 07:37 AM

Body language helps a lot - facial expressions and things like that, but not in the internet. The internet is the perfect place for misunderstandings in a foreign language, despite smilies and emoticons.

merrylander 06-25-2014 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 227027)
Yep. It was funny to listen to Americans who thought they spoke passable German when I lived there. They would directly translate American idioms and wonder why Germans didn't understand them.:confused:

I settled for learning to say bitte und danke when I was there.:)

It seemed to work.

Rajoo 03-06-2016 11:07 PM

Not a new member but a continuing member. I had requested a user name change to the one I use on AK. Why? This is a great forum, knowledge and intelligence are awesome and figured I will stick around and continue to participate. So why go incognito, so as of this evening I am using my real first name for a user name.

And once again thank you all.
ex-BeamOn and now Rajoo

donquixote99 03-06-2016 11:26 PM

Ah, that's why Bob was always calling you Rajoo. Clears that up.

Pleased to meet you, Rajoo!

Rajoo 03-06-2016 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donquixote99 (Post 305140)
Ah, that's why Bob was always calling you Rajoo. Clears that up.

Pleased to meet you, Rajoo!

Likewise DQ, pleasure to know you. If I ever have a problem with a JBL voice coil, expect a PM. :)

HarmanKardon 03-07-2016 01:27 AM

Goodbye BeamOn, hello Rajoo!