Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Politics and the Environment (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Japan agrees to hand over nuclear material to United States (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=7143)

bobabode 03-26-2014 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donquixote99 (Post 204956)
It's the stuff bombs are made of.

Fuel too. I don't get what the big deal is. We've been buying Russian nukes for fuel for a couple of decades. NASA used Plutonium reactors in long range spacecraft.

4-2-7 03-26-2014 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueStreak (Post 204999)
For YOU, I choose number 2.

For myself, neither.

Dave

Didn't you just mention a comment to you about suicide?

donquixote99 03-26-2014 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 205280)
Fuel too. I don't get what the big deal is. We've been buying Russian nukes for fuel for a couple of decades. NASA used Plutonium reactors in long range spacecraft.

It was just one of yesterday's memes.

4-2-7 03-26-2014 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 205280)

NASA is out of business:rolleyes:

finnbow 03-26-2014 09:53 PM

The HEU will down-mixed to make nuclear fuel for power plants. The plutonium will be stored securely by DOE just like they store our own plutonium. Moreover, the Japanese will be paying us to take it off their hands, while removing it from possible diversion to illicit weapons programs. This is a good thing, unless you're too feckin' ignorant to understand it as such.

bobabode 03-26-2014 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 205342)
The HEU will down-mixed to make nuclear fuel for power plants. The plutonium will be stored securely by DOE just like they store our own plutonium. Moreover, the Japanese will be paying us to take it off their hands, while removing it from possible diversion to illicit weapons programs. This is a good thing, unless you're too feckin' ignorant to understand it as such.

Indeed. 'Conspiracy Theories' is where this thread belongs.

djv8ga 03-27-2014 01:51 AM

It's all washing up on California's shores already. What's changed?

MikeG22 03-27-2014 07:06 AM

No please Japan don't give us that free energy source. I bet Obama's behind this. What's the big theory 4-2-7? Is Obama bringing it here to blow us all up?

4-2-7 03-27-2014 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djv8ga (Post 205358)
It's all washing up on California's shores already. What's changed?

Good point, All that energy is washing onto our shores forever.

Such a strange group here, can't have a pipeline and burn oil. However we can store other countries nuk wast.

Pio1980 03-27-2014 08:09 AM

The situation re-poses the need to develop sustainable energy policies that encourage efficiency and conservation. Once nuke looked good ("too cheap to meter", they said) but the unintended consequences and delaying unsolved problem complications to a future solution that has yet to appear has only highlighted the difficulties. Solar, as the primary source of energy for most natural processes (evaporation/precipitation= hydro, wind turbines, tidal/wave generation, ect), is still the most promising, and geo-thermal the most intriguing if only the whole world looked like Iceland. It's essential to remember that electricity is a converted transmission and storage mode of energy, it needs a source in order to appear. Basing anything in electric gadgetry must that that into account, likewise for hydrogen as a fuel. AFAIK, only Iceland could economically produce hydrogen for fuel from abundant geothermal generation/ electrolytic conversion.