Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   The Unemployment Line (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Resignations (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=3044)

vinyl1 10-01-2011 07:17 PM

Resignations

I hadn't seen any resignations for years at my place, nobody was going anywhere.

Now, we are starting to see a trickle. Some guys have found better jobs, and they are turning in their notice.

We had one guy who had transferred into my group, taking a job that must be the most tedious in the world (assistant to the release manager), and after four weeks in the position he was shaking hands and moving on. Obviously something he had been working on came through.

And in another field, my niece was stuck in a low-paying job at an elementary school. Two weeks into the school year, a place she had interviewed at over the summer called her and offered her $14K more.

Whether any of this will have any impact on the unemployed, or is just musical chairs, is not yet clear.

Charles 10-01-2011 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vinyl1 (Post 74792)
I hadn't seen any resignations for years at my place, nobody was going anywhere.

Now, we are starting to see a trickle. Some guys have found better jobs, and they are turning in their notice.

We had one guy who had transferred into my group, taking a job that must be the most tedious in the world (assistant to the release manager), and after four weeks in the position he was shaking hands and moving on. Obviously something he had been working on came through.

And in another field, my niece was stuck in a low-paying job at an elementary school. Two weeks into the school year, a place she had interviewed at over the summer called her and offered her $14K more.

Whether any of this will have any impact on the unemployed, or is just musical chairs, is not yet clear.

Well, I'm not jumping through my asshole with joy just yet, but it is a positive sign.

Least in your neck of the woods.

Chas

BlueStreak 10-01-2011 11:32 PM

Yep, that's what makes me wonder sometimes. I hear about high unemployment constantly............but, I don't know any unemployed people. Even my relatives in Ohio are all working. I know lots of underemployed people, reduced hours, shitty pay, working beneath their skills, (Or under the table.)........................

What gives?

Dave

merrylander 10-02-2011 07:46 AM

Found out last night that the manager at our local liquor store quit after an argumant with the owner. He is thinking of opening his own store, if he does he gets our business. Asked the chap acting as manager if he wanted the job, he said "Hell no because I would argue with Jon too and then quit". The owner sounds like a reas a**hole.

whell 10-07-2011 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueStreak (Post 74819)
Yep, that's what makes me wonder sometimes. I hear about high unemployment constantly............but, I don't know any unemployed people.

Dave

C'mon up here to Detroit. I'll introduce you to plenty.

BlueStreak 10-07-2011 12:52 PM

Detroit has been a shithole since the end of WW2. The militant reaction to unfettered capitalism there has been brutal, long term and well deserved. The rabid racism, the repeated and failed attempts at using poor blacks as scabs and the subsequent attempts to house and maintain them, unemployed, has left scars that may never heal. Now, you want to do the same for the rest of the country. Thanks.

Now put on your tri-corner hat and go teabag for Jesus. Your masters are frightened they might have to do something for someone other than themselves.

Dave

BlueStreak 10-07-2011 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merrylander (Post 74840)
Found out last night that the manager at our local liquor store quit after an argumant with the owner. He is thinking of opening his own store, if he does he gets our business. Asked the chap acting as manager if he wanted the job, he said "Hell no because I would argue with Jon too and then quit". The owner sounds like a reas a**hole.

Oh no, Rob. He's a businessman, they are ALL precious and perfect. Don't you ever watch Beck?:rolleyes:

Dave

Dondilion 10-07-2011 02:26 PM

My daughter after temping got one of thse precious NY state jobs. :D

vinyl1 12-06-2011 06:32 PM

I went into work today after working from home yesterday, and I had a message on my phone.....a headhunter! "We have lots of good positions at major financial firms in the NYC area, they need business analysts, java programmers, and C++ programmers. Send me you email address, and I'll send you a full list!"

I haven't got anything like that since 2007.

BlueStreak 12-07-2011 07:46 AM

Good for you!

Here we have another coffee plant scheduled to open next year. My plant is adding five new production lines. In my hometown in Ohio, they have a new steel mill scheduled to come online in the next couple of months.

You think we''ll see any of this good news on Fox? No, it's too soon. The GOP can't steal any credit for it yet.

Dave