Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Current events (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Fox busted for editing protest... (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=8511)

sheltiedave 12-23-2014 03:08 PM

Fox busted for editing protest...

Fox station apologizes to Black Lives Matter protester for editing chant to say ‘Kill a cop’

A Baltimore FOX station apologized to a Black Lives Matter protester on Monday after the station deceptively edited a chant by protesters to say “Kill a cop.”

According to Talking Points Memo, the chant, led by protester Tawanda Jones, actually said, “We won’t stop, we can’t stop, ’til killer cops, are in cell blocks.”

On Monday, Gawker noted the deceptive editing, juxtaposing Baltimore Fox station WBFF’s footage against actual footage from the protest event, which the site acquired via C-SPAN.

The Fox station apologized to the protesters and to Jones both on its Facebook page and in an interview with Jones.

The Facebook post claimed that the station’s engineers misheard what the protesters were chanting and called it an “honest misunderstanding.”

Jones appeared on WBFF’s 5 p.m. newscast on Monday to address the issue. She expressed skepticism that the station hadn’t doctored the recording of the protest chant to deliberately inflame viewers.

“The interesting part that really gets to me is, where you guys edited it and stopped,” Jones said. “Like, how could that be a mistake?”

“Once you play that whole thing, you would know that’s not something that’s being said,” she continued.

Because the station has now broadcast phony footage of her calling for the murder of police, Jones said, she is worried that she and her loved ones will become targets for retaliation by police or their supporters.

“At the end of the day, people’s lives are on the line,” she said, tearfully. “Now, even though we’re doing this, I still don’t feel safe because I still feel like the message is out there.”

“What if a crazed-out cop or a crazed-out supporter thinks I’m trying to get cops killed?” she said.

Jones is the sister of Tyrone West, who died in police custody in 2013.

What a surprise!:cool:

After all, it is so hard to understand Ebonics, and black people in general......

finnbow 12-23-2014 03:32 PM

We report, you decide.:eek:

donquixote99 12-23-2014 04:05 PM

More like "We lie, people die."

I fear this is going to wind up with NYC under martial law, with a large number of dead--mostly civilians. And crap like this from Fox is just helping that to happen.

finnbow 12-23-2014 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donquixote99 (Post 253813)
More like "We lie, people die."

I fear this is going to wind up with NYC under martial law, with a large number of dead--mostly civilians. And crap like this from Fox is just helping that to happen.

True enough, but much of our media (not just Faux) seems to thrive on conflict, even if they have to stoke it.

Boreas 12-23-2014 05:01 PM

I grew up in Baltimore and can remember WBFF from its very beginnings. It was always apiece of crap and, now that it's a FOX affiliate, things are worse.

John

BlueStreak 12-23-2014 05:07 PM

No! The rightwing media try to twist things and vilify people? Why they would NEVER! It isn't moral!:rolleyes:

Dave

finnbow 12-23-2014 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boreas (Post 253820)
I grew up in Baltimore and can remember WBFF from its very beginnings. It was always apiece of crap and, now that it's a FOX affiliate, things are worse.

John

In general, Baltimore media sucks compared to DC's media. The Baltimore Sun is a shadow of its former self.

Rajoo 12-23-2014 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 253817)
True enough, but much of our media (not just Faux) seems to thrive on conflict, even if they have to stoke it.

This is not stoking though, more like intentionally provoking a violent response.

finnbow 12-23-2014 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeamOn (Post 253825)
This is not stoking though, more like intentionally provoking a violent response.

Not to defend Fox, but I think they're more interested in confirming the the biases of their viewers than stoking a violent response among blacks. There's also a possibility of piss-poor, shoddy journalism, though I'd be the last to throw them that lifeline.

sheltiedave 12-25-2014 01:18 PM

And, as usual, not a peep from the righteous.