Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Current events (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Bring Out the Big Balloons! (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=12038)

whell 10-26-2017 11:25 AM

Bring Out the Big Balloons!

https://www.thewrap.com/ellen-degene...-ogling-tweet/

In the wake of sexual harassment issues bubbling up in Hollywood, I wonder if Ellen is going to get axed from her show? Probably not, but this does highlight that the sexual harassment issue has many angles.

nailer 10-26-2017 12:31 PM

Back in the day when we were being PC indoctrinated I learned a person was being sexually harassed if they felt they were. I'm thinking Perry is okay with any attention her breasts bring her.

FWIW, there's clearly a double standard in place. Go girl power!

All this being said, in this case your point is fairly weak.

finnbow 10-26-2017 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whell (Post 362961)

In the wake of sexual harassment issues bubbling up in Hollywood, I wonder if Ellen is going to get axed from her show? Probably not, but this does highlight that the sexual harassment issue has many angles.

At least she did grab her by the pussy.:eek:

Pio1980 10-26-2017 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whell (Post 362961)

Jimmy Kimmel does pretty much the same banter on his show with some male guests. It's insider friendly stuff, so what.

whell 10-26-2017 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pio1980 (Post 362970)
Jimmy Kimmel does pretty much the same banter on his show with some male guests. It's insider friendly stuff, so what.

Hmmm....didn't know Jimmy Kimmel was gay. Do you have an inside scoop? :rolleyes:

whell 10-26-2017 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nailer (Post 362965)
Back in the day when we were being PC indoctrinated I learned a person was being sexually harassed if they felt they were. I'm thinking Perry is okay with any attention her breasts bring her.

FWIW, there's clearly a double standard in place. Go girl power!

All this being said, in this case your point is fairly weak.

In the workplace, any such remarks or jokes can be grounds for disciplinary action. Rationale? The two folks who are joking might not "feel harassed", but a person who overhears those jokes / comments might take exception to them. At the very least, a workplace that tolerates such jokes or comments can be accused of creating a "hostile environment".

So, while you may think the point is "weak", the harassment complaints that are filed regularly with the state or federal departments of labor are sometimes made of weaker stuff.

nailer 10-26-2017 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whell (Post 362974)
In the workplace, any such remarks or jokes can be grounds for disciplinary action. Rationale? The two folks who are joking might not "feel harassed", but a person who overhears those jokes / comments might take exception to them. At the very least, a workplace that tolerates such jokes or comments can be accused of creating a "hostile environment".

So, while you may think the point is "weak", the harassment complaints that are filed regularly with the state or federal departments of labor are sometimes made of weaker stuff.

I'm pretty sure Ellen wasn't creating a hostile working environment. Your points in defense of your original weak point are equally weak, but I did enjoy your conservative HR guy closing whine.

whell 10-26-2017 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nailer (Post 362976)
I'm pretty sure Ellen wasn't creating a hostile working environment. Your points in defense of your original weak point are equally weak, but I did enjoy your conservative HR guy closing whine.

It wasn't a "whine". It was pretty accurate. It wasn't meant to diminish harassment claims. Rather, it demonstrates the low threshold that is required for some conduct to be deemed offensive or harassing.

However, your comment seems to fall into the realm of excusing this kind of behavior. I understand the "eye of the beholder offense". However, the standard in harassment complaints is: would a "reasonable person" observing this behavior (or experiencing the behavior) find it offensive / harassing? Where the victim of harassment is a woman, the standard is elevated to: would a "reasonable woman" observing this behavior (or experiencing the behavior) find it offensive / harassing?

nailer 10-26-2017 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whell (Post 362981)
It wasn't a "whine". It was pretty accurate. It wasn't meant to diminish harassment claims. Rather, it demonstrates the low threshold that is required for some conduct to be deemed offensive or harassing.

However, your comment seems to fall into the realm of excusing this kind of behavior. I understand the "eye of the beholder offense". However, the standard in harassment complaints is: would a "reasonable person" observing this behavior (or experiencing the behavior) find it offensive / harassing? Where the victim of harassment is a woman, the standard is elevated to: would a "reasonable woman" observing this behavior (or experiencing the behavior) find it offensive / harassing?

Of course it was a whine/complaint and your low threshold observation diminishes.

Pretty sure Ellen's joke easily exceeds the reasonable person criteria, so no excusing needed on my part.

whell 10-26-2017 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nailer (Post 362984)
Of course it was a whine/complaint and your low threshold observation diminishes.

Pretty sure Ellen's joke easily exceeds the reasonable person criteria, so no excusing needed on my part.

Of course it wasn't a whine/complaint. It was a fact. Sorry you can't tell the difference.