Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Current events (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   The Chicken and the Pig................ (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=7904)

BlueStreak 07-23-2014 09:40 PM

The Chicken and the Pig................

"I would like to share a story with you. It's a story about a chicken and a pig.

A chicken and a pig are walking down the road, when the chicken proposes the two of them start a restaurant. The pig asks, "What should we call this new restaurant?". To which the chicken replies, "Ham and Eggs."

See, that's the kind of dedication we need from you, our employees. We need more people like the pig, willing to sacrifice whatever it takes for the good of the business.......".

The pig gets to "sacrifice" his life and those of other pigs once he's gone. The chicken gets to lay eggs, live and collect the money.:rolleyes:

This is what we were told in the monthly employee/management meeting last night, by our Plant Manager. Which, of course, was followed by the unveiling of the new shift schedule which will reduce the production employees to 34.5 hours a week.

No, I DO NOT LIKE what you "pro-business" types are turning my country into.:rolleyes:

Dave

BlueStreak 07-23-2014 09:42 PM

(Fortunately, for me, this does not yet apply to the maintenance department. We will remain on our current schedule.)

bobabode 07-23-2014 09:44 PM

Sheesh. :(

icenine 07-23-2014 09:46 PM

they were dumb enough to tell a story like that?

how did it go down with the production workers?

Tom Joad 07-23-2014 09:53 PM

God.

And I thought it was bad when right after Jeb Bush got elected governor our management started pushing that "Who moved my cheese crap.":rolleyes:

djv8ga 07-23-2014 09:59 PM

Usually layoffs are coming when hours are cut like that.

BlueStreak 07-23-2014 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Joad (Post 232437)
God.

And I thought it was bad when right after Jeb Bush got elected governor our management started pushing that "Who moved my cheese crap.":rolleyes:

Who Moved my Cheese?

Our Iceberg is Melting!

The Question Behind the Question

Fish Tales!

The Five Pillars of Organizational Excellence

I've read all of those books. All of them provided by employers. There are some great basic ideas to be found in all of them. They all make points that people probably should follow. But, they all also have the same Achilles Heel;

They exist only in the ideal world. In the real world people act differently, whether you like it or not.

Dave

BlueStreak 07-23-2014 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icenine (Post 232434)
they were dumb enough to tell a story like that?

how did it go down with the production workers?

You can imagine. They were "guaranteed" that they could sign up to make up their hours on their day off, if there is work available.:rolleyes:

Dave

Oerets 07-23-2014 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueStreak (Post 232430)
(Fortunately, for me, this does not yet apply to the maintenance department. We will remain on our current schedule.)

Your lucky that the management haven't found a way to have you run production! One of my son's is in maintenance (non-union BTW) here and runs a machine when not fixing or everything running smooth!

Barney

BlueStreak 07-23-2014 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djv8ga (Post 232439)
Usually layoffs are coming when hours are cut like that.

That's just the thing. We were told the reduction comes in an effort to avoid laying anyone off. However, approximately 25% of our employees are "temps".

As much as I hate to see anyone lose their job, a temp is a temporary employee after all. Why are full employees being penalized to save a few jobs of someone who can just be reassigned by a temp service and be no worse off? It makes no sense.

Dave