Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Religion & Politics (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   An interesting note, from a teacher. (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=5181)

BlueStreak 12-17-2012 05:25 AM

An interesting note, from a teacher.

The guy who wrote this, Tom, is an old friend of mine and our class valedictorian back in '82. Tom is a teacher now in the Ohio public school system and has been for about 25 years. This is what he wrote in response to someone who complained that tragedies such as Sandy Hook and Va. Tech are a result of the lack of "God" and "Christian values" being taught in the public school system.

Enjoy;

"I get a little tired of seeing posts that more or less blame the terrible tragedy in Connecticut on God "not being allowed" in schools. Some even believe the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting is some kind of "divine retribution" for not allowing prayer in public schools. Folks, if you think God isn't in the schools, perhaps it isn't so much because the government "doesn't allow" Him there, perhaps it is because YOU didn't send Him to school with your children. In the words of Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, "teach your children well". My children have attended public school since they started and have not had organized prayer one single day at school. Anyone that knows my kids will attest that they are kind, loving, accepting and comapssionate towards others. They are that way, because their mother and I TAUGHT them to be that way. Let me say that again: "WE TAUGHT THEM." We take them to church where they attend Sunday school and learn about God and His
son, Jesus. We didn't sit back and lament that the schools or the government didn't do it for us. Prayer is in fact allowed in schools. Students can participate prayer groups if they choose. In fact, there is a Fellowship of Christian Athletes group that meets one day after school every month in our school. It is always advertised that non-athletes are invited as well at these meetings. In my opinion, you can have all the prayer in school you want but if children still go home to a place of anger and ignorance at the end of the day, these tragic things are still going to happen. You want God in school? Teach your children to take Him to school with them, in their hearts. I don't look for athletes or celebrities to be role models for my children. I don't look for others to teach my children to act one way or the other. Their mother and I accepted that responsibility the day our first child was born. The bottom line, my friends? Love or hate, compassion or cruelty, acceptance or persecution...each and every one of these things begins at home."

Hear, Hear!

Regards,
Dave

BlueStreak 12-17-2012 05:28 AM

"We didn't sit back and lament that the schools or the government didn't do it for us."

---The best sentence in the whole thing, IMHO.

Regards,
Dave

JJIII 12-17-2012 05:46 AM

Thank you for sharing that.

merrylander 12-17-2012 06:49 AM

Thanks Dave, having had first hand experiencs of His presence I must also agree with your selection of that one sentence also.

piece-itpete 12-17-2012 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueStreak (Post 139124)
"We didn't sit back and lament that the schools or the government didn't do it for us."

---The best sentence in the whole thing, IMHO.

Regards,
Dave

Excellent, and I feel extends far past the matter at hand.

Pete

icenine 12-17-2012 09:53 AM

There is separation of Church and State for a reason....it helps both instituitons to last without corruption of either by the other.

BlueStreak 12-17-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icenine (Post 139152)
There is separation of Church and State for a reason....it helps both instituitons to last without corruption of either by the other.

Excellent way to put it in a nutshell.

Thanks,
Dave

icenine 12-17-2012 10:56 AM

Your welcome!

finnbow 12-17-2012 12:43 PM

The Christian "value" that these folks continue to espouse is proselytizing, something for which I have zero tolerance.

barbara 12-17-2012 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 139186)
The Christian "value" that these folks continue to espouse is proselytizing, something for which I have zero tolerance.

Amen to that!!