Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   The Auto industry (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Elon Musk started a price war that Tesla can't win (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=14106)

Chicks 11-12-2023 09:44 AM

Elon Musk started a price war that Tesla can't win

Elon Musk started a price war that Tesla can't win
https://www.businessinsider.com/elon...rategy-2023-11

Is this "genius" all bluster? I won't need a new car until at least 2027 (my cars always last at least 10 years), at which point I hope Toyota's solid state batteries are proven. I'll not be buying a Tesla, ever.

Quote:

Lower prices are not translating into higher sales. The number of cars Tesla delivered to customers in the third quarter actually declined. Revenue is dropping, and the company's once fat profit margins are getting squeezed — down to 17.9% in the third quarter, compared with 25.1% a year ago. Competitors aren't being driven out of business, either. Once totally dominant in the EV space, Tesla's share of the US market has fallen from 62% at the beginning of the year to only 50% today.

To make matters worse, the public's appetite for EVs isn't growing as fast as automakers expected. That means Tesla has set off a protracted battle for a piece of a pie that's growing crumb by crumb.

"If you do the price war, you have to make sure you have enough volume to increase and maintain profitability," John Zhang, a professor of marketing at the Wharton School, said. "It has to be a continuous battle. This war you have to wage all the way. And you need to plan ahead. That's how you win."

Chicks 04-15-2024 11:54 AM

Tesla layoffs an 'ominous sign' for the company, analyst says
A staff layoff of over 10% is an "unfortunately necessary move for Tesla," Wedbush's Dan Ives added.
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla...153652031.html

This buffoon's loud mouth has cost him a whole lot of customers.

Dondilion 04-15-2024 12:54 PM

Just bad mouthing Elon!
What is missing...Americans cannot afford cars/trucks at the prevailing prices.

The American consumer is maxed out. Debt rides the highways.

That is why there is great fear of Chinese going to Mexico to build cars...$16,000 dollar cars.

Chicks 04-15-2024 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dondilion (Post 428839)
Just bad mouthing Elon!

That is why there is great fear of Chinese going to Mexico to build cars...$16,000 dollar cars.

Henry Ford built cars that the average person could afford. Elon targeted wealthy liberals. Not smart. His Cybertruck is a joke.

finnbow 04-15-2024 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dondilion (Post 428839)
Just bad mouthing Elon!

A bigger issue is that Tesla once was a niche product, largely bought in the US by wealthy liberals. Now nearly every vehicle manufacturer has multiple EV models and those manufacturers haven't alienated their potential buyers by embracing far-right ideology and conspiracy theories.

As for Mexico, pretty much all the big manufacturers (Ford, GM, Chrysler, Nissan, Volkswagen) have a significant presence there already. And the Tesla's Cybertruck makes one wonder if Elon is still serious about making desirable vehicles.

Human 04-16-2024 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 428842)
A bigger issue is that Tesla once was a niche product, largely bought in the US by wealthy liberals.

A fact seemingly not noticed by Elon Musk, who has gone out of his way to piss off wealthy liberals.

I have no delusions that many if not most company CEOs are conservatives, but most have the common sense to keep it somewhat low key.

finnbow 04-16-2024 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Human (Post 428848)
A fact seemingly not noticed by Elon Musk, who has gone out of his way to piss off wealthy liberals.

I have no delusions that many if not most company CEOs are conservatives, but most have the common sense to keep it somewhat low key.

Being a conservative titan of industry is normal, expected and non-controversial. Being a conspiracy-addled, delusional fanboy of authoritarianism, racism and anti-Semitism while praising Putin (i.e., an outspoken MAGAt) is something else altogether.

Human 04-16-2024 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 428849)
Being a conservative titan of industry is normal, expected and non-controversial. Being a conspiracy-addled, delusional fanboy of authoritarianism, racism and anti-Semitism while praising Putin (i.e., an outspoken MAGAt) is something else altogether.

Yes, conservative ≠ MAGA wingnut.

BigElCat 04-16-2024 07:27 PM

There is a battery technology that will be hitting consumer markets sometime within 10 years. It's pretty amazing, but I can't talk about it.

I'm not familiar with Toyota's solid state batteries. It may be similar, or the same thing.

Human 04-17-2024 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigElCat (Post 428863)
There is a battery technology that will be hitting consumer markets sometime within 10 years. It's pretty amazing, but I can't talk about it.

I call bullshit on you having knowledge of future battery technology that is not common knowledge.