Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Current events (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Socialized Medicine - If you can't cure 'em, kill 'em. (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=5190)

barbara 12-19-2012 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piece-itpete (Post 139423)
I agree with hospice having just lived through it.

Even then some of the family blamed the hospital.

You don't have to actively kill someone.

Pete

Pete, I'm not sure what the official hospice policy is, but I do know, from personal experience, that hospice will give one enough drugs to keep them comfortable and the unspoken sentiment I have received was that if one wanted to make one self 'comfortable' for eternity, they had enough drugs on hand to make that choice.

Having sad that, I realize hospices across the country may operate differently. I have only dealt with one in California and one in Illinois and that was my experience both times.

BlueStreak 12-19-2012 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whell (Post 139362)

And, you think the same thing doesn't already happen here?

Holy shit, you're naive.:eek:

Dave

BlueStreak 12-19-2012 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 139385)
The 'cure at all costs culture in the medical establishment' is certainly alive and well in the US and accounts for a significant amount of wasted medical expenditures trying to extend the lives of terminally ill patients. Terri Schiavo, anyone?

How much time have you spent inside of nursing homes full of terminally ill and Alsheimers patients? I've spent enough to know that I may well desire a quick end to it all rather than living in persistent vegetative state. YMMV.

I will never forget what I learned from watching my parents final years and the things my Dad had to say about it......

You know, I think I will go out and buy a gun. Nothing fancy, I only plan to use it once.....when I get too old to take care of myself.

Regards,
Dave

d-ray657 12-19-2012 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueStreak (Post 139456)
I will never forget what I learned from watching my parents final years and the things my Dad had to say about it......

You know, I think I will go out and buy a gun. Nothing fancy, I only plan to use it once.....when I get too old to take care of myself.

Regards,
Dave

Personally, I would prefer the overdose.

Regards,

D-Ray

BlueStreak 12-19-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d-ray657 (Post 139464)
Personally, I would prefer the overdose.

Regards,

D-Ray

Depends on the drug and how long they drag it out. Some of those old vegetables they keep going for years. So long as the rent stays paid up.

Regards,
Dave

piece-itpete 12-19-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbara (Post 139427)
Pete, I'm not sure what the official hospice policy is, but I do know, from personal experience, that hospice will give one enough drugs to keep them comfortable and the unspoken sentiment I have received was that if one wanted to make one self 'comfortable' for eternity, they had enough drugs on hand to make that choice.

Having sad that, I realize hospices across the country may operate differently. I have only dealt with one in California and one in Illinois and that was my experience both times.

It was that. Pull off life support, administer heavy morphine, no feeding tube, just enough water to wet the mouth for comfort.

This guy was TOUGH though. It was obvious the staff expected him to die immediately, lived for almost 3 days...

Pete

Boreas 12-19-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueStreak (Post 139472)
Depends on the drug and how long they drag it out. Some of those old vegetables they keep going for years. So long as the rent stays paid up.

Regards,
Dave

And that's why there's so much resistance to "Death With Dignity" laws.

John

Boreas 12-19-2012 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by piece-itpete (Post 139477)
It was that. Pull off life support, administer heavy morphine, no feeding tube, just enough water to wet the mouth for comfort.

This guy was TOUGH though. It was obvious the staff expected him to die immediately, lived for almost 3 days...

Pete

As opposed to how long if they hadn't DCed life support?

John

barbara 12-19-2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boreas (Post 139480)
As opposed to how long if they hadn't DCed life support?

John

Exactly.
Reminiscent of Terri Schiavo...
But, someone is making $$ while the guilt ridden family empties the bank account.

piece-itpete 12-19-2012 09:58 AM

It was hard enough on the family without actually having him killed.

Pete