Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Politics and the Environment (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Thirty Years On, How Well Do Global Warming Predictions Stand Up? (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=12453)

whell 06-22-2018 01:59 PM

Thirty Years On, How Well Do Global Warming Predictions Stand Up?

WSJ article is worth a read.

On the 30th anniversary of Mr. Hansen’s galvanizing testimony, it’s time to acknowledge that the rapid warming he predicted isn’t happening. Climate researchers and policy makers should adopt the more modest forecasts that are consistent with observed temperatures.

That would be a lukewarm policy, consistent with a lukewarming planet.

bobabode 06-22-2018 02:05 PM

It's an op-ed that is behind a paywall, Mike. :rolleyes:

Chicks 06-22-2018 02:13 PM

The authors both work for Cato, hardly an institution aligned with scientific consensus.

You can be certain Whell’s favorite wingnut media outlets will be shouting this out, though.

bobabode 06-22-2018 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicks (Post 372856)
The authors both work for Cato, hardly an institution aligned with scientific consensus.

You can be certain Whell’s favorite wingnut media outlets will be shouting this out, though.

Why am I not surprised? The Cato Institute formerly known as the Charles Koch Foundation. :rolleyes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cato_Institute

Chicks 06-22-2018 02:26 PM

Cato does fund some valid research in several areas, but their climate papers have always been the subject of scorn by real climate scientists.

nailer 06-22-2018 03:56 PM

Just because you're part of a consensus doesn't necessarily mean your right, but probably does mean that you are at least partially right if not more so.

Can't climate scientists be real if they aren't part of the consensus?

Chicks 10-08-2018 09:02 PM

Interesting segment on today's PBS News Hour

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/wi...urvive-or-sink

Tangier Island is disappearing due to climate change. Yet:

Quote:

James “Ooker” Eskridge:

And we can see the effects of erosion daily, weekly for sure. But the sea level rise, things just look the same to me as they did when I was a boy.

I have been working the bay for 50 years, and pretty much day in, day out. And I just don't see any difference in the sea level.

John Yang:

The debate has drawn national attention, largely because 87 percent of the island's voters went for President Trump, a climate change skeptic.

That prompted CNN to visit last summer.

James “Ooker” Eskridge:

I love Trump as much as any family member I got.

John Yang:

After the broadcast, the president called Eskridge and told him the island would be around for hundreds of years more.

Earl Swift:

There's a great distrust of expertise, of scientific expertise.
Moron president* is telling these poor, ignorant folks that the climate change that is, without a shadow of a doubt, destroying their island, is "fake". And they believe the ass, despite the obvious.

Sigh. How is it possible, in the 21st century, in this great country, that anti science fools are so prevalent? It boggles the mind.

donquixote99 10-09-2018 03:44 AM

I saw this cartoon when I was about 12 or so and saved it for many years. It showed a computer installation of the time, a big room full of complex equipment, tended by white-coated technicians--the tangible products of the highest achievements of man's society and intellect. One of the technicians is gazing out the window though, where he sees a worker sawing a limb off a tree. The worker is perched on the limb that will be sawed-off.

Organized for smartness, we can be pretty smart. By ourselves, we can be pretty stupid.

And you really have to watch out for organized stupidity.

donquixote99 10-09-2018 03:58 AM

Interesting quote just came along....

"People are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education."

Bertram Russell

Chicks 10-31-2018 01:15 PM

Startling new research finds large buildup of heat in the oceans, suggesting a faster rate of global warming

As if the hurricanes weren’t evidence enough for the idiot deniers, now the oceans are heating, which will result in even more and more potent hurricanes, not to mention killing off sea life. How will Fox “News” report this?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/energ...lobal-warming/

Chicks 11-23-2018 01:13 PM

Major Trump administration climate report says damages are ‘intensifying across the country'

Holding up very well, Whell, you moron, According to the Trump Administration’s own report. Too bad you’re too cowardly to defend your posts.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/energ...cross-country/

BlueStreak 11-23-2018 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 372857)
Why am I not surprised? The Cato Institute formerly known as the Charles Koch Foundation. :rolleyes: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cato_Institute

Wasn't Cato the Chinese guy that would leap out of dark corners and attack Inspector Clouseau in his apartment?

BlueStreak 11-23-2018 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicks (Post 375533)
Interesting segment on today's PBS News Hour

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/show/wi...urvive-or-sink

Tangier Island is disappearing due to climate change. Yet:

Moron president* is telling these poor, ignorant folks that the climate change that is, without a shadow of a doubt, destroying their island, is "fake". And they believe the ass, despite the obvious.

Sigh. How is it possible, in the 21st century, in this great country, that anti science fools are so prevalent? It boggles the mind.

I saw a neighbor woman who's little girl had a pacemaker put in a couple weeks ago. I asked her;

"How's your little girl?"

"She's doing wonderful!"

"Well, thank God for the miracles of modern science."

"Science aint got nothin' to do with it! All the glory goes to God, Praise Jesus!!!!"

That, right there is the problem.

The doctors, surgeons, nurses and technicians...… The decades of research by smart people around the globe that led to this moment.....All meaningless because "Jesus got MY back! I am highly favored!". Well, let's see. We've had religion for thousands of years but, sick little girls like hers usually didn't live to see 10 just thirty-forty years ago.

Could this be bullshit?

Oerets 11-23-2018 03:13 PM

Just who created science?

One can believe in both science and Jesus, not one or the other.

donquixote99 11-23-2018 03:28 PM

Men created science. Science is a way of studying and understanding nature, created by men such as Laplace.

See a brief bio and discussion here: https://www.quantumdiaries.org/2011/...-a-hypothesis/

Oerets 11-23-2018 04:01 PM

When water freezes or vaporizes into steam, God does this?
Science is facts of nature, laws. God if one then created science, man just now is beginning to see and understand.
It is not one or the other.

donquixote99 11-23-2018 05:13 PM

My little point is that the facts and laws of nature are not science. Science is our way of uncovering and understanding those facts and laws, which apparently always existed.

How the facts and laws came to be, and why they are what they are, are questions that science really doesn't know much of anything about at this time.

Science works like this:
1. Carefully observe.
2. Reason from what is observed, and nothing else.

So the method isn't much good for unobserved stuff.

Chicks 12-31-2018 10:59 AM

Chuck Todd Refuses To Give Air Time To Climate Deniers: ‘The Science Is Settled’
“We’re not going to debate climate change, the existence of it. The Earth is getting hotter, and human activity is a major cause. Period.”

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b05c88b701abd7

Whell and his idiot pals will have to get their fake news from Faux.

Chicks 01-03-2019 04:48 PM

’Faux & Friends’ Guest: Fossil Fuels ‘Actually Improve the Environment’

Sigh.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/fox-an...he-environment

Chicks 02-20-2019 09:15 PM

White House Panel Will Study Whether Climate Change Is a National Security Threat. It Includes a Climate Denialist.

Sigh. A clown as ignorant as Whell on this panel. Results will be predictable.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/20/c...ty-threat.html

whell 02-23-2019 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicks (Post 376441)
Chuck Todd Refuses To Give Air Time To Climate Deniers: ‘The Science Is Settled’
“We’re not going to debate climate change, the existence of it. The Earth is getting hotter, and human activity is a major cause. Period.”

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b05c88b701abd7

Whell and his idiot pals will have to get their fake news from Faux.

Chuck Todd is qualified to make that assessment, of course, based in his extensive study of the climate and his advanced degrees in science that allow him to draw such supportable conclusions. Riiiiggggghhhhhttt. :rolleyes:

Here's one of my "idiot pals". Nir J. Shaviv - He holds a doctorate (1996) in physics from the Israel Institute of Technology in Haifa. He spent a year as an IBM Einstein Fellow at the highly prestigious Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, New Jersey (2014 — 2015). He is currently Professor and Chair of the Racah Institute of Physics at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Check out the results of his research, if you even have an open enough mind to do so:

http://www.sciencebits.com/ClimateDebate

Thus, it is no surprise that we find in our GSA Today paper that Cosmic Ray Flux variations appear to be the largest driver of climate change over geological time scales. However, one of the secondary conclusions we reach in the paper is that CO2 had only a secondary climate role over geological time scales, and that Earth's sensitivity to changes in the radiation budget is not as large as most of the climate community believes...

Or, maybe this "idiot": Richard Lindzen. He holds a PhD (1964) in applied mathematics from Harvard University. He is currently Professor Emeritus in the Department of Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences at MIT. The guy has a history of absolutely brilliant work, including solving a problem that had been discussed for over 100 years by some of the best minds in physics, including Lord Kelvin, namely, the physics of atmospheric tides (daily variations in global air pressure). He also has provided a theory that competes with the "consensus", and is a critic of the idea that "the science is settled".

There are more. But by simply suggesting that there might be room for continued debate on this idea, those who disagree draw the ire of (ahem) noted intellectual luminaries like (ahem) you, Chuck todd and AOC (how HAS she become the face of the Donkey party anyway???).

Its not "settled science". There's always room for debate. And the lack of willingness to debate and simply demonize those who might not agree that its "settled science", to me, underscores the need for concern and skepticism about those who are willing to push an agenda rather than discuss it.

whell 02-23-2019 11:02 AM

This is FASCINATING. Watching these poor kids, who have come to believe that "the Earth is dying" and that "scientists have said we have 12 years to turn this around" - the indoctrination is sad. "My grandparent's house burned down in the Paradise fire", and then the kids suggests its due to climate change. Then, the come toting the Green New Deal into DiFi's office, and they run smack into a "condescending" DiFi.

She blames the Repubs for blocking Senate action - failing to mention that the Dems had the majority a few times during her tenure.

But these kids are channelling the new face of the Dem party, Ms Ocasio - Cortez, and her "Green New Deal". After a while, even DiFi has enough of the alarm-ism.

donquixote99 02-23-2019 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whell (Post 377338)
Chuck Todd is qualified to make that assessment, of course, based in his extensive study of the climate and his advanced degrees in science that allow him to draw such supportable conclusions. Riiiiggggghhhhhttt. :rolleyes:

Here's one of my "idiot pals". Nir J. Shaviv - He holds a doctorate (1996) in physics from the Israel Institute of Technology in Haifa. He spent a year as an IBM Einstein Fellow at the highly prestigious Institute for Advanced Study in Princeton, New Jersey (2014 — 2015). He is currently Professor and Chair of the Racah Institute of Physics at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem. Check out the results of his research, if you even have an open enough mind to do so:

http://www.sciencebits.com/ClimateDebate

Thus, it is no surprise that we find in our GSA Today paper that Cosmic Ray Flux variations appear to be the largest driver of climate change over geological time scales. However, one of the secondary conclusions we reach in the paper is that CO2 had only a secondary climate role over geological time scales, and that Earth's sensitivity to changes in the radiation budget is not as large as most of the climate community believes...

Or, maybe this "idiot": Richard Lindzen. He holds a PhD (1964) in applied mathematics from Harvard University. He is currently Professor Emeritus in the Department of Earth, Atmospheric and Planetary Sciences at MIT. The guy has a history of absolutely brilliant work, including solving a problem that had been discussed for over 100 years by some of the best minds in physics, including Lord Kelvin, namely, the physics of atmospheric tides (daily variations in global air pressure). He also has provided a theory that competes with the "consensus", and is a critic of the idea that "the science is settled".

There are more. But by simply suggesting that there might be room for continued debate on this idea, those who disagree draw the ire of (ahem) noted intellectual luminaries like (ahem) you, Chuck todd and AOC (how HAS she become the face of the Donkey party anyway???).

Its not "settled science". There's always room for debate. And the lack of willingness to debate and simply demonize those who might not agree that its "settled science", to me, underscores the need for concern and skepticism about those who are willing to push an agenda rather than discuss it.

There is always time for actual scientific debate, among good, rational, open-minded scientists. Among politicians, against the closed-minded committed-to-opposition deniers, it's pretty pointless. If you have the votes, do the right thing. If you don't, campaign to get them. That's it.

Chicks 02-23-2019 11:28 AM

That Whell STILL argues the Big Oil line of bull shows just how incredibly ignorant he is. Sad!

The science is settled, Whell, you f'ing moron.

Here's a scientific refutation of your crackpot: https://www.skepticalscience.com/ske...rd_Lindzen.htm

whell 02-25-2019 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicks (Post 377341)
That Whell STILL argues the Big Oil line of bull shows just how incredibly ignorant he is. Sad!

The science is settled, Whell, you f'ing moron.

Here's a scientific refutation of your crackpot: https://www.skepticalscience.com/ske...rd_Lindzen.htm

Speaking of F'ing morons...certainly takes one to know one. :rolleyes:

Here's another F'ing moron, and the latest face of the Donkey party, weighing in on climate change. Ya' know? After her latest comments, I might have to start agreeing with you on this topic:

"Our planet is going to hit disaster if we don't turn this ship around and so it's basically like, there's a scientific consensus that the lives of children are going to be very difficult," Ocasio-Cortez said while chopping up food in her kitchen during an Instagram live video. "And it does lead, I think, young people to have a legitimate question, you know, 'Is it okay to still have children?'

So, I guess the Dems need to lead by example. Stop reproducing. :D

And this is in response to the DiFi video posted earlier:

"This idea that 'I've been working on this for x-amount of years,' um, it's like not good enough," Ocasio-Cortez said. "Like, we need a universal sense of urgency, and people are like trying to introduce watered-down proposals that are frankly going to kill us. A lack of urgency is going to kill us."

So, ya know, if like, we don't like, adopt the Green New Deal like right now...I guess...like, we're all gonna die.

Keep talking, AOC. We love ya! :rolleyes:

Oerets 02-25-2019 10:53 AM

The only saving grace for the climate change deniers is this fact alone. They will be dead and gone before all of the shame is applied by those who follow. Will never know the hatred and ridicule applied towrds them.
Are they just being contrarians or are darker intentions involved? Only they can answer to this, if even aware.
Probably not!
Those who deny will only attack, argue others facts. Having no real science behind their argument. Only opinions and ignorance. Not wanting to believe does not change the facts when shown, rather happy just to ignore in order to be comfortable. Not willing to sacrifice now for the greater good.

Truth be know it maybe already to late for this planet and the human race.

Dondilion 02-25-2019 11:02 AM

"Is it ok to still have children?" WTF one more reason to promote policies against births.

Chicks 02-25-2019 11:20 AM

White House to set up panel to counter climate change consensus, officials say

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...2e9_story.html

Larry, Curly and Moe are onboard, so long as the payola is high enough. Sigh.

Quote:

The National Security Council initiative would include scientists who question the severity of climate impacts and the extent to which humans contribute to the problem, according to these individuals, who asked for anonymity to discuss internal deliberations.

The group would not be subject to the same level of public disclosure as a formal advisory committee.

Public records show the coalition, which describes its mission as informing policymakers and the public of the “important contribution made by carbon dioxide to our lives and the economy,” has received money from far-right organizations and donors with fossil fuel interests.

In 2017, according to federal tax filings obtained by the Climate Investigations Center, the group received $170,000 from the Mercer Family Foundation and more than $33,000 from the Charles Koch Institute.
Big Oil simply LOVES morons like Whell, willing and eager to swallow their bullshit unquestionably. Sad!

Don’t like what the real scientists say? Simple. Pay off a bunch of hacks to tell you lies.

donquixote99 02-25-2019 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dondilion (Post 377359)
"Is it ok to still have children?" WTF one more reason to promote policies against births.

That thing zooming over your head is the actual point, which was not to diss having children. It was hyperbole to emphasize the massive concern she thinks is warranted over climate change.

It's generally not a good idea to take hyperbole literally.

bobabode 02-25-2019 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whell (Post 377339)
This is FASCINATING. Watching these poor kids, who have come to believe that "the Earth is dying" and that "scientists have said we have 12 years to turn this around" - the indoctrination is sad. "My grandparent's house burned down in the Paradise fire", and then the kids suggests its due to climate change. Then, the come toting the Green New Deal into DiFi's office, and they run smack into a "condescending" DiFi.

She blames the Repubs for blocking Senate action - failing to mention that the Dems had the majority a few times during her tenure.

But these kids are channelling the new face of the Dem party, Ms Ocasio - Cortez, and her "Green New Deal". After a while, even DiFi has enough of the alarm-ism.

CNN? I guess you didn't get the memo, bro. :rolleyes:

As usual, you're a tool and a dull one at that. The freshwoman, AOC has you poor old cons in a lather, breathlessly awaiting a leftwing Teabagger movement to destroy the Democratic Party the way your morons destroyed the GOP. I've heard that if you hold your breath long enough, you'll turn blue, Mike. :D

Dondilion 02-25-2019 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donquixote99 (Post 377361)
That thing zooming over your head is the actual point, which was not to diss having children. It was hyperbole to emphasize the massive concern she thinks is warranted over climate change.

It's generally not a good idea to take hyperbole literally.

One has to take this one serious . One has to put it in context of what is observable. The anti - birth crowd and the 12 years shouters are part of the same crew.

donquixote99 02-26-2019 07:19 AM

1. There is an anti-birth crowd?

2. "Thirty years ago, a NASA scientist, James Hansen, told lawmakers at a Senate hearing that “global warming is now large enough that we can ascribe with a high degree of confidence a cause-and-effect relationship with the greenhouse effect.” He added that there “is only 1 percent chance of accidental warming of this magnitude.”

This is the first sentence of this review of 30 YEARS of getting nowhere on climate change. The statistical certainty of greenhouse climate change has now risen to the 'five sigma' level, that is, from 1/100 chance of error to 1/1,000,000. That is what the '12-year shouters' are shouting about.

Dondilion 02-26-2019 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donquixote99 (Post 377369)
1. There is an anti-birth crowd?

2. "Thirty years ago, a NASA scientist, James Hansen, told lawmakers at a Senate hearing that “global warming is now large enough that we can ascribe with a high degree of confidence a cause-and-effect relationship with the greenhouse effect.” He added that there “is only 1 percent chance of accidental warming of this magnitude.”

This is the first sentence of this review of 30 YEARS of getting nowhere on climate change. The statistical certainty of greenhouse climate change has now risen to the 'five sigma' level, that is, from 1/100 chance of error to 1/1,000,000. That is what the '12-year shouters' are shouting about.

1) Yes. They have a very powerful influence in large cities. Here in NYC the propaganda against reproduction is pervasive; abortion is talked about with a casual air: no sign of qualms or queasiness.
Anecdotally many people here view children as a menace to life and progress. First the attitude was distinctly white middle class. Now it has spread to many different classes and ethnic groups. Only the Hispanics seem to be resisting.

2) I would just hope the shouters make their argument and leave the children out of it.

whell 02-26-2019 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 377363)
CNN? I guess you didn't get the memo, bro. :rolleyes:

As usual, you're a tool and a dull one at that. The freshwoman, AOC has you poor old cons in a lather, breathlessly awaiting a leftwing Teabagger movement to destroy the Democratic Party the way your morons destroyed the GOP. I've heard that if you hold your breath long enough, you'll turn blue, Mike. :D

Typical nonsense. :rolleyes: AOC has establishment Dems far more "in a lather" than she does anyone on the right.

The MSM loves to quote her and feature her. She's become the darling. And it only makes sense - Dems are more fond or soshulism than capitalism, at least according to Gallup, and of course according to some of the commentary here.

AOC isn't the only evidence of the continuing leftward shift of the Dem party. Bernie's success in 2016 emboldened a number of far left Dems to jump into the mix. As the Atlantic says quite succinctly, though: The future of the Democratic Party looks a lot like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

You can try to distance yourself all you want. You've celebrated the "demographic changes" that you think spell doom for Repubs, and maybe they will. But don't under-estimate how those same changes might impact the Dems as well.

Chicks 02-26-2019 05:25 PM

Don'cha love it when Whell gets all condescending, as if he actually understands anything at all, lol. Too funny!

Bet'cha his bestest hero is Spiro Agnew.

finnbow 02-26-2019 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whell (Post 377373)
Typical nonsense. :rolleyes: AOC has establishment Dems far more "in a lather" than she does anyone on the right.

Not really. MAGAMedia has at least a story a day about AOC. In any event, I'll take here and her two Muslim sisters over over Matt Gaetz, Louie Gohmert and Steve King.

bobabode 02-26-2019 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 377377)
Not really. MAGAMedia has at least a story a day about AOC. In any event, I'll take here and her two Muslim sisters over over Matt Gaetz, Louie Gohmert and Steve King.

...and twice on Sunday. After today's antics from Matt Gaetz, he should keep a sharp eye on his six for the next few years. I was watching Donnie Deutch on the tube today and the attack on Mike Cohen's wife and family won't go unnoticed. Stupid fecker.

bobabode 02-26-2019 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whell (Post 377373)

The MSM loves to quote her and feature her. She's become the darling. And it only makes sense - Dems are more fond or soshulism than capitalism, at least according to Gallup, and of course according to some of the commentary here.

AOC isn't the only evidence of the continuing leftward shift of the Dem party. Bernie's success in 2016 emboldened a number of far left Dems to jump into the mix. As the Atlantic says quite succinctly, though: The future of the Democratic Party looks a lot like Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez.

You can try to distance yourself all you want. You've celebrated the "demographic changes" that you think spell doom for Repubs, and maybe they will. But don't under-estimate how those same changes might impact the Dems as well.

You really should stop getting all your news from Hannity and crew, it shows.

ps those 'demographic changes' that you're so worried about are unlikely to take place within my or your lifetimes, you nattering nabob of negativity.

whell 03-01-2019 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobabode (Post 377379)
You really should stop getting all your news from Hannity and crew, it shows.

ps those 'demographic changes' that you're so worried about are unlikely to take place within my or your lifetimes, you nattering nabob of negativity.

Another useless post. I provided links to support my statements in the post that you responded to. None of them were from "Humanity". They were from publications that even you would consider mainstream.

If you're going to respond, please at least try to respond with something that makes some level of sense.

whell 03-01-2019 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finnbow (Post 377377)

I'm sure you would. And just think, at one time you were a John Kasich supporter. You continue your leftward drift... :rolleyes: