Political Forums

Political Forums (http://www.politicalchat.org/index.php)
-   Economy (http://www.politicalchat.org/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   10,000+? For how long? (http://www.politicalchat.org/showthread.php?t=574)

BlueStreak 11-14-2009 12:23 AM

10,000+? For how long?

Well, it's been what, three weeks a month since the DOW rose above 10,000?

The day it poked its little head over that mark, I asked (On AK) if anyone thought it was sustainable. Most of the folks over there said "No!".
Well, it has yet to drop significantly. As a matter of fact it continues to rise, albeit slowly. Yeah, maybe I'm being impatient, but is this going to be one of those embarassing moments where somebodys doomsday predictions don't come true?

What do you guys think?

Dave

Sandy G 11-14-2009 03:07 AM

I dunno- The Dow's pretty high, but silver & gold have been doing "land-office business", too, at $1120 an ounce for gold, & $17.00 an ounce for silver-as of Friday the 13th's close...They fluctuate, too, however.

Grumpy 11-14-2009 05:13 AM

I think the Dow is inflated by the propaganda our government is feeding everyone. That and its being propped up on our tax dollars back.

IMO its bound to fail again.

merrylander 11-14-2009 07:24 AM

The theory (or explanation) I heard was that as long as the Fed keeps interest rates at 0 people are taking U.S. dollars overseas, say Thailand and buying Thai Bhats (think that is what they call their money) getting a 4 or 5 % return and then converting it back to U.S. dollars that in the interim had been devalued so they make extra profit. None of this is helping the dollar's value but the thieves in Wall Street could care less.

Fast_Eddie 11-14-2009 07:30 AM

Look at the Dow vs. the Dollar and there's no real mystery. As long as we keep a weak dollar policy in place the Dow will do okay.

Grumpy 11-14-2009 05:40 PM

Mojo jojo !

That is forever how I will envision you speaking your posts LOL

Boreas 11-14-2009 06:10 PM

Wait until commercial mortgages start going into foreclosure. It's coming and it'll send the DJIA into a tailspin.

John

Fast_Eddie 11-14-2009 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grumpy (Post 10177)
Mojo jojo !

That is forever how I will envision you speaking your posts LOL

Somehow seems appropriate, doesn't it?

I am *right*! But yooooouuuuu.

Centralflori 11-14-2009 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merrylander (Post 10144)
The theory (or explanation) I heard was that as long as the Fed keeps interest rates at 0 people are taking U.S. dollars overseas, say Thailand and buying Thai Bhats (think that is what they call their money) getting a 4 or 5 % return and then converting it back to U.S. dollars that in the interim had been devalued so they make extra profit. None of this is helping the dollar's value but the thieves in Wall Street could care less.

Only in America....................Oh wait that happens in pretty much every third world country also.:rolleyes:

Sandy G 11-15-2009 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boreas (Post 10178)
Wait until commercial mortgages start going into foreclosure. It's coming and it'll send the DJIA into a tailspin.

John

Yeah, I keep hearing about that one, too...They all talk about it in darkly ominous tones, like its gonna make the housing mess look like a Sunday-School picnic...Why do I think our entire financial system is basically an ill-constructed pile of pebbles, & if the ONE pebble somehow becomes dislodged, the whole thing comes a-tumblin' down, like the Walls of Jericho ?