View Single Post
Old 12-29-2022, 03:33 PM
Ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B View Post
Small Government is the holy grail for many.

What should small government look like at the Federal level?

Are you in favor of it or not?
Despite this article of conservative faith, the government of a big country needs to be big enough to do big things. BUT....it should look like a small business in terms of operational flexibility and procedure.

I used to work for the federal government, and in those days it would take the better part of a year for an office to buy a printer. I quit and got a private industry job. First day, my boss says 'We need a new printer. Go across the street and buy one.' So I went across the street, and came back with a printer.

Years later, I went back to work for government. I was given a desk, so I called the guys who set up computers. They said 'Are you sure you want your computer now? It's hard to move them.' I wanted to get to work, so I said do it. How hard can moving a computer be? When I got my permanent seat assignment I found out how hard. I had to get 5 signatures, including from bosses who who had nothing to do with me, to get the computer moved. When I joked with one that I was having a 'bureaucratic moment' as I sought his signature, he took umbrage!

I don't know how government might fix endless stuff like this, but I think it would surely help a lot if it could.