View Single Post
Old 10-08-2010, 04:30 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles View Post
Running for office in the house or senate used to mean that u wanted to do something important in the government to help your country,what ever happened to that? As i got home and turned on the television a commercial came on about a person running for office, but said nothing about what they wanted to help do, only what the other person running had done wrong, Now you may think that yes while you want to show some bad qualities of the opposing person, shouldn't you be also be telling good qualities about yourself? The government has become a bad mouthing competition between people, DO these people REALLY deserve to represent the American people?
Good point my naive friend. Modern campaigning is not about what people say. It's about images that can be created, emotions that can be exploited, and sound bites that can be remembered - even by a TV addicted public with a declining attention span. Politicians don't worry about defining themselves if they can be the first to define their opponent.

Regards,

D-Ray