View Single Post
Old 03-17-2017, 11:12 AM
Reformed Know-Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by whell View Post
When is a "loss" not a "loss"? If the state of Michigan decides that I don't have to carry auto insurance anymore, and I decide to cancel my auto insurance policy, did I "lose" my health insurance?
Uh, no. You'd lose your auto insurance.

Quote:
http://www.cnbc.com/2017/03/13/cbo-s...placement.html

Much of the reduction in the number of people who have health coverage next year would result from the bill's proposed repeal of Obamacare's individual mandate, which requires most Americans to have insurance of some form or face a tax penalty.

So, not surprisingly, the media reports have had a laser - like focus on the top-line number, and the hell with the details.
It takes an avowed know-nothing to infer that it's a good thing if people choose not to have health insurance. Health insurance only works if younger, healthier people enroll and pay premiums that help to care for older people. It has always been thus. Secondly, uninsured people become freeloaders who show up at emergency rooms when they're sick or injured at get care at the expense of those who do have insurance, not a great deal unlike uninsured motorists who get into wrecks and live insured motorists holding the bag. Ahhh, freedom.

Last edited by finnbow; 03-17-2017 at 11:39 AM.