View Single Post
Old 05-06-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
Watched Catch-22 yesterday. Fantastic movie.

"The Roman Empire came and went. Italy is till here. Mussolini came and went. Italy is still here. The Nazi Occupiers came and went. Italy is still here. Now you Americans are here and soon you will go, but Italy will STILL be here. Empires come and go..............all of the time. But the people remain. The nation remains. One day your American empire will fall and you will learn that it does not matter.........."

Dave
The book is way better, read it around 1970.

Remember my old buddy (dead) amd myself discussing it in front of his father, referring to it as satire.

His dad (who actually flew on bombers in WWII) told us that is was the most realistic book that he had ever read.

And the old man was right.

While I've forgotten most of it, I still remember the old Eyetie, who, as you pointed out, simply cheered for whoever was winning at the moment, knowing that they would soon be gone...just like everyone else.

And the pilot who crashed into the sea on every sortie. How was he described, "He could make anything or fix anything, talents which guaranteed that he would be poor for the rest of his life"?

And Yossarian.

I still tell people that I feel like Yossarian, walking backwards through life with a .45 strapped to my hip...to prevent people form sneaking up behind me.

I should have learned from that book as opposed to relating to it.

But I was always jaded, even when I was a kid.

Chas