Thread: The root cause
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 01:04 PM
Loyal Opposition

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnbow View Post
I guess it depends if you're referring to consumption of foodstuffs or cheap plastic consumer crap. The former doesn't really bother me for the aforementioned reasons. Think about it. Less than 2% of our population is involved in agriculture and lots of fallow lands, yet we have massive surpluses in nearly all food stuffs.
Perhaps I got off track. I was thinking of consumption in terms of the waste and pollution that is associated with it. For example, if the rest of the world consumed energy at the level that we do, the level of pollution that would result is difficult to fathom - not to mention the pollution issues arising from the increased consumption if consumer goods. There will be issues with the disposal of all of the BPC that breaks down after a year's use.

To your point, however, even feeding the growing population creates problems with resource scarcity. Much of the arable land of which you speak would need considerable irrigation. Our water supply might even be more at risk than our energy supply.

Regards,

D-Ray