View Single Post
Old 07-29-2011, 04:32 PM

D-Ray:

Quote:
Now that the fully funded Social Social security program is going to need some of those IOU's paid off, we suddenly have an entitlement crisis. Social Security has become a target for cuts because there is not enough money to pay the IOU's. In essence, then, the FICA contributions have been converted into an income tax - and a regressive one at that. Those bottom fifty percent that the right likes to highlight have been paying into Social Security just like everyone else. Therefore, it is BS to say that the well-to-do don't get a hefty tax break every time their income exceeds $106K.
Once you buy off on the concept that payroll contributions designed to support SS OASI and MedCare are nothing but a "regressive" tax --- you've destroyed the original altruistic purpose of the programs. They no longer are UNIVERSAL. Because raising the salary cap for collecting them destroys the universal nature of it. In fact, that's already an illusion with the salary cap at $106K.

Don't talk to me about regressive taxes when the lower 49% are totally excused from income tax.. I'm not about to excuse them from "THEIR fair share" for funding UNIVERSAL programs.. If you want to dishonor all that f'in jazz about the "The New Deal" and FDR's wisdom -- have at it.. I've been betrayed and raped enough already..

Maybe we do all meet in the streets like NoOneReal wants.. Because I'm not looking to soak my Doctor or the Atlanta Braves for these thefts.. There are larger matters of principle involved..